ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im going to be doing my first oil change in my '11 wrx right away and im unsure what brand oil to use. Obviously a full synthetic, ive heard some good things about AMSOIL (which is where i think im leaning), Rotella (T5 i think?) or of course my dealership says I should use their synthetic oil. I live in Canada and its quite cold, down to -30 C in the winter. Also i dont think AMSOIL makes filters, so i would need to choose a good full synthetic filter as well if I were to go that route. Any help on this would be great. Thx. :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
I don't know what a synthetic filter actually is. Get the correct Subaru filter and call it a day. You can use any oil that meets Subaru's specifications; I'd check your manual for the viscosity recommended for your temperature range (keep in mind Subaru of America and Subaru Canada are two different companies and may have stated different specs, so US suggestions that are specific may not be useful to you), and find something that meets the spec and is available locally.

I find Amsoil marketing distasteful and do not use their products. Others don't mind, and do. Your choice. It must meet the spec stated by Subaru though. Keep all receipts.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Like SD said the oem filter is best.If you can get the black filter,made in Japan, that would be great.But usually only the blue ones made in Canada by Honeywell are available.

Look in your manual,look on the back of the container of whatever oil you want to get & see if the specs match up.

I use Rotella T6,although it does not fully conform to SOA oil standards.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Unless I have to go to the dealer for some other scheduled maintenance, I normally use Mobil1 full syn.

I do have another question on this topic..... When I last went to the dealer for scheduled maintenance they did an oil change with the Subaru syn oil, but they also added an additive to the oil that was not Subaru... made by BG I think. Why? If the engine is new, and the specific Subaru branded oil is up to snuff, why are they adding additives to the mix? Anyone know? Should this be common practice for all WRX oil changes?

·
29,232 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just finished my first oil change, 5000mi on the dot. Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W-30 and Subaru blue oil filter. dont forget the crush washer for the drian plug.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
+1 to everything SD_GR has said. I agree with his position on AMSOIL... I won't purchase any of their stuff. Their marketing scheme is completely distasteful in my opinion, and borders grey marketing.

My dealership carries Mobil 1, and Subaru's Synth. I get either one of those.

The whole debate between Oils is ridiculous in my opinion. There are government standards, and manufacturer recommendations. Follow those. Don't follow marketing, or what some random guy on the internet said.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would also agree to everyone's comments above. Use a synthetic oil that's easily available around your area. Make sure it carries SM/SN "Energy Conserving" API seal or GF-4/GF-5 certification and 5w-30 weight. I use the blue Subaru filter (made by Honeywell Canada).

I'm running M1 EP 5w-30 oil and my UOA's have been coming back with awesome results. Any known brand synthetics that meet the above should perform just as well.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Run the stock subaru filter. Only other filter I'd run would be a wix filter. I'm sure there are a couple more to that quality but can't remember the names. I personally run castrol edge in my car. I ran 10-30 on my old 2.0l but now that I have a new 2.5l I'm torn whether or not I wanna run 5-30 or stay with 10-30. I know a lot of people run Mobile 1 but I'd stay away from it. It doesn't really like subaru engines. Oil analysis has also shown that the wear characteristics aren't that great to start with but decrease by half with in 1k miles or so. That's leaving things not protected well.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I know a lot of people run Mobile 1 but I'd stay away from it. It doesn't really like subaru engines. Oil analysis has also shown that the wear characteristics aren't that great to start with but decrease by half with in 1k miles or so. That's leaving things not protected well.
Where can I find these EOAs (or UOAs) to compare? I would ask 'what oil should I use' but I know that would only lead to fan-boy style arguing. Where can I find hard facts on what oil protects better/lasts longer/etc?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
They were on nasioc. I went looking around after I spun a bearing on my 2.0l. Pretty sure I just searched oil analysis and came across a thread comparing different oils. None one had great things to say about mobile 1. I also know a lot of people who have spun bearings running that stuff. Not really sure if it's a product of the popularity of the oil or the oil analysis guys are right and subies don't like it. All I know is I haven't spun a bearing since and still beat the car just as hard.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Where can I find these EOAs (or UOAs) to compare? I would ask 'what oil should I use' but I know that would only lead to fan-boy style arguing. Where can I find hard facts on what oil protects better/lasts longer/etc?
I started getting my own UOA's done to avoid asking this question when I first got my car. I always hear and read that M1 does not work very well with our engines, but when asked people usually can't provide the hard facts. I've looked everywhere google, bobistheoilguy.com, etc...

My most recent UOA is here: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/general-maintenance-troubleshooting-accidents/134349932-uoa-2011-wrx-3-813-miles-m1-ep-sn-gf-5-a.html

M1 EP 5w-30 SN/GF-5 seem to work very well in my car. It doesn't mean that it will work for everyone. So I would suggest getting your own UOA done to see what's going on in your engine and not someone else engine. Your engine may prefer to use the same or different oil.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've been using strictly Mobil 1 on all of my vehicles for almost 15 years now. Honestly, I don't think it really makes a big difference which synthetic you use. All of them are good, and everybody I know changes their oil long before the additives in synthetics wear out. They can easily go 10k miles no sweat, and 15-20k miles isn't really that big a deal if you keep topping off. Porsche now has a 25k mile recommended oil change interval on the 911, up from 15k miles 12 years ago. I would still worry more about the filter at that point than the oil.

I personally use Mobil 1 premium filters on my Subaru too. Their filter medium stops particles 4-5 times smaller than your standard oil filters on the market. But even cheapo oil filters trap down to a particle level that's so small I don't know if they could really do anything to the engine because they're so microscopic. I'll keep spending a few extra bucks on the good filters anyway. My Porsche uses a replaceable filter insert and not the standard filter-in-a-can approach 99.9% of cars do, so I can't get the Mobil 1 filters for that car, and just buy these German-made ones that are made by the OEM manufacturer, but are 1/2 the price if you don't buy them from the dealer with a Porsche logo on them.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to use synthetic of some sort, keep your oil level topped up, and change it and the filter regularly (7500 mile change intervals or more are perfectly fine).

·
Registered
902 Posts
Good luck if your using Mobil 1 5w-30 for 7,500 mile intervals. UOA's and spun bearings have proven it to be one of the worst oil's for a wrx or sti.

I use German Castrol because it has proven to be one of the best over the shelf true synthetic (ester based) oil's sold in a 30 weight spec.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I use German Castrol because it has proven to be one of the best over the shelf true synthetic (ester based) oil's sold in a 30 weight spec.
Where did you buy German Castrol? I couldn't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My local Auto Zone. Just picked up a bunch on sale ($23 for 5 quarts after rebate) You get a filter too but I use the oem Subaru filters.

·
29,232 Posts
That's a good price on the German Castrol, and 0W is suitable for year-round use anywhere etc. Nice buy.

I don't know who makes the STP filters, but I think they have the correct bypass pressure for a Subaru and not many other filters seem to.

About the M1 5W-30 -- I am unconvinced about any danger associated with it, but then again I am also entirely unconcerned since I don't use it. I do use M1 5W-40 Turbodiesel or M1 0W-40, and the latter does something very interesting and I wonder if the 5W-30 does the same:

The M1 0W-40 is used in some cars that have "factory" extended OCIs, like VAGs and some owner-maintained Mercs etc. It seems that it initially thins out, but then by, say 7,000 miles in to the oil change interval it thickens back up again. I wonder if 5W-30 does the same. Don't know, not worried either way, just wondering.

Anybody try the "Belgian" Castrol 5W-40?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts