1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

Got a '17 WRX AT today :)

I am coming form a N54 BMW 335i :eek3:

Love the car so far. Two things that need to change ASAP is the sound system (terrible) and the lights (want some HID bulbs).

What can you guys recommend for a good HID upgrade and a good sound sytem. Just want a crisp in clean sound nothing too extreme. My BMWs stock sytem was amazing with two subs under the seats.

Anything else I need to know, I am WRX noob.

Thank you!

IMG_2287.jpg

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had an M54 Z4 and an N55 X3. Both a blast to drive.

I think you'll like this car. It's less refined but lighter and more involving than most BMW's, though I would rank my Z4 as an amazing NA ride as well.

Curious why you went from a 335 to a WRX, and how you think they compare?

Don't have any headlight recommendations. Re' the stereo, I have a JL system. It uses the WRX's headunit and a DSP (Fix-86), upgraded speakers and amp, and subwoofer.

FiX-86 - Car Audio - Processors - OEM Integration - JL Audio

I like having the OEM headunit functionality. The JL system is not a spleen-busting bass experience but will greatly improve the clarity of the sound source. I listen to streaming audio through iTunes 95% of the time. I couldn't imagine going back to the stock stereo.

Since it was installed by the dealer, I don't know the exact cost, but it was listed at $1600. I imagine it could be had for several hundred less than that.

I would check out a local dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dr Jeff.

Haven't had a lot of time with the WRX to compare yet. These care are in different classes so of course the 335i has lots of pluses that the WRX cant touch. The main thing is the power. The 335i is scary fast with just a few bolton's and a tune. The only other thing that I really liked about the 335i is the heavy steering wheel that the WRX lacks. The 335i stared drinking oil so the turbos needed to be replaced. I was planing to do that then it got hit by an uninsured driver and cant afford both repairs.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Keep an eye on your Subaru they tend to drink oil as well. You will enjoy the WRX. I'm a 550i convert and love the wrx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've never had any oil problems with my Subies, but the BMW's...

I am still a BMW fan. The 3L twin-turbo engine is just wonderful performance-wise--very linear acceleration, most impressive at higher speeds, i.e., from 50-100. With maintenance will last forever.

However, the 3L engines are notorious for oil leaks of various kinds, one reason being the poor quality of the gaskets, which break down over time. The complexity of the engine design means that getting to the leak requires an inordinate amount of work, which is why repairs are so expensive.

I liked my X3 a lot, but it had quite a few miles on it and was out of warranty, so I decided a new Subaru would be less likely to surprise me with unexpected expenses. So far I'm not missing the X3 too much, though I do miss my old Z4 on nice sunny days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep an eye on your Subaru they tend to drink oil as well. You will enjoy the WRX. I'm a 550i convert and love the wrx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
As long as its not 1q every 500 miles like my poor BMW did its ok.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For a whole system reconfigure and keeping the stock head unit you could jump on the OEM+ system. It's essentially plug n play to the OEM locations

http://oemaudioplus.com/subaru/

As for an HID kit, you may have the halogen projectors which some members will dog you for putting HID conversion into so whatever lol I went with Kensington HID and LED for the fog lights. Both can be had on Amazon

If you drive spirited I'd recommend OCI every 3k miles with any Wally's world off the shelf or subaru Dealer oil, otherwise coming from a BMW you may know of Motul? Try the 8100 XClean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
As long as its not 1q every 500 miles like my poor BMW did its ok.
I had the gasket leaks taken care of before they leaked very badly--just some oil staining around the engine. I decided it was too much of a challenge for me to do without a proper garage or equipment. The repairs were fairly expensive--$6-800 each.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts