ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it all started about 3 weeks ago when i installed, my nice shiny helix DP (3rd gen brand new) and Bosal cat-back. When i first installed the exhaust, my midpipe, and the DP, dont make a complete seal at the gasket, there is a tiny (aprox, 1mm) gap at the top of the seal.

So i called suby dude(Great Cust Service) where i got it from, explained the problem to them, they said they would send out a new DP and a new Midpipe, and we would see if that works. Well i installed the new midpipe and dp, and there is still a small gap at the top of the seal. I tried using diffrent exhaust hangers. The only way i got it to completly seal, is take the axle back part off, and just have the mid pipe on, But the problem with that is, the midpipe goes all the way to the top of the heatshield and i cant pull it down to match up with the rest of the axle back.

I called suby dude today, and Joesph is as completly stumped as i am. He said they just installed this set up on an 04' a few days ago.

So so far i have installed this exhaust over 3 diffrent times with all diffrent componets, and i still get the tiny gap at the top of the flange.

Any suggestions on this before i send it all/or some of it back and try something else? If i try something else, what is a good 3" combo? Thanks guys

sorry if this is confusing, if you need me to explaine somthing better let me know. Thanks guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
thicker gaskets would be my first fix-it idea.

get some silicone gasket stuff, it will do the trick. Make sure it is heat-rated to a reasonable temperature.

Put some on both sides of the original gasket and sandwich it and then just tighten bolts then rub around the flanges to make sure it seals and stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do this, but i am just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem, also i want this to fit right, not "fit after i put gunk all over it" Thanks for the suggestion though, if a shop cant fix it, i will have to go that route.
Chunks said:
thicker gaskets would be my first fix-it idea.

get some silicone gasket stuff, it will do the trick. Make sure it is heat-rated to a reasonable temperature.

Put some on both sides of the original gasket and sandwich it and then just tighten bolts then rub around the flanges to make sure it seals and stuff.

As far as pics go, what would you like a picture of? i will try to get some tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
gusto said:
i think if you just doubled up some gaskets youd be AOK. give that a try before you take it to a shop.
I'd rather use some silicone sealant because doubling up on gaskets is more prone to leak.



I did have a leak, and the silicone stuff worked, not sure if the fitment problem was 1mm but there was a gap between the midpipe and dp that was causing the leak
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,609 Posts
I never much cared for double gaskets, or sealant. Both will blow out in time. I'm not sure how high you have the car, but if you could take pictures of the actual fitment under the car, and the pipes layed out on the ground I may get some ideas. I've been hanging exhaust for many years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trainrex said:
I never much cared for double gaskets, or sealant. Both will blow out in time. I'm not sure how high you have the car, but if you could take pictures of the actual fitment under the car, and the pipes layed out on the ground I may get some ideas. I've been hanging exhaust for many years.
I really dont feel like uinstalling the whole exhaust again, and reinstalling it, I can try to get under the car to take some pics, but i dont know how good they will be i dont have a lift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
You're not the only one to have this problem aspitfire. I think the bosal catback is the culprit here. The more I hear from people the more I realize that their quality control is $#itty. I have the same problem as you do with my bosal catback (twin tip). Mine is mated up to an HKS downpipe and the gap on mine is about 1 or 2 mm at the top of the flange as well. If you look at the DP flange and the catback flange when they're against one another it looks like this | / instead of this ||...a little exaggerated but you get the idea. But then again, the bosal is one of the cheapest exhausts out there. You get what you pay for I guess. I tried everything. Double gaskets; they blew out. Double gaskets with hi temp gunk all over them; they worked ok but unless you make a smooth even coat they will leak. Single gaskets with gunk; same deal as the double gaskets with gunk. I've tried 5 ply metal gaskets and paper/metal gaskets. They all failed after a short time. I saw a thick CNC machined header collector gasket on the showroom floor at summit racing that would have done the trick but I didn't think I needed it at the time so I didn't buy it. It would have been nice if Subaru used a 3 bolt pattern flange on their exhaust components like the rest of the world. Gaskets and such would be alot easier to find when they blow out. Anyway, the best way I got my bosal catback to seal up was utilizing the factory donut gasket off of the stock DP. The edge of the flange on the catback kind of digs into the donut material and makes a decent seal...it still leaks but it leaks the least of all the different combos I've tried. I'm not familiar with the Helix DP setup so I don't know if the donut idea would work for you. Good luck though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
i had a problem putting my invida d/p and mating it up to the blitz nur spec catback so what me and fahd did is i pulled it tgoether while he torqed it in hehehe, no leakss 24,000 miles thank you god :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
waveoff said:
You're not the only one to have this problem aspitfire. I think the bosal catback is the culprit here. The more I hear from people the more I realize that their quality control is $#itty. I have the same problem as you do with my bosal catback (twin tip). Mine is mated up to an HKS downpipe and the gap on mine is about 1 or 2 mm at the top of the flange as well. If you look at the DP flange and the catback flange when they're against one another it looks like this | / instead of this ||...a little exaggerated but you get the idea. But then again, the bosal is one of the cheapest exhausts out there. You get what you pay for I guess. I tried everything. Double gaskets; they blew out. Double gaskets with hi temp gunk all over them; they worked ok but unless you make a smooth even coat they will leak. Single gaskets with gunk; same deal as the double gaskets with gunk. I've tried 5 ply metal gaskets and paper/metal gaskets. They all failed after a short time. I saw a thick CNC machined header collector gasket on the showroom floor at summit racing that would have done the trick but I didn't think I needed it at the time so I didn't buy it. It would have been nice if Subaru used a 3 bolt pattern flange on their exhaust components like the rest of the world. Gaskets and such would be alot easier to find when they blow out. Anyway, the best way I got my bosal catback to seal up was utilizing the factory donut gasket off of the stock DP. The edge of the flange on the catback kind of digs into the donut material and makes a decent seal...it still leaks but it leaks the least of all the different combos I've tried. I'm not familiar with the Helix DP setup so I don't know if the donut idea would work for you. Good luck though.
Thank the lord i am not the only one with this problem. I will check with suby dude, and see if i can exhange it for somthing else.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,156 Posts
you're running and HKS downpipe and you think the bosal cat back is shoddy?

lol

i think you've got that backwards. so many of these new companies have bad quality. invidia had a bought with fitment issues, and HKS is the cheapest made pipe on the market. most of the newer competitors are making their pipes in china for as little as possible.

Bosal has been an OE manufacturer for 40 years. Hardly "shoddy" QC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
dark_rex said:
you're running and HKS downpipe and you think the bosal cat back is shoddy?

lol

i think you've got that backwards. so many of these new companies have bad quality. invidia had a bought with fitment issues, and HKS is the cheapest made pipe on the market. most of the newer competitors are making their pipes in china for as little as possible.

Bosal has been an OE manufacturer for 40 years. Hardly "shoddy" QC.
I was simply stating what I've experienced with the bosal stuff. The bosal junk I've installed on a few honda's and acura's all had fitment issues. The HKS may not be the best DP but at least the frickin' flange on it is straight. No leak issues when mated up to my stock catback. I've had TWO bosal catbacks on my car and both did not fit too well. The first one had a crooked flange and the rear section was resting up against the rear diff. This second one has a crooked flange but the rear section just barely clears the rear diff and only hits it when going over a big bump. I can understand your feelings towards the bosal stuff though since you've been hooking people up with good deals on it. Maybe their OE stuff is good but their aftermarket equipment could use some attention to detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I was a little worried with this as well. I am getting ready to purchase the bosal/helix tbe from subydude and have heard some problems with fitment prior to this post. Mainly problems with the 3" downpipe mating to the bosal midpipe. I asked subydude about it and he said it was fine. So I guess Ill just wait and see. Im going to see if he can put something together with helix dp/helix catback for around the same price as the bosal combo.

-Griffin
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,156 Posts
i've sold over a hundred bosal pieces through GBS, and they all mate up flawlessly.

this is the first i've heard of mating a helix to a bosal, and surprise, there are problems. that's all i'm saying.

i've also heard other claims about helix and invidia being less than stellar quality in discussions that had nothing to do with bosal.

for the money, you're better off getting all bosal. better design (twin dump) and better fitment.

dR
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,609 Posts
I agree with dR. I've used many Bosal aftermarket exhausts in my wrenching days ever since brospeed came out about 8 or so years ago, and never had a fitment problem. There is some other issue here, thats why I asked for pictures. Did you tighten all the flanges together BEFORE you hung it on the hangers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trainrex said:
I agree with dR. I've used many Bosal aftermarket exhausts in my wrenching days ever since brospeed came out about 8 or so years ago, and never had a fitment problem. There is some other issue here, thats why I asked for pictures. Did you tighten all the flanges together BEFORE you hung it on the hangers?
I havent had a chance to get under and takes some pictures, but i have tried both ways of tighting the bolts, without the hangers, and with the hangers.

aspitfire said:
I tried using diffrent exhaust hangers. The only way i got it to completly seal, is take the axle back part off, and just have the mid pipe on, But the problem with that is, the midpipe goes all the way to the top of the heatshield and i cant pull it down to match up with the rest of the axle back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
dark_rex said:
i've sold over a hundred bosal pieces through GBS, and they all mate up flawlessly...
...for the money, you're better off getting all bosal. better design (twin dump) and better fitment.

dR
I'm gonna try my HKS DP with my vf22 and see how it works out. If I have boost creep issues then I'm going to switch to a bellmouth or twin dump DP. Some people with flat flange DP's report no boost creep...others have boost creep. I like the looks of the bosal twin dump but do they have a third cat eliminator, dark_rex?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
do yourself a favor... drive to midas, mieneke, merlin.... whatever... get a thicker gasket... 5 bucks and your done.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top