ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 words

BAD AZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the car stops so much faster now and the pedal has a very nice feel to it. Less brake dust than before way less, and the car from 60-0 slows down much nicer.

the rotora rotors i got were slotted because crossdrilled doesn't stop as well and im just very happy with this set up.

Goodrich Lines are top notch and also coated.

Motul 600 fluid i used 3 full bottles i just wanted to be sure i got the system flushed.

Tires are the new bfg g force kdw-2 and these tires hook better than the stock tires and lots more quieter.

Thanks to garret at worldone for a killer deal and supplying me another quality product. Ill have pics on later this week

tony

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
my bobcats stop a lot better, even i cahnged them out before i got hte new set to try them on the stock pads and much better overall. i do streetracing on weekends and everyday i get on it and the brakes did fine

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
He said track, as in they will overheat and fade horribly after a few hard laps. BTW the whole brake system holds about a half bottle of brake fluid so you can consider yours flushed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WELL i guess its really flushed. well if your not gonna track then id say get this combo great up grade. i think carbontech has a diff pad for the track anyway

·
Registered
17 Posts
brake upgrades.

I'm always skeptical about brake upgrades. Usually they are designed to stop the car quicker with less pedal pressure, but unless the upgrade is precisely balanced, you will end up with less ultimate braking bower - meaning the car will take longer to stop from a given speed.

Most people who rave about brake upgrades are using the butt-ometer, which lies, esp. when it comes to brakes.

·
6,298 Posts
Re: brake upgrades.

kalel said:
I'm always skeptical about brake upgrades. Usually they are designed to stop the car quicker with less pedal pressure, but unless the upgrade is precisely balanced, you will end up with less ultimate braking bower - meaning the car will take longer to stop from a given speed.

Most people who rave about brake upgrades are using the butt-ometer, which lies, esp. when it comes to brakes.
Maybe you should define "precisely balanced". Unless you are referring to a proportioning valve, or possibley have had a bad experience with aftermarket rotors/calipers, it has been my experience at the track that just a simple upgrade to a street/track pad will provide shorter braking distances over stock pads. For instance, with an install of Cobb SS lines, Ferodo 2500 pads (on the front only) and Superblue fluid, I've been able to move my initial break point at the front straight at Summit by over 15 feet. In addition where previously my brakes would get mushy and start to fade towards the end of a track day, they now exhibit a linear and faster response throughout the day, and there is no fade whatsoever. A little bit of research and a simple brake upgrade will provide noticeable results, IMHO. In fact, that is the first upgrade I do to all of my cars, as I prefer to ensure better stopping before I ensure better acceleration. The inverse just doesn't make sense to me.

Hell, I even upgraded my wife's van's brakepads and couldn't believe the difference it made. A brake pad/line/fluid upgrade is probably one of the best modifications you can make to a car, as when it comes to safety, and tracking a car, it definitely pays dividends.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think kalel is talking about standard practices for cars that are not equipped with race ready braking systems, unlike the STi. Although I agree that some brake upgrades on Hondas and such, if not carefully done to maintain the stock brake bias to correlate with the stock proportioning, braking distances can be increased.

Two things make the STi an exception to that rule-of-thumb, electronic brake proportioning, and a stock system designed more for looks than for performance. It is still true that replacing/upgrading all 4 wheels is better for performance and for the car than only doing the fronts, but since the proportioning isn't a fixed value, the car can compensate for slightly different bias. The stock brake pads are horrible on the track, so any upgrade to reduce fade is going to improve braking performance. And since there is no need, or even a possibility, of increasing the rotor sizes, bias won't stray very far from stock.

My next two upgrades for brakes are Ferodos and cooling ducts. Brake cooling is non-existant on the STi, and pads are expensive. I'll get a better return for my money on cooling ducts than SS lines, which are overrated and overpriced IMHO (no offense YB). I don't care about pedal travel, that is until the pedal travels to the floor. The stock pads' sudden catastrophic fade has almost sent me into the wall multiple times. Upgrading the fluid alone (Perf Friction) only postponed it for a little longer. The stock STi pads are not track worthy, and upgrading them not only reduces stopping distance, but can easily save you major repairs.

·
6,298 Posts
No offense taken about the SS lines, as it is probably a matter of preference. I consider the SS lines to be of good value due to the difference in feel that it provides over the stock lines. Slightly less pedal travel and a much more linear feel. I chose the Cobb lines as they were a good value for a documented hydrostatically tested line, something I couldn't find from other vendors.

I kind of thought that the posting about brake upgrades not being all it's cracked up to be to be aimed at less equiped cars, and specifically those without a good proportioning system, which is why I mentioned the proportioning in my last post. Also why I mentioned that "a little research" beforehand would provide benefits as to the best path for upgrading a brake system. Granted, some cars take to this upgrade easier than others, but I still stand by my own experience that upgrading all of my vehicles has produced satisfactory results. Not trying to offend, just enlighten based on my own experiences, so hopefull it didn't come across that way.

I'm curious to see what you come with with regarding duct cooling as I've looked into it myself, and can't see how to do it without cutting a large chunk out of the well liner. I assume you track your car, otherwise you wouldn't be looking at the same items I am, so I would be most interested in what you come up with.

·
Registered
472 Posts
had a hell of a time with the Bobcats and just switched back to Brembo pads. After the first couple hundred miles they SQUEELED worse than any pad I ever usedin any car(Hawk HP+, EBC red, PF) and these are supposed to be street compound???

I heard about this problem with the Bobcats from the EVO guys where its pretty well known but I had already bought them and was hoping for the best, no good.

Even after surfacing the rotors twice and trying every combination of shim stacking it was just unbearable, squealed just rolling down the street and when you hit the brakes SQUEELED EVEN MORE!! Very frustrating and embarassing to pull through a store parking lot and have everyone turn to see what ghetto car has the bad brakes :mad:

Switched back to Stock Brembo pads and its back to normal, Actually I bought them from the Mitsu dealership for the Evo since the are the same and made by brembo but only cost $84 there, my suby dealer wanted $290!

In the end I really dont think there is a good enough reason to use any higher friction pads on the street with these Brembos. I will stand on my head if you can fade the stock brembos on the street, and all you get in return is more dust, noise, and rotor wear. And the pads are so easy to swap out you can easily throw in race pads in 45 minutes before a race day, just my .02;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts