ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well tonight i was crusin the lame ass honda forum as usual :rolleyes: (so much rice...) anyways, i was using the search button as usual trying to decide which direction i want to go with in my car. i was thinking either swaping a JDM h22 (for those of you who dont know...200hp 161 tq honda engine for preludes) it may not seem like much hp or torque for you guys but its a lot for a honda engine...anyways im thinkin thats gona cost 2k give or take a few hundred bucks so now at this point ill have 2 grand into my car and ill still only run 15's flat on a good driving day. :rolleyes:

scratch that idea...maybe i can turbo my existing motor (an h23) which is 160 hp, not quiet as much as the h22 but it is 2.3L as opposed to 2.2 vtec of the h22. now i coudl spend anywhere from 2grand to 6 or 7 grand to make some decent power with my little honda...BUT ill still be FWD and lacking traction.

so what do you guys think? i would love to get a suby with that awd turbo :wiggles: but i simply cant afford one right now, unless i can get a quality wrx for like 10 G's or less, and thats stretching it...

what would you guys do in my situation? some people have suggested selling my lude, buy a VW bug, deal with the slowness and save money on gas and insurance that ide normally be spending on my lude and buy something cooler later on in life. haha

while other have suggested put a down payment on a new car with the money i have saved plus the money i get from selling my lude, but buying something i dont have the money for scares me...making car payments ontop of insurance and gas...all while going into my first year of college. reciepe for disaster.

others have suggested just get a dsm and be done with it. ive got mixed feelings about these cars...they are fast with little money but are they reliable? do they handle decently? and then buying a dsm i get grouped into the 2Fast 2Furious crowd. :eek3:

so what would you guys do? should i go shopping for a bug tommarow and say goodbye to the scene for a few years til i can afford something worth posting about?haha

·
Registered
422 Posts
Arizona Steve said:

others have suggested just get a dsm and be done with it. ive got mixed feelings about these cars...they are fast with little money but are they reliable? do they handle decently? and then buying a dsm i get grouped into the 2Fast 2Furious crowd. :eek3:

so what would you guys do? should i go shopping for a bug tommarow and say goodbye to the scene for a few years til i can afford something worth posting about?haha
I don't see how a DSM is any more 2f2f than a honda. :confused:
Please don't buy a bug.

That is all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha i duno, the only DSM's around here are ones with super loud BOV's that do nothing but loose power, launch their **** at every light, blow through tranny's every other month, and have decals out the ass.

lol i was mostly joking about the bug, but hey they arnt bad cars! my friend used to have one, slammed to the ground with a turbo in the back. RWD+rear engine+super light+turbo built motor=super fast 1/4 times and massive wheelies
:p

but that costs a lot of money aswell and its not a very practical daily driver for arizona (no a/c)

i just got done looking at some v8's but they are all still out of my price range (LS1 camaro's and trans am's along with cobra's..all badass but too expensive.)

am i doomed to be slow?!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd rather drive a DSM than a Honda, although they both have merits.

Could you afford a DSM weekend racer and a Honda daily driver? Seems like it would be really hard to keep a buget racer daily driver.

1.Reliability
2.Speed
3.(Low) Price

Pick two.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well the h22 would definitly take out more than enough cars around here as ive beat many cars with just my stocker h23 (sad isnt it?) but ide want to compete against a higher class of cars such as you guys (rex's)

if i were to a h22 swap ide have no money leftover for a turbo kit for quiet some time, but i hear h22's and nitrous go well together if they are done right/smart. so who knows...the FWD aspect still makes me sad though...........:(

edit: i possibly could afford to keep my lude and buy a first gen talon or something like that as a weekend racer...but ide be better of buying a first gen talon, selling my lude, and buying something like a bug that got awsome gas milage and dirt cheap insurance...haha but thats only if im desperate for speed. dont get me wrong, ive got respect for DSM's but ive seen so many horror stories i dont want to buy into a money pit.

decisions decisions

·
Registered
422 Posts
Arizona Steve said:
so who knows...the FWD aspect still makes me sad though...........:(
DSM..DSM..:tongue:

edit: for daily driver, get a japanese car for chirst sakes. They are far superior to anything german for daily driving.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BAHHH! lol

why god why cant i have enough cash to buy a rex!!!

anyways, DSM is a possibility but its still my last resort, im not going to rule out anything at this point but ahh i still dont know i wish there was a magical car that would pop up in front of me that was awd, turbo, classy and reliable, all for 5 grand. lol

anyone have any experience with v8's? i hear 5.0's are pretty damned fast with the right mods but they dont look the best on the outside and i wonder if they are any more reliable than a DSM.

thats the one thing good about my honda...she runs forever

edit:i kind of wnat to steer clear of the whole 2 car, daily driver/racer thing.....ide prefer to have one well balanced car. i dont expect to run 11's with such a low budget but something pretty quick would be nice

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
if you want quick and cheap, get a dsm. they are very cheap to mod and are good out of the box. if you like what you are driving, then just keep it and do the swap, you won't feel bad about it. the h22 is a solid platform, and you can always put on a turbo later. if you want a comparison, mabye try to find someone who has a h22 that lives near you or at a car meet and have them take you for a spin, I think you'll be happy.

fast and cheap don't come in the same sentence. quick is easier to pull off.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Victor at RB Motoring has a 541fwhp Prelude. You should go buy it.

Honda engines are expensive. Why not pick up a 1.8T Volkswagen? They're reliable and can make 300hp with a new turbo and a couple bolt-ons. 'sides, you could probably pick up a B4 A4 1.8T Quattro for not-much.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea they are definitly quick if you put enoguh money into them , and the handling is stellar. but for the same amount of money ide rather have a equally fast and more reliable car for the same amount of cash.

having a h22 would definitly be quicker by close to a .6 seconds (i believe my car is suppostue run 15.6 with the h23 and the h22 runs 15's flat or close...some have dipped into 14.9 but thats extremely rare.)

the other thing is upgradeablilty. they have typical honda mods such as i/h/e but what do i get out of that whole setup and a grand later? 15 horsepower? :rolleyes:

im in love with audi a4's and my best friend has a 98 non quattro 1.8T with exhaust, chip, intake and diverter valve and its fairly quick but honestly its not all that quick for the mods (even though he got all those mods for dirt cheap, we have a good friend at www.evoms.com )

its also automatic though, you guys think a manual, awd a4 would be much diff with those mods? cause i absolutely love his interior and quality of car...newer a4's are even better.

how much would a mild milaged, manual, quattro 1.8T be around?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
where did u get the idea of running 15's flat? my friend ran a 14.8 in a lude with an H22. he only had catback and shortshifter. you can swap it and get an H22 for about 1,000$. then a turbo for that wouldnt cost more than 1,000. and if u dont believe me, my friend that ran that 14.8 turbo'd his lude for LESS THAN 1,000. if u want any more info or something just PM me or post in here.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea feel free to post it in here thats pretty cool, how can i possibly swap a h22 in my car for only a grand? for the complete change over, (tranny ecu and everything) it costs around 2k from www.hmotorsonline.com

some people with h23's get the h22 head and other parts and make a h22/h23 hybrid called the h23vtec but a lot of people say it doesnt make well enough power to risk the unreliablilty of a hybrid motor. how did he turbo his h22 for less than a grand aswell? was it intercooled? how much boost was he pushing? did he do anything with fuel management?

im interested. everyone in the prelude forum says if you go cheap with a turbo its a potential disaster story so i duno about this one

btw tell your friend to stop on over to www.absoluteprelude.com if he wants, thats the most friendly and least ricey prelude forum

·
Registered
598 Posts
which honda forums do you visit? i sold my JDM H22 swapped accord two months ago for a '04 WRX. i wish i never dropped the coin i did on that car, although i liked it alot, it's a big waste of money.

don't do an H23 VTEC they are harder to build than LS/VTECs and CRVTECs.

don't buy a VW either:barf:

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
Arizona Steve said:
BAHHH! lol

why god why cant i have enough cash to buy a rex!!!

anyways, DSM is a possibility but its still my last resort, im not going to rule out anything at this point but ahh i still dont know i wish there was a magical car that would pop up in front of me that was awd, turbo, classy and reliable, all for 5 grand. lol

anyone have any experience with v8's? i hear 5.0's are pretty damned fast with the right mods but they dont look the best on the outside and i wonder if they are any more reliable than a DSM.

thats the one thing good about my honda...she runs forever

edit:i kind of wnat to steer clear of the whole 2 car, daily driver/racer thing.....ide prefer to have one well balanced car. i dont expect to run 11's with such a low budget but something pretty quick would be nice
first off, 5.0's CAN be built to be fast...BUT they were limited to 220hp from the factory because of emission standards.

i've read every post on this thread. Goddamn your ass, Steve...be f'in HAPPY with your Gen 4!!! Preludes are SUCH A NICE CAR.
you said you were going into college. BE GRATEFUL that you have a f'in car!!! that's what you are going to college for!!!
I dreamed...I was like 'i want that car' that is so f'in sexy.Well, after working my ass off in college and driving my 87 buick century for a bit, I bought not only ONE, but TWO Ludes (89si and 98 base) I have also had a Stratus and now have a WRX
my point is: relax, dude. Don't depleat ALL that you have for a f'in car. You could lose it ALL just because some old person ran the stop sign. :eek:
(I wrecked my 98 base on the highway avoiding a deer while redlining at 90mph)
dropping an h22a in your gen 4 is going to cost ALOT more than 2grand. it'll cost you almost 2 grand for a low milage motor

snowvert....h22's can see f/i...but minimal boost. the front end won't hold superchargers for long and if you want bigger boostage, you'll have to change the internals.

steve...don't mess with it now, bud. focus on a good education so that you can walk up to the dodge dealer and say 'i want my viper in blue'

-STomp

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
Arizona Steve said:

having a h22 would definitly be quicker by close to a .6 seconds (i believe my car is suppostue run 15.6 with the h23 and the h22 runs 15's flat or close...some have dipped into 14.9 but thats extremely rare.)

the other thing is upgradeablilty. they have typical honda mods such as i/h/e but what do i get out of that whole setup and a grand later? 15 horsepower? :rolleyes:
first off, gen 5 ludes stick can run in around 15.2
i had mine sprint in 14.82 best) completely stock (minus spare)

the ONLY way to get power out of the lude is to do some kind of Forced Induction.

you've probably heard/seen people get this/that out of the h22...but they know what they are doing.
face it....the Lude is NOT the way to go if you want cheap hp. it's not a drag car, people.
it's a BALLS OUT HANDLER!!! lehman terms .....IT IS A FUN CAR!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts