Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,

check out what my be the worlds only carbon fiber sub enclosure!!

I layed up carbon fiber cloth and epoxy resin inside of the spare tire rim, then i made the top out of 2 sheets of 3/4" mdf witch i coverd in ozite carpet to match the oem carpet. I also installed a www.davidnavone.com line out converter on the center consel

this thing sounds really tight!!!

the other speakers are the factory upgraded units from subaru.
I tried a set of alpnie 1629's but the factories sounded better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is the carbon fiber part that goes inside the spare tire rim. it is not all show quality and shinny but rest assured it is real carbon fiber (5 harness to be exact) fiberglass would have worked just as well but i had accses to both, so I chose the more exotic.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
That is cool. Any idea what the internal volume is? Did you just use the spare as the mold?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
that is freakin cool!!! but wait....do mine eyes deceive me? do you still have the spare in there?

i want one :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES I can still use my spare!!! internal voulume is about .80 cubic feet. perfect for the JL audio 10w6. also used poly-fil.

I used to have a kenwood dual bandpass encloser with 2 10"s in it. this new encolser is just as good if not better, the bass is a lot tighter just the way i like it.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
.8 cubic feet is perfect. I'm gonna make one. I'll make it out of glass though so I'm not ripping you off. (Well, actually so I can do it on the cheap!)

Chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
Man, that is very nice. I've been considering doing something similar, but not Carbon Fiber. Probably with a 10W3v2 though, but that could be tight in terms of internal volume :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
kudos, jetguy! That looks REALLY good! I really like the fact that you can keep the spare. I've not ever understood taking the spare out. I've not ever had a flat tire, but I sure wouldn't chance it, unless I had "run flats" or something like that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the good words,
2 more days until the sti hood scoop and zerosports grill come back from the painters!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Kicker S12L7

I loved that enclosure and the Minimum recomended sealed box for this sub is 0.88 Cu Ft..
Great..
But do you think the S12L7 will fit there??
its a 12 inch square one..
I loved that setup and here in Brazil i could get some CF,,or maybe i make it from MDF.
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the mold complete, just looking to put the top on it. Based on the first pic it looks like the top plate of the enclosure is at the same height as the support bar running through the factory cover. Do you have any problems with the woofer hitting the cover at high excursions?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Man that looks and most likely sounds TIGHT! :p

I Wish my 10w7 would fit like that. I need at least 1.25 of space.. I have a box being made as we TYPE... I went to JL's website and took a Civic Sealthbox Spec. and gonna build one close to that. ill take pictures when its done...

·
Registered
22 Posts
sweet!!!!

i may try that in fiberglass, but i have a question. do you really need the molded encloser? couldn't you do the exact same thing without the fiberglass/cf, just use the spare tire "tub" as the encloser? has anyone tried that? it would be a larger "encloser" and an easier project. i guess there may be problems sealing it properly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts