ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant put it into first gear without me being completely stopped and even sometimes it wont get into gear. could it be my sync row or the actual gear?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
No...

You're not supposed to put it into 1st gear unless you're at a complete stop. Your car is fine.
What?... I can put it into 1st any time I want, 30MPH+... You just gots to do it right...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Using the syncroes and blipping the throttle should allow you to put it into 1st (easily) up to 10 MPH, unless you are way too slow and allow the RPMs to drop too much. After that you probably need to double clutch and blip the throttle too...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Being able to and supposed to are two different things. 1st gear is supposed to be for dead stop acceleration.
Well I guess we have a difference in opinion as to what "supposed" to means... As far as I'm concerned you are "supposed" to be able to shift it into any gear as long as the RPMs are lower than max... JMO :wiggles: And if you cant, then you are not doing it right, again, JMO ;)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
looks like you have an STI? the 6MT's are much better for getting into first - it's just about as easy as any other gear for a 6MT, and damn near impossible on a 5MT, because of synchro design.

OP: don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
looks like you have an STI? the 6MT's are much better for getting into first - it's just about as easy as any other gear for a 6MT, and damn near impossible on a 5MT, because of synchro design.

OP: don't worry about it.
Yes, I have the STi with the 6 speed... And it may well be that it's "easier" to shift than the 5 speed, can't say, as I have never driven the 5 speed... BUT, bottom line is EVERY manual transmission CAN be shifted into ANY gear as long as the RPMs are under the max for that gear IF done correctly... Even ones that don't have synchros. Again JMO :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It takes double-clutching with superhuman finesse to get the 5MT into first above about 10mph. Possible and feasibly possible are two different things!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Every time I go into first I put the lever to second then first. Lever slides in much better provided you give it a bit of a throttle blip. I do this even at a dead stop.
Try it. No need to do anything different with the clutch. Just down first then up to first.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It takes double-clutching with superhuman finesse to get the 5MT into first above about 10mph. Possible and feasibly possible are two different things!
If it's possible its possibly feasible, he, he... :p Anyways, I haven't met a tranny I couldn't get into 1st yet. I guess what I'm really saying is practice, practice practice... I'ts like heal and toeing, once you get it you don't even think about it, possible/feasable :wave:

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
This really is subjective to a degree. My '06 WRX is SO much easier to get into first gear than my bugeye was. The syncro system was redesigned in '06 for just this reason. I use first gear when going around 180 degree hairpins in SCCA all the time with no issue and no double clutching.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
My 06 had 0 problems getting into first.

My STi tranny has problems going into first from a dead stop, but not from 2nd gear. So from a stop I always go to second then into first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts