ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you Longmont-onians, and everyone else who loves their car:

My ride was broken into on Tuesday night/wednesday morning (8-24/8-25) Here is the scary part. The alarm never went off, they did not break a window to gain entry, no damage to the door jams, hatch, or anything else. When i entered my car, my glove box was down and cd's, napkins were everywhere. I thought that was strange, then i looked around......radar detector still there, all cd's present.....stereo still in dash.....what the f***. I look in the glove box again, and i realize my owners manual is missing. "What the f***!!!!!!!!" So, now i get nervouse. I pop my hood to see if there is anything missing. CAN"T FIND ANYTHING!!! Look all around the car, check my lug nuts to make sure there is no sabotage...nothing. Check my exhaust, gas tank for unusual fumes (thinking sugar or somthing might have been poured into the tank)...nothing. So i make a police report, do everything you're supposed to do. Then i go to Flat Irons Subaru. They check out my whip, everything looks gravy. I ask how it would be possible to get into the car without the factory alarm going off. He proceeds with this: If the thief worked at subaru, or knew someone at subaru who he was in with, it's possible, that the thief got ahold of your VIN number, accessed subaru's national database, had the correct passwords, and inputed my VIN number into their database. Up pops all my vehicle information, including security codes for my alarm and key pattern information. So, this a-hole gets all my security codes off this website, and programs a remote to disable my alarm. Get's into my ride with no problems, and takes his liberties with MY CAR!!!!

So here's my question. Why take the time to do all this professional research on VIN numbers and databases, break into some ride, and take nothing more than a owners manual? Couldn't he get one at a dealership, or online somewhere?

The proof that this wasn't kids is there was no damage to the car, they didn't take unwanted items (cd's, radar det., ect.), and they knew exactly what they wanted.

The longmont cop said that subaru's are increasingly become the number one stolen, and vadalized car along the front range. He also said that on monday (8-23) a 2004 Foester was broken into as well, same thing. The owners of that car swear that they locked it, and are clueless as to how the thief got into their car. Looks like this is becoming a trend.

Well, my 2 year old Rotty slept in the car last night. I'd like to see that a-holes face if he gets in my car at 2:00 am and my girl is there waiting for him. Just like in Stand By Me......SICK BALLS!!!

Just thought i would give ya'll a heads up.

Peace,
nick.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Wow....that is weird.:confused1

I would agree that if someone was going to break into your car they would have taken more than an owners manual. You can get it online for free from Subaru.:confused:

Just curious, i installed the subaru factory alarm on my own so would that make it impossible for them to disable the alarm since they don't know the key for it or is the only factor the keyless entry stuff which was installed when I got the car?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
definately notify all the subaru service depts. sounds like they need to keep an eye on some of their employees.

not only is the entry illegal, so is the use of your information...

·
Registered
739 Posts
In any case, it would probably be a good idea to use a business card or something to cover up your vin number on the dash whenever you're parked.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a good idea to cover your VIN nukber with some sort of card, paper, whatever. i thought about putting a piece of black electrical tape over mine. The car was parked less than two feet from the house in my driveway. My wife is the only other person who has keys to my car, and she was sound asleep next to me all night. Granted, i did get tipsy on tuesday night, but i never, never leave my car unlocked, and i'm pretty sure i wasn't flipping through the manual during poker. I seriously doubt anyone is playing with me.

I don't know about installing your alarm yourself. The guy at Flat Irons didn't say anything about that. I assume that subaru has all the numbers from the factory, so if you put it in yourself, odds are they don't have your numbers. I dunno.

Wierd wacky stuff happenin in shlongmont

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
That's backwards....:confused1

There are no codes attached to the alarm system in the car. The remotes have the codes. You program the car system to accept the code from the remote. You can order new remotes and program the car to accept them yourself. There is NO way anyone could track down what remote-code is attached to what car through any database. The system works just like a garage door opener. You can't look up an address on the Genie website and find the code to open someone's garage.

You can, however, cut a key if you have access to a VIN. The problem with that situation is that if the alarm is armed and the car is unlocked with the key, the alarm will still sound until you get the key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" three times. This will NOT be evident the next time you unlock the car with the remote (as it would be if the alarm went off in a normal manner).

The only thing I can think of is that someone might have a code scanner of some sort that fires codes at the car until it opens. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do.

So...I guess I'm still mystified. I'm going to start covering my VIN.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I never thought about it but I think I will start covering my VIN too.

Is it illegal though? Would there be any reason a cop would need your VIN when you weren't around? Parking tickets, etc?

·
Registered
332 Posts
idea

Have you ever turned the alarm on while in the car and then tried unlocking the doors from the inside? Its incredibly easy to unlock the doors using the door button on the inside (from the outside). I've done it in about 15 seconds...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: idea

ma1ade said:
Have you ever turned the alarm on while in the car and then tried unlocking the doors from the inside? Its incredibly easy to unlock the doors using the door button on the inside (from the outside). I've done it in about 15 seconds...
Elaboration please?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am curious about what you are talking about ma1ade?

I have heard of people breaking into cars and stealing peoples registrations and garage door openers and breaking into the person house, but why someone would steal the owners manual is beyond me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
err

If anyone really wants me to go into details on how to break into a WRX for the world to see let me know... Doesn't seem prudent.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Don't do it!
This one doesn't have to be secret, but if you unhook the hood release cable and hide it someplace else, it might keep a hoodlum from disconnecting your battery to shut off the alarm.... chances are they'd split if they can't get to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts