ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my WRX in July and within the last 3 months I have put a pretty good amount of money into it. Take a look, and let me know your expert thoughts.
What would you guys recommend for my current setup?

2004 Subaru WRX (2.0L)
SPT Short Ram Intake
SPT Air Intake Shield
Invidia Up-Pipe
SPT Turbo Heat Shield
Invidia Catless Downpipe
Invidia G200 3'' Titanium Exhaust Setup (No Resinator)
COBB Acessport 2.0 running the Stage 2 Oct 93 Rev 1.30

What would you experts recommend next?

I was looking at the Light Main Pully, WideBand Gauge, AEM TrueBoost Gauge (Has Boost Controller Built In) and an Oil Pressure Gauge.

After those mods is what I am concerned about, I want to upgrade my turbo. I want more boost, so what turbo do you recommend? From what I have read up on these forums, Upgrading your Turbo requires sometimes a Front Mount Intercooler. (If I am wrong tell me). I am also looking at Injectors and a fuel pump. <-- is the fuel pump needed

MY question basically is:
WHat Turbo?
What FMIC, with what Kit?
What Injectors?
What Fuel Pump?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
What would you experts recommend next?

I was looking at the Light Main Pully, WideBand Gauge, AEM TrueBoost Gauge (Has Boost Controller Built In) and an Oil Pressure Gauge.
Skip the pully as Stage 2 doesnt allow it. Skip the wideband gauge, skip any type of boost controller (your AP does that dont mess with it), Oil pressure could be nice. You need a Boost Gauge and an EGT gauge.

MY question basically is:
WHat Turbo?
What FMIC, with what Kit?
What Injectors?
What Fuel Pump?
VF34, VF22 or 16G - Cobb supports them all w/ OTS maps
TMIC - check ebay the Huge ones are a good value
STi Pink injectors
Stock fuel pump is fine

·
Registered
386 Posts
What are plans for the car?
I run a VF30, Hyperflow FMIC, Pinks, Walbro 255 pump, Cobb AP with street tuner and custome tune. My car is used for track days and is street driven. This setup works well for me, but you might not like it.
A FMIC can add to turbo lag, so a TIMC might be better. A fast spooling small turbo might work better, than a larger laggy one.
The list that Downsh1ft gave are most common one used. I also agree about the gauges.
I will say that a good tune will be night and day difference over an OTS map.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skip the pully as Stage 2 doesnt allow it. Skip the wideband gauge, skip any type of boost controller (your AP does that dont mess with it), Oil pressure could be nice. You need a Boost Gauge and an EGT gauge.

VF34, VF22 or 16G - Cobb supports them all w/ OTS maps
TMIC - check ebay the Huge ones are a good value
STi Pink injectors
Stock fuel pump is fine

1. What Gauge Manufactor do you recommend, I want all matching gauges, i want things to look clean?

2. I will purchase a TMIC yet, I am uneasy about ebay, are there any respectable companies out there that specialize in Aftermarket WRX TMIC?

3. STI Pink Injectors go for how much?

4. COBB OTS Maps < Custom Tune Correct? How much does a custom tune USUALLY (looking for an estimate) go for? I was thinking about these guys http://www.agileauto.com/index.php

Everyones Feedback is excellent keep it coming please :)

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
1. What Gauge Manufactor do you recommend, I want all matching gauges, i want things to look clean?
2. I will purchase a TMIC yet, I am uneasy about ebay, are there any respectable companies out there that specialize in Aftermarket WRX TMIC?
3. STI Pink Injectors go for how much?
4. COBB OTS Maps < Custom Tune Correct? How much does a custom tune USUALLY (looking for an estimate) go for? I was thinking about these guys http://www.agileauto.com/index.php
  1. Defi, GReddy Trust, Maddad Clarity
  2. Perrin, TurboXS, STI. I have an XO2Racing Huge Ebay TMIC and its great for like $250
  3. $225 used
  4. Yes. $300 for a Pro Tune on a dyno and hopefully some street time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
  1. Defi, GReddy Trust, Maddad Clarity
  2. Perrin, TurboXS, STI. I have an XO2Racing Huge Ebay TMIC and its great for like $250
  3. $225 used
  4. Yes. $300 for a Pro Tune on a dyno and hopefully some street time.
1 I agree
2 look for a used Hyperflow TMIC, I ran one before the FMIC. When buying an IC check the numbers, flow and pressure drop.
3 check out http://www.deatschwerks.com/catalog/ cheaper than pinks and many good reviews.
4 I think Agile's price is higher than $300, I have heard good thing about them also.

OTS = off the shelf , these are Cobbs base maps.

You still haven said what you plan to do with car, drag, track, auotx, or just a DD.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drag and DD

·
Banned
0 Posts
You might want to consider opensource tunning as an option. There are plenty of tuners willing to tune and it will save you money in the long run. Cobb is great, but in your case I think OTS would be making decisions for you.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know what kind of Boost PSI I can expect with the VF34, VF22 or 16G? Along with Estimated Horsepower if I am running

SPT Short Ram Intake
SPT Air Intake Shield
Invidia Up-Pipe
SPT Turbo Heat Shield
Invidia Catless Downpipe
Invidia G200 3'' Titanium Exhaust Setup (No Resinator)
COBB Acessport 2.0 running the Stage 2 Oct 93 Rev 1.30

+
One of those Turbos
STI Pinks Injectors
Larger TMIC ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm running a Deadbolt Super 16g, and I'm tuned for max boost of 22 psi. I still use this as my daily driver...I have pretty much the same setup that you're looking for, including Helix 660's, a Walbro 255, and a Turboxs TMIC. I was also tuned at Agile Auto, and I would definitely recommend them. The prices may be a little higher, but Hill does a great job and will tune it for the type of application that you want. Personally I think that if you're done modding your car, you might as well get a protune...it's far more customized for your car than an OTS map is, and you can still use your AP. My .02.

·
Registered
386 Posts
250-300 depends on the tune and dyno. My VF30 is almost the same as the 34, I made 285whp at 18 psi. I have not dyno with my race gas and methanol injection setup with 28 psi.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will upgrading my TMIC now? Hurt my current setup at all?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Purchasing an Aftermarket IC will do what for my car at this point?

I am thinking APS, yet all i have found are ones that cost a pretty penny thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
at this point a new TMIC woudl just make you more resistant to heat soak which'll keep the rev's snappier

it will make the car ok to drive again in 100 degree temps as well.....

i dont think you'd see much of an actual power gain though....maybe a little

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds Good

1 - 16 of 16 Posts