ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned three WRX's over the years and in 2017 purchased a Forster XT as it was becoming very evident that Subaru had completely abandoned the idea of a WRX wagon or hatch. The XT was a nice vehicle and more practical than my previous WRX's- more room, better clearance on Forest Service roads, etc. BUT it just lacked the nimbleness of a smaller WRX. It also wasn't offered with a manual, which I sorely missed (as did my wife).

I wasn't really looking for anything different, but bumped into a 2019 VW Sportwagen at quasi local dealership. 1.8 turbo, 4Motion, 6 speed, oh and it was white (like my three previous WRX's!). It was "used" with 2600 miles on it and they were asking $20k for it. A quick check of KBB, NADA, etc showed my XT to have a trade in value of around $20k- hmmm?

Our XT was coming up on 36,000 miles and almost out of warranty. As the Sportwagen was "used" it went through their Certified Pre Owned program, which added a year to the normal warranty- thus 7 years and 84,000 miles bumper to bumper, not too shabby :)

We (wife and I) test drove the Sportwagen on some local winding mountain roads and were impressed with both the handling and available power. We decided that if they gave us very close to the $20k, we'd take it. After a short negotiation, we signed over our title, gave them $299 for a "title work" and swapped keys.

Anyways, we're really enjoying the wagon and I'm probably going to dust off my helmet and give it a go autoxing (it's been 5-6 years since I've raced).

If on the off chance Subaru decides to ever produce another WRX hatch/wagon, we'd certainly give it a very hard look, but at this juncture- looks unlikely.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,327 Posts
Congrats! White us the best. My next car will be white!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Good stuff, hard not to like a wagon! :)

·
2,546 Posts
Very cool! @Big Sky VW :)

I have a fondness for VWs. Dad's '57 split window ragtop (sunroof) was the first car I drove, and many more since. I had the first front-wheel drive car in my town that wasn't a Toronado or Eldorado (or the Cord in town) with my '75 Scirocco. And as you know, I'm a wagon fan, like you. Not many big country-crossing wagons around any more. I might look at the Volvo V90 for my next wagon. My 4Runner is practical, but not something I'm particularly attached to like the '02 WRX wagon and the '08 OBXT wagon.

Enjoy the new white wagon!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Man, Steve, I'll bet that '57 VW was a cool ride! I was thinking that they were ovals by that time. Sure would love a '50's vintage beetle as a project car, at some point.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
20,433 Posts
Congrats and enjoy your new wagon! It's a nice looking ride. Subie is losing all us wagon lovers.

·
20,433 Posts
I'm considering getting a Buick TourX wagon, they are seriously discounting them at the dealerships around here.

·
20,433 Posts
Two things are negatives for me, no manual tranny and the engine shuts off when you stop. I have seen them in person, great looking wagon, looks better than pictures. AWD and 250 HP turbo engine.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,327 Posts
Engine shutoff is going to be widespread, if not universal, until we finally get rid of internal combustion. I rented a FIAT years ago that had it and virtually everywhere at lights and stop signs you can hear starter motors whirring.

I’ve wanted a diesel Merc wagon for a long time — a W123 in mustard yellow — but it’ll never happen and big Merc wagons are now also nearly extinct. I’m surprised VAG still offers a wagon. Good for them!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts