ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Espelir exhaust on my STi, at times when I accelerate and go WOT I hear a popping sound. It doesn't happen often and I can't always replicate it. Can someone explain why this is happening? Too lean or too rich? My only other mod is a WORX BOV which is set to 25% VTA.

Thanks,
Erik

·
6,298 Posts
Hmmm...he is saying that it "pops" during acceleration, not when he lets off. This is common? Mine hasn't done that, and I essentially have the same setup as the poster.

If you aren't throwing and CELs or seeing an impact on performance, I would be mystified as to why it is doing this. Maybe you could record it and post the sound?

Pardon my ignorance if I'm out of line, but to me, the only time a car should "pop" or backfire during acceleration is if a plug is fouled or it's running way to rich, which would give even more backfire on deceleration. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yeah I didnt really read it ;) It shouldnt be popping while you are wot unless there are some problems with the car but if its popping when you lift its pretty normal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A popping sound under acceleration could also be knock!

If the sound is once you let off then it's the BOV causing a rich condition and you have excess fuel burning in the exhaust.

·
Registered
860 Posts
mick_the_ginge said:
A popping sound under acceleration could also be knock!

If the sound is once you let off then it's the BOV causing a rich condition and you have excess fuel burning in the exhaust.
or having your AFRs jump a point or so. <- speaks from experience before fully tuning the fuel map. ;)

·
6,298 Posts
Yeah, totally normal. I kind of like the sound myself.

·
6,298 Posts
skyphix said:
Pretty soon you might even blow flames!

Yah, its normal.
I'd rather flow blames.....;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Mine pops when I let off after going WOT. I've still got the second cat in place too. I doubt I'm getting flames because of the cat tho.

I want to shoot flames!! My friend's SR20 shoots flames all the time and I was hoping to shoot some flames back at him when we raced but I couldnt :(

·
Registered
525 Posts
I didn't see anyone else mention this, but the normal popping under decel is referred to as "afterfire," not backfire. Backfiring is very bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts