Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't the greatest accomplishment but thought that I'd mention it since I walked the dude in the Porsche :D

Well, leaving for lunch today I got on the on ramp which lead to the main highway. I glanced into the reaview mirror and saw a small black car coming up quickly from behind. He had no choice but to get in back of me since the two lanes was now merging.

I thought to myself that the 911 guy was probably going to try and bolt out around me as soon as he got the chance, which he did. I could tell he had the pedal planted to the floor as I could see fuel enrichment exiting his exhaust tips and him taking off quickly. Of course, I said nope and chased him down. We got stopped behind traffic and when it cleared he was off again. I followed but not too close since there was more traffic around than I was comfortable with.

I caught up once again as he hit traffic for the second time. This time, when the traffic opened up I chased after and was gaining, gaining and passing him by the middle of 3rd gear and then we both slowed again for traffic. Well, wouldn't you know it, he was getting off on the same exit that I was.

I got up in back of him and rode close. As we approached the top of the ramp I dropped it into second at 50mph and at the same time the cars in front of us cleared and we both punched it. By the top of 2nd about 65mph I had closed the gap and we were side by side. I through it into 3rd and pulled another 1.5 - 2 cars and then shut it down just before 100mph.

Well dude must've been pissed and did a ricer fly-by :confused: and continued on to probably 140mph. My car is loud as hell and I know he could hear me let off the gas too.

Oh well, that was fun for some lunchtime excitement :cool: Too bad the guy in the Porsche had to be a butt and wouldn't even acknowledge his ass whoopin' with a friendly wave or anything.

BTW, I was curious to see what kind of performance the 911 Carrera 4 puts down and found this:

1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 4/4S

Specifications

Engine: opposed 6 cylinder
Displacement: 3.6 liters
Horsepower: 282hp @ 6,700 rpm
Torque: 250 lb-ft @ 5,250rpm
Compression ratio: 11.3:1
Drivetrain: Rear engine / All-wheel drive
Transmission: 6 Speed manual
Brakes: vented and cross drilled discs
Length: 4,260 mm (167.8 in)
Width: 1,735 mm (68.3 in)/1,795 mm (70.7)(4S)
Height: 1,315 mm (51.8 in)
Wheelbase: 2,272 mm (89.5 in)
Track front/rear: 1,405/1,474 mm (55.3/58 in) / 1,411/1,504 mm (55.6/59.3 in)(4S)
Curb weight: 3,175 lbs (1,450 kg)/3,197 lbs (1,450 kg)(4S)
Acceleration 0-60 mph: 5.2 sec.
Top track speed: 171 mph / 168 mph (4S)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good Race!

I guess some people who pay that kind of money for a car don't like economy Japanese vehicles being able to hang, much less beat them.

Last weekend my wife was driving and got into it with an older 928, but I'll save the details of that for another post (no hijack :) )

·
Registered
499 Posts
I saw a Carrera of some sort with 3 crotch rockets following it the other day. Took all I had not to e-brake turn and give chase. Carreras are MIGHTY fine lookin rides. I know those four folks were up to no good, and I wanted in on the action :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
silverscooby said:
If I'm not mistaken the newer 4s' have over 300hp, not 282 like the 97 you listed. Do you know what year it was?

Nice kill, for some reason none of the Porsche owners will play with me. :mad:
I'm really not sure. I was just curious and that's what I found with what looked like what I raced with the "Carrera 4" badge on the trunk lid. It was a convertible with the top down and a windscreen in back of the front seats.

If any of you guys are Porsche buffs, did the Carrera 4 covertible have the windscreen in '97 or was it a later model year?

BTW silverscooby, I really don't get a lot of races reagardless around Charlotte, this one was luck (now this dude's ego is all messed up....haha) :p

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Gotta love it...our little Subarus are capable of beating Porsches :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts