Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a ticket because my exhaust is too loud/modified. damn, one day before leaving for greece. does such a ticket screw up my supervisions? its not a moving violation so i doubt it. will it increase insurance?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm from Maryland, here its not to big of a deal. You have have the exhaust inspected (cost $10). But moddifying your exhaust is illiagle so you must change it back to stock. Just dont let it happen alot. I've gotten three now, the inspector told me the DMV may send me a $500 fine if they figure out I got three. And that next time they may pull my tags. Luckly its been by three diff cops so they may not notice. Oh yeah and the last two times I got it inspected I had a catless up-pipe on it and they didn't say anything. And it shouldn't affect your insurance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got one on my Firehawk last year in WoodDale. It's not a moving violation, and won't affect your insurance, or the status of your drivers license (unless you don't pay it).

Just keep your eyes peeled for cops anytime you're gonna be on the gas, and keep the revs as low as you can if Officer Friendly is nearby.

My Invidia DP is going on today, so I'll be full catless with the Borla exhaust. I'm thinking I'll be a tad loud myself here in a few hours. :D

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
By the way, Kalo Taxidi ellinopaido. I'm stuck in the US all summer, sigh...

The trouble will really depend on what they have the time and energy to do. Technically swapping out an exhaust in a newer car is illegal, and removing a catalyst is a federal no-no. If they are
inclined to push they can create all sorts of problems.

But they usually aren't - and in a large city everyone has other stuff to do I'm sure (crime comes to mind). Your best bet is to deal with the "fix it" ticket - which no doubt this will only amount to, no more - and figure out a way to not get caught at it again since it's not worth the hassle. Maybe put on enough stuff to pass by the fix and then either stay that way or figure out something that'll not draw as much attention - and definitely replace *everything* if you want to be extra-safe come state inspection time, if you have one.
SD

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not a fix it ticket. anyhow, my father is completely pissed and he will go to court for me on the date of the court. he is taking over my car and going to buy me a new one instead that is not modified. he is going to put a muffler on it too, one that looks stock. i took her out again today and i feel really sad that im going to lose her, but at least its still going to be in the family. now, im contemplating over the evo or r32. BOTH WILL NOT BE MODIFIED... exept chip if applicable :) hehe!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wait. You got a ticket and instead of fixing it, your dad is taking your getting a more expensive one?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just got pulled over this week too, but with a warning. I hope the Chicago Suburbs aren't trying to crack down on us.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Where I live most people have pickups and a lot are straight pipes with no cats and noone ever gets in trouble. we don't do emissions tests in my city either hehe.

·
Registered
949 Posts
WR Xilr8 said:
I just got pulled over this week too, but with a warning. I hope the Chicago Suburbs aren't trying to crack down on us.
Dude, I was driving on 290 and there was a sign that said "1800 speeding tickets in 2 weeks" "SLOW DOWN" :p

I'd say they're trying to crack down on speeders a bit.:(

·
Registered
144 Posts
ellinopedo182 said:
im contemplating over the evo or r32. BOTH WILL NOT BE MODIFIED... exept chip if applicable :) hehe!
why not sti? the sti will be the best daily driver and fastest. you really want vw or mitsu reliability?...err, rather lack of?

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
I guess it all depends on the cop. I got pulled over way back when driving my turbo 280zx shooting flames out the 3" exhaust. The cop thought it was the coolest thing and just wanted to tell me that. Other times I wasn't so fortunate, when I was 18 i was at the local 7-11 when the cop pulled in and announced that I had better scrape all the tint off my windows before leaving the parking lot or I will get a ticket. He sat for an hour while I scraped and pulled the tint off my windows. It all depends on the cop;)

(ive never tinted a window since:( )

·
Registered
648 Posts
Chunks said:
yeah alabama... thats the only good thing about living here... luckily i will be outta here soon.
I just moved back to Alabama...you might not like it here but I must say it's infinitely better than South Carolina.

No inspections are good and you're allowed to swap out exhaust pieces as much as you want, so long as you have a functioning muffler of some kind.

RN

1 - 20 of 30 Posts