Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard many places that it's illegal for a dealership to all out void a warranty because of mods. Well my second gear has gone out, quit workign entirely. The stick just wont' go into the slot. Well after wiating 2 weeks for the subaru rep to get to the dealership to look at my car, he has said that "MY warranty has been voided because of my unichip". My transmission has nothign to do wth the unichip. Well this is obviously not rght. What should I do now?

·
Registered
538 Posts
polkaband said:
he has said that "MY warranty has been voided because of my unichip". My transmission has nothign to do wth the unichip. Well this is obviously not rght. What should I do now?
I think you know the true answer here. The unichip IS related to the tranny in that you increased HP/Tq to exceed what the factory engineered/built, which has a definite effect on the tranny, especially second gear. Not to mention your numerous threads about street/drag racing. The innocence is lost.

Let's not be so niave.

As for what you should do now:

1) learn how to rebuild your tranny.

b) pay the price to have the dealer do it.

Oh, this is you from the TRANNY WOES thread:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3505&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

"...Think they'll give me warranty problems with my new turbo, exhaust and fuel stuff? The exhaust is just about the only obvious modification. They probobly won't even notice that the Turbo isn't stock."

I am constantly amazed that people are shocked that SOA "unfairly" call BS on a warranty claim. What did you expect?
You can't have your cake and eat it, too. It's time to grow up and be a responsible adult.

And before you launch into "It's been a problem for a long time, blah, blah, blah". Yes, it has. You've documented it well throughout this board. Along with your racing stories. I'm afraid this one's on you.

Curtis

·
Registered
480 Posts
yeah dude, you shouldn't have tried to play the player. Rebuilding a tranny shouldn't be that hard. Just buy a bently book and read over and over and over again.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
This is the exact example I always use when people say "they can't void your warranty 'cause of Magnusson-Moss". Yep, but if you put on a big turbo and break anything in the powertrain, it's pretty obvious even to a layman (ESPECIALLY to a layman!) that it is probably the result of the big turbo causing the engine to put out way more power than stock.

Actually with all the crap you've got on there, it's gonna be easy for them to trace ANYTHING back to the engine putting out WAY more power than Subaru intended it to, putting more stress on the drivetrain and the chassis and by extension anything attached to the chassis and by extension......you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I've been warning folks about this very issue for months. SOA needs little reason to void the warranty of a modified car.

And so it goes.......

I'm really sorry about your troubles, polkaband.

misterx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I wasnt' quite in a rage just yet. I was asking because I had read it on this board and I had questions about it. Well I dont' even know what's worng with the car yet. They've had the transmission taken apart for three days and they're still trying to figure out what it is. I'll keep posted about what was wrong with it and such. If it is the 2nd gear itself then what woudl yall recomend for a replacement?

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
damn someone else beat me to the devil's advocate role, saying how engine mods affect the drivetrain

·
Registered
221 Posts
polkaband said:
Well I wasnt' quite in a rage just yet. I was asking because I had read it on this board and I had questions about it. Well I dont' even know what's worng with the car yet. They've had the transmission taken apart for three days and they're still trying to figure out what it is. I'll keep posted about what was wrong with it and such. If it is the 2nd gear itself then what woudl yall recomend for a replacement?
if it is strictly a gear replacement issue i would look into a harder gear set with better ratio's... something like
gear set
the sti RA gear set is somthing i would like to get. better ratio's cryo-hardend gears. 1/6th the price of an sti six-speed tranny and almost as good

good luck

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow, those gears look really nice. The price is not bad at all. I wonder what a good shop would charge for an install? I dont think I would try that one myself.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Just out of curiousity, I looked up the stock gear ratios to compare.

3.454/1.947/1.366/0.972/0.738:1 -------- stock vs.
3.083/2.062/1.545/1.151/0.825:1 -------- RA

Not only are the ratios much shorter (designed for the 3.90:1 final drive maybe?) but I noticed that we actually have 2 overdrive gears! That's just not right......

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
someone please explain to me why subaru's do not have a dirrect drive gear? in other cars the dirrect drive gear is the most efficient because it has less spinning weight/gears, right? what's the deal??

PS: what would the theoretical top speed be with the STi RA gear set in? I don't know the calculations..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it turns out tobe the Shift fork and some other washer or somethign that's broke. I'll have an estimate for the whole job tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds like it could be a lot worse... Maybe this could be construed as good news?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the estimate is a little over $1500.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would a broken fork be from too much power?
Or a couple of missed shifts??
I could see if you took out the teeth. If an increase in power could not have done that damage, I wonder if you could fight them to cover it. Anybody??

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I agree with Lance. I've got warranty problems with SOA. My strategy is to approach each warranty issue as it occurs on its merits. I would investigate this problem thoroughly, and if a broken shift fork does not result from abuse or modest power increase, I'd push the issue. SOA is not behaving fairly or rationally with its customers.

X

1 - 18 of 18 Posts