Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from an FATT (friday at the track) at Summit. All I can say is BUY AN STI..or road race your own...IT IS TOTALLY JUSTIFIED. Here's why:

I ran 4 heats total. In each heat, we averaged anywhere from 7 to 10 laps, depending on if someone went off and black flags came out.

In every heat, I lapped the entire field with the exception of 2 other cars. Can you guess what they were? Thats right...2 other STis. In the last heat, I managed to get by one of them, but the other eluded me due to traffic (at least thats my story and I'm sticking to it).

So who was the the competition? Several late model BMW M3s, one late model Porshe 911, one M5, one BMW X model, one BMW ci, a modified honda, a C5 corvette, a few mitsu talons and eclipses, a few B and C class race prepped miatas and rx7s, one last gen turbo rx7, and a few others that are only blurs in my memory.

This car is incredible. The instructors were challenging each other for ride alongs. I ended up with a 7 time MARS and 5 time SCCA champ, Bill Davis, who said "I haven't had this much fun in a car in at least 10 years".

Evo Schmeevo. I had all my laps timed. Unfortunately, the 2 Evo's that were there were in a different lap group, so I couldn't go heads up with them. However, I timed them a few times and the closest they got to my lap average times were within 3 seconds. Let me tell you...that is a massive advantage!

Folks..all I can say is if you haven't participated in an FATT or sanctioned event on a real road course, you are not doing your STi justice. Nothing compares to busting 130 MPH, jamming on the breaks into an increasing radius turn, drifting slightly with all 4 wheels clawing for traction, then shooting out the exit....all while terrifying the car in front as they just know they can't escape you.

Blasting by every one on the straightaways was probably as equally thrilling. I had numerous instructors and drivers express disbeilief over how easy the STi got around them.

This was the 1st time I worked the car hard enough to get the tires to talk to me, and boy do they reward the effort. This car is so maneagable at high speeds, its verging on dangerous, as it promotes a very high (probably too high) confidence level. Any miscalcualation was easily corrected with a bit more throttle or gently tap of the brakes to settle the chassis.

I love this car!!!!!!

By the way...for the record, my kill streak was increased by 24 cars on Saturday!! Youza!!

Things I learned that are a must for my next session: High temp brake fluid, braided brake lines, (brakes were mushy for an hour or so aftwards) a better visual cue for shift points (the rev limiter saved me/cursed me a least a dozen times...trying to hang onto 4th just to get to the next entry point)...and some form of gear indication device...I popped a 5th to 2nd twice...the torque is so deceptive its hard to remember what gear you are in. Tires were set at 42 front, 40 rear, but probably would have been better at 46 front, 45 rear.

If you've participated in an event like this (or are going to), I'd love to hear your feedback.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
82 Posts
please post when you end up selecting the lines. if the mushiness was prevelant i would like to swap in SS lines before the Spring as well.

how was brake performance other than the mushiness? any fade with stock components?

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Todd...it was a blast. I'll PM you the next time I schedule.

TRM, as for the brakes, no fade what so ever. After repeated 120 to 130 mph to 30 MPH "through out the anchor" hits to the brakes, I did not notice one iota of change.

It was after I was finished on the last heat that they went mushy. Once they cooled off, they were fine. The mushiness was only on initial push. Pumped 'em once and they felt like normal.

I did a pad, high temp oil, and ss line conversion to my old WRX, and the difference was like night and day. I expect huge rewards for the same changes to the STi...and all without hurting my warranty! yippeee!

I'll post once I get to that point. Late in the year, so I might wait until spring.

Scott

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
So, your car was FASTER than the Evos around the track?

The Evo VIII FQ (301HP) is the second fastest car ever tested by Top Gear on their test track.

Pagani Zonda: 1:23.8
Evo VIII: 1:28.9
Murcielago: 1:29.0
BMW Z8: 1:29.0
WRX STi: 1:30.1

Well done.

-Jim

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim,
With all due respect to the Evos, the drivers were quite a bit younger than me. I've had some track time before, so there was a likely advantage. One odd thing I noticed was one of the Evos was blowing some serious smoke on acceleration and puffs of blue between shifts. It was noticiable enough that at one point, I thought he blew his engine.

I believe I've found a better forum for the STi other than the 1/4 mile. Always knew it before, but this just verified it. Maybe we can get a large group of us together for one of these events. Now that would be a blast!

Scott

·
Registered
82 Posts
i'm game. i was planning on hitting Summit for my first time this November with Car Guys. but my work/travel schedule isn't going to allow it.

i was also considering doing the quattro club event at VIR this December...but there's always a good chance the weather will suck and make the weekend a loss.

looks like i'm going to have to wait until PDA starts up again at Pocono next Spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
So, your car was FASTER than the Evos around the track?

The Evo VIII FQ (301HP) is the second fastest car ever tested by Top Gear on their test track.

Pagani Zonda: 1:23.8
Evo VIII: 1:28.9
Murcielago: 1:29.0
BMW Z8: 1:29.0
WRX STi: 1:30.1

Well done.

-Jim
you left out the Koenigsegg....its second.....

and the evo FQ300 is NOTHING like the evo8 here....so theres no comparison

·
Registered
38 Posts
scott, i dont know if you remember me, but i talked to you a few times at cecil, i have a blue/sil sti. PLEASE let me know if you are going to summit again. i roadrace bikes and have a lot of time at that track and i really want to get the sti down there, its got to be a blast, what kind of times were you running and what course was it on, main, jefferson? i race a suz 600 and turn low 1:20's and dip into the 19's when the weathers right, great to hear you had a good time.

andy

·
Registered
648 Posts
YBNormal07 said:
Todd...it was a blast. I'll PM you the next time I schedule.

TRM, as for the brakes, no fade what so ever. After repeated 120 to 130 mph to 30 MPH "through out the anchor" hits to the brakes, I did not notice one iota of change.

It was after I was finished on the last heat that they went mushy. Once they cooled off, they were fine. The mushiness was only on initial push. Pumped 'em once and they felt like normal.

I did a pad, high temp oil, and ss line conversion to my old WRX, and the difference was like night and day. I expect huge rewards for the same changes to the STi...and all without hurting my warranty! yippeee!

I'll post once I get to that point. Late in the year, so I might wait until spring.

Scott
Definitely let us know about the brakes and any changes. I have yet to get on a road course but I got a huge, open area to toss it around for a while and the brakes went mushy too fast. :(

RN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts