ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you catch Austin Dillon's horrific crash last night during the closing moments of the NASCAR Coke Zero 400 from Daytona? Luckily, he walked away but some fans had to be treated for minor injuries after debris managed to go over and through the barrier fence. Thank goodness, none of them were serious and the safety equipment did its job.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
In my opinion, if fans had to be treated for any injuries at all, then the safety equipment definitely did NOT do its job. Seems like this happens often. They might want to do something about that.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,527 Posts
They need to reduce speed and eliminate that packed racing from the superspeedways.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,103 Posts
I've found though that if you mute the announcers (who are usually unlistenable) and play banjo music to looped video of crashes it can be very fun to watch for children.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
There is a long standing thought the catch fences are not to the task of dealing with the debris from a NASCAR race. I don't know if its track owners not wanting to pony up for better fences, or if NASCAR has an extremely low expectation the fences have to meet, but this exact problem comes up every few years.

When I was younger I would watch NASCAR but as I got into my teens I started watching more wrc and F1 as it was actually shown on TV from time to time. Today I'll still sit and binge watch rally and rally cross if I catch it on but won't really go out of my way for it.

NASCAR is slowly dying. Tracks are cutting seating, because they can't fill them, and other racing events are more accessible on TV, and available to participate. So unless NASCAR changes their all left all the time format it won't last forever.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,103 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts