Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Im this DIY blogger geek and did a post on dipping my rims.

I wanted rose gold rims. :D I thought Id share my experience with the dipping. I had to make my own color.

I personally love the stuff but I know some hate it. haha.

(I hope I can share my link here)

Rose Gold Plasti Dip

A couple of pictures from my post.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The paint job looks good. Color looks...different. Kinda reminds me of the red clay mud we have here in the Appalachians. I just wouldn't leave the plastidip on for more than (1) month. Otherwise, that quick, easy peel might be anything other than.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Im not worried as a solvent will clean it off if needed. :)

While the jar in my post was not exposed to the elements, its sat for about three months before it was peeled. It took me a few months to gather up this post. Blogging is a process. haha.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Glass and paint are two very different animals.

Still, I wish you the best. The concept intrigued me until I saw it pull off clear coat on some cars and the hoods and body panels on others. To me, I wonder if the "alcohol prep" isn't the most damaging aspect. Can't be conducive to sustaining Subaru's already "weak" paint, and especially clear coat; Or, any painted surface, for that matter.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Glass and paint are two very different animals.

Still, I wish you the best. The concept intrigued me until I saw it pull off clear coat on some cars and the hoods and body panels on others. To me, I wonder if the "alcohol prep" isn't the most damaging aspect. Can't be conducive to sustaining Subaru's already "weak" paint, and especially clear coat; Or, any painted surface, for that matter.
Alcohol prepping is a very common practice for car paint, especially new car paint. Left with no protection, however, it would certainly become damaging to a car's clear coat because it removes ALL wax and oils from a paint's surface, letting UV rays and other contaminants damage it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its all well, I knew posting this some 'nay sayers' would come and its ok, my skin is thick. :)

Just saying that dip sat for months and peeled just fine, I know it was glass. LOL. I know a thing or two about that... Its kind of my 'thing'. haha.

Alcohol is a common prep for painting many things not just cars... Its like a 'standard'. peek inside a DIY-Crafter world. :D

I'll update my post when its time to peel my tires. haha. I wouldn't necessarily trust it on my paint either but for rims, grills, badges, etc I love the stuff overall and it can be used on many things.

Works great on the glass, seems to chip and scratch less over spray paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts