Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Tyler and its awesome to be apart of a community! Just recently picked up Subaru WRX 3 days ago, its a 2017 Limited CVT with the popular package added onto it. I know its against the code and all to go CVT for the beauty's but I had to. Reason primarily being I don't know how to drive stick, maybe one day I will learn. But here's a backstory first, took me a little of a year to buy this car, reason being is because of my indecisiveness haha, I've test driven a lot of cars on the market, Honda Civic, Nissans, Toyotas, Fords etc, you name the brand I have driven at least one car by them lol, pathetic isn't it? but then I found the WRX, when I laid my eyes on it, I fell it love, the comfortability everything about it. Only think I can't stand about it is the sound quality of the radio. I decided to upgrade the speakers to Hertz/Alpine and an Apline power pack yes, it gives it more loudness but not clarity, I have a tweeter but it doesn't help much. Theres not clarity in the songs at all and scratchy at higher volumes, don't know what the issue is. i put about $550 in stuff already and doesn't sound better. think i am going to can a sub next because its just completely flat. Well thanks for reading!

-Tyler

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the club. I was going to suggest the kicker upgrades but you already upgraded the speakers. Are you running components up front with everything wired into the headunit and alpine power pack? Your sound killer is the head unit. Once you take care of that everything will balance out. There are DIYs on this forum to help with HU removal and install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey cwo, I actually didn't install myself but actually at a shop where I live at, I am pretty sure its wired into the HU, but the thing is I don't really want to change anything in the car. I like the factory Head Unit, actually get a sub put in my trunk tomorrow and we will see how that works out, will keep you updated.

-Ty

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey cwo, I actually didn't install myself but actually at a shop where I live at, I am pretty sure its wired into the HU, but the thing is I don't really want to change anything in the car. I like the factory Head Unit, actually get a sub put in my trunk tomorrow and we will see how that works out, will keep you updated.

-Ty
Congrats on the new car. I am waiting to save up some money for a down payment before I can get mine. I think the first thing I want to do is upgrade the stereo because that's one of the big flaws I'm seeing people complain about. Adding in the sub will give you a deeper sound but are you planning to wire the speakers to the sub? From what I have read the HU is under powered and adding a new HU makes the system much better with stock speakers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great car and welcome. I have a very similar car.. mine is read and a 2016 "left over" I bought it new in November. I also went CVT.

My impressions on the CVT are that it is surprisingly ok. Just don't pounce on it in Sport Sharp mode.. .
RPMs almost hit redline when I did this trying to properly merge once.

Beyond that I love the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Grats on the new car, man. Nothing wrong with the CVT - I have it too in my 16 WRX Limited. Though for me the reason I got it was primarily due to wanting Eyesight / all the tech goodies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger that, I've been taking it very slow. The manual said "break in period" is 1,000 miles and I am at 376, so I have just been in intelligent mode.

-Kapp

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh gotcha, so you have the HK sound system in all, I just recently finished putting in all the aftermarket products and all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes I have the HK sound system.. its not that bad but I mostly listen to news channels...

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a non-audiophile, I think the HK setup is quite good. Public radio, audiobooks, EDM, classical, country - everything I've listened to sounded good. I know I could have gone aftermarket audio for cheaper for sure but having everything under one warranty + my laziness = win!

I've heard some Subaru dealers can be notorious for being nit-picky on warranty coverage, so YMMV on modding practically anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I just ordered a 2017 Limited with cvt on Wednesday! Now the long wait for delivery! I got the kicker speakers upgrade. I'm hoping that will be enough of an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I just ordered a 2017 Limited with cvt on Wednesday! Now the long wait for delivery! I got the kicker speakers upgrade. I'm hoping that will be enough of an improvement over stock.
The kicker speakers will be a big improvement over stock but the headunit is the killer. I have a 2015 so not sure if starlink was any different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it's the same headunit except for the screen being slightly larger. I just don't want to have to lose my steering wheel controls by going to an aftermarket HU

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dragon, you just ordered a '17? Did you need a new car right away? Or get some kind of deal on it? The '18s were just announced. If it were me, I'd wait towards fall and get an '18.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeag I just saw the 18s were announced. Plus I'm kinda in need of a car. Yeah I got a good deal. Got it for $650 below invoice for the base price of the car. Then added in other options I wanted. Sti exhaust, kicker speaker upgrade with sub and tweeters, footwell illumination, armrest extension, and door edge guards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts