ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Eibachs on new replacement stock WRX struts all around (got the struts used with 500 miles for $60), and rear camber bolts. Also have Whiteline rear sway bar and Perrin solid endlinks mounted in the middle hole on the rear sway bar.

Car is 95% street driven, with 2-3 autocrosses each summer, daily driver, tows my jetski when the weather is nice... Has 71,000 miles on it now. Headed to the alignment shop in the next few days once the springs have settled.

From other searches, it sounds like -1 degree camber in front and 0 in back should give me a nice balance with a bit more bite in the front. I don't know what caster or toe settings I should ask for (stock?) I prefer a neutral feel at high speeds, but want the back end to be a little more nimble in low speed turns, but not a drift car. I don't want uneven tire wear (just put Blizzaks on for the upcoming Chicago winter, and will go back to the MX's in March/April).

With all that in mind, what should I tell the alignment shop to set it up for? Thanks in advance for solid recommendations and personal experience type of advice instead of just speculations. :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
With your suspension setup and what you want to do with the car I'd go for as much negative camber as you can get up front (even on each side) and about .5 degrees les negative camber in the rear (again, even on each side). For example if you get -1.2 in front try to get -.7 in the rear. You probably won't be able to get enough negative camber to have accelerated tire wear. If you're really worried about it just make sure they don't give you more than about -1.5 degrees in front, but I doubt you'll get that much with your setup. If you want a little more rotation you could increase the difference between front and rear camber to about .7. Caster isn't really adjustable so you don't need to worry about that. 0 toe all around will probably work well for what you want.

·
Registered
419 Posts
driggity said:
With your suspension setup and what you want to do with the car I'd go for as much negative camber as you can get up front (even on each side) and about .5 degrees les negative camber in the rear (again, even on each side).
Definately get as much negative camber up front as possible. The most negative camber that I could get was -1.4 degrees. I like to keep the rear camber at -1.3 degrees as I like the handling better that way. With front and rear swaybars and this alignment setting, my car is neutral.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I agree w/ driggity's reccomendation- you'll need camber bolts for the rear to do it.

Make sure they do a good job of keeping cross (difference between right and left) camber and toe very close to 0. You should be able to get in the neigborhood of -1.0- 1.5 up front,a half of degree less in the rear would be just about right- courtesy of your camber bolts.

Toe at 0 front/rear.

Big Sky

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
i have -1.3 camber in the front and -1.0 in the rear and my car is nice and neutral for me. i have slid the back end out before, and i have also plowed through turns, but i think that all depends on how i take the turn. the majority of the time my car just slides totally neutrally through the turn and i stay pointed where i want to go the whole time.
i also have eibach springs on stock struts. i have 17x7.5" Rota Attacks with 225/45/17 S-03s, so normally the only time i slide the car is in the rain :) I also have Perrin front and rear sway bars set on soft/medium respectively, and perrin rear endlinks. and i have 0 toe all around.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wrinkleboi, in order to get your 1.0 Deg in the rear, you have the large pointer on the camber bolt faceing towards the wheel right?

Im trying to clear up my understanding of the bolts. I understand toward car is more neg, and toward wheel is more pos. But my question is, when its towards the wheel, its adding more positve to the arleady factore 1.2 right? So lets say if the car came with 1.2, and you wanted 1.0, you need to install the bolt towards the wheel right? To add more positive to the negitive ? lol

Thanks!

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Cheveyboy said:
Wrinkleboi, in order to get your 1.0 Deg in the rear, you have the large pointer on the camber bolt faceing towards the wheel right?

Im trying to clear up my understanding of the bolts. I understand toward car is more neg, and toward wheel is more pos. But my question is, when its towards the wheel, its adding more positve to the arleady factore 1.2 right? So lets say if the car came with 1.2, and you wanted 1.0, you need to install the bolt towards the wheel right? To add more positive to the negitive ? lol

Thanks!
Correct you want the "tab" orientated in the direction you want the top of the wheel to move- towards the car for neg camber, away for positive.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great info, guys! I'll tell them to aim for -1.0 to -1.5 in the front (matching left and right) with .5 degree less in the rear (assuming -.05 to -1.0).

Car pushes more now that it's lowered and with the snow tires on. Looking forward to getting the balance back with the settings you all recommended. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts