ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so when i first came on i was having issues with the car and they seem to be fixed, but now I'm starting to get into the tuning portion to make my mods work together and finally make me happy. I keep getting a ping and missfire (cylinder 3) on the car, when i pull one of my logs from RomRaider knock correction shows "2" @ 6psi, when i turn up the boost to 11psi it starts to show knock of "-1.5" and ping gets louder.. my tuner and i have worked with several softwares, (AEM, Motec, Hondata, Electromotive, etc) but never OpenSource. so its very different to us, all the values used are not the usual we are familiar with for instance "g/rev"..
i would like feed back from you guys that actually tune or are good and familiar with all this stuff. i have read some of the stickies here and on NASIOC, but not a lot of help with MY issues. i really want to get rid of this "ping/knock" when under boost. i went thru one specific sticky of "testes1010" where he was giving away maps and checked his RR tables, his knock reads "8" isn't that bad? i dont know, its stressing me out. i have owned the car for 5 months and i have never pushed the car over 6psi besides the times we are trying to learn this OpenSource. please any help will be good help for me. advice on the tuning and changes yall have made and maybe experienced this "pinging" and missfire issue it will all be very appreciated. sorry if i'm being so vague im typing this before meeting with the family for party...

i was told by AWD Tuning that i need to be tuned in order for ping to go away, because where i have opened up my air flow with all these exhaust upgrades that the factory timing is to aggressive for the car. thats the only info i have received from anyone. is this a fact? Thanks in advance guys!

MODS:
header and up pipe
3 inch down pipe
3 inch catless exhaust
Grimm Speed EBCS
255 Whalbro furl pump
Intake short ram
AEM wideband

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I'm having trouble following your post. Can you provide datalogs? Upload the CSV files to a site like Google Docs (just be sure to mark the document as Public).

The 8° section from the Jeremy map you're referring to is likely the advance table (been a while since I looked at one of his base maps), which is added to base timing (after being multiplied by the IAM) to give you total timing.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Like Matthew said,the 8° is the KC advance table. It has nothing to do with detonation. Detonation is easy to deal with and regardless of software/engine management its dealt with the same way. Either remove timing,lower boost,raise octane or add fuel. So,no offense,but this is an easy fix for an experienced tuner. If you have looked at the ROMs the openloop fueling and base timing advance tables are easy to find. Also read the stickies in the engine management subforum on Opensource tuning. Romraider has tons of info on datalogging which is where I would start. If you can't even understand the data then there is no sense on altering the ROM. The Opensource software is set up just like Ecutek and Cobb's AP as they all retune the factory ECU. These cars are MAF based fueling. Sounds like you guys are used to speed density. Also the missfire issue is rarely a tuning issue and generally a mechanical one.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning-electronic-engine-management/134322905-datalogging-romraider.html
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=056fe587e9db582f0e8ca175a64086ad
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/general-maintenance-troubleshooting-accidents/134337553-if-you-have-misfire-code-please-read.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said we are new to all of this, trust me my tuner knows his ****. These stupid ass values are what I need help with.. Wtf is g/rev? Grams per rev? Do you know how much air weighs now? Do you get me now? I said I need advice on these values, never used this **** before. I don't need any negative BS comments. Either help me or don't and let someone else help, we know the dam concept to reduce ping adjust timing, fuel boost etc but its hard when he has never worked with these types of values and has never even heard of OpenSource because everyone we work with buys $1000 engine managements..

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's trying to do everything on spare time since he and I both work a lot, its difficult to spend a day looking thru forums and checking out different websites like I have been. I figured I would ask for help, if you have the time to type something to try and make someone look stupid just answer the question and help someone out. All I need is help with the values, as far as tuning once we know the significant of the values he knows what to change and what to leave alone. My car is the first he is doing with OpenSource and I don't need anything going wrong because of a stupid miss reading

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I apologize if I'm sound like a d!€{ or sound rude, I'm just hating this car more and more, I haven't enjoyed it one bit since I got it and its frustrating reading so many threads but NONE of.them help with MY issues or reading the OpenSource values.. I haven't had any luck and limited time on research which is why I just decided to make a thread about... I apologize for getting frustrated

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
G/rev is engine load. If your that worried about your car being the Guenna pig then take it to someone that is used to working on Subies. It's that simple bud..........your making this an issue that really doesn't even have to exist. Get the problem fixed and then work on learning from there. Your crying about not having time. Who gives a crap what G/rev mean. It an obvious point on the axis right? You have rpm and g/rev. You log the car with those two parameters included and where there is knock you change the values just like on any other engine management. You guys are making this harder than it is. Both the base timing tables and the openloop fueling use these two as the "x & y" axis labels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First I wouldn't take my car to any other tuner for the fact that my tuner has made all my previous cars fast and reliable, he's the one I trust. There are like three other tuners in town and they are all about HP #s! It's stupid! I want my car to last and these other places hit the track and 75% of the time tow their crap back home. Next week we are gonna MAKE TIME to review several things before tuning, plus I want him to learn this stuff that way we can bring in more Subaru's and EVO's to the shop, because it seems those cars are gettin to be very popular around here now. I used to work at this shop and continue to support him

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
"The axis value “Load” for ign and fueling tables, given in unit of g/rev, can be obtained from a MAF reading in g/s and the RPM of the engine. example: My engine logged 202 g/s at 5666rpms. so, in order to convert 202 g/s to g/rev, we do this: divide rpms by 60 to turn it into rev (which is actually revolution per second, not revolution per minute, which is pretty much uniformly referred to in the ECU as RPM. I denote this because in conversation “revs” usually refers to RPMs. NOT FOR ECUS IT DOESN’T!) so, 5666/60=94.434 then, we divide g/s by rev so, 202/94.434=2.139 g/rev, which is what the axis is in."

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Altering your ECU Image Using ECUEdit Subaru ECU Engine Load Calculation

Subaru ECU Engine Load Calculation

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Also running an aftermarket EBCS and intake without retuning for them can cause serious issues as well. Not sure if the car was previously tuned for those mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts