ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I need some help. If you have seen my other threads about woes with the dealer with tranny fixes and things like that, Well my tranny is finally fixed, all good to go. I get my car back, and install my UTEC Stage II, take it out, great for like 3 minutes and BAM, CEL flashes(misfires), and the car smells like something is electrically wrong. The UTEC was definately installed 110% good to go, grounding was fine and everything. So we take it out and reset the cpu. Same problem. CEL flash, limp mode, and it idles like a vibrator now. When you try and drive it the throttle sputters and surges it seems like. You can have a consistent foot on the throttle and it sitll seems like you "burp" the throttle a bit. Since then i've checked for leakers after the compressor, wastegate, intercooler houses, everything i feel like. Any ideas?? The ECU has been reset several times and it still does it every time i crank. Any help would be a big help!

Scotty

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I forgot to mentioned, after i had the problem with limp mode and smelled the electrical problem we took the UTEC out and went back to stock, reset the ECU as well. So tuning is not an issue as all that is done to the car is just up/dp/catback..

Nevermind, just re-read what i wrote, i did say i took out the UTEC, so tuning is not an issue. I was on my way out to do some tuning and that's when the car went to limp mode and i smelled electrical "heat"

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh, BLAME SUBARU! maybe they messed up something, hmmm electrical smell it sounds familiar. check your oil...i know its electrical just do it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses? I know it seems simple but you may be suprised.

·
Registered
818 Posts
this may sound dumb but did you disconnect the neg battery terminal before installation? i knew a guy that was doing a similar installation on his car without disconnecting the battery and fried the ECU. $800 replacement. not saying you fried your ECU but it could be something else that smells like hot electronics

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Blarg---thank you...for RUBBING IT IN MY FACE, it does look good in the garage though :wiggles:

Yes, I disconnected the neg terminal of the battery. I smelled the "electronics" smell coming from the fuse box, what fuse could it be? I have never heard of such a weird problem, I am baffled. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Once again...I did not fry anything as the negative terminal was off. One thing i did notice was that the turbo inlet hose when re-installed by the dealer was pinched off leaving a small leak. I fixed that but due to the leak could it be possible that I could have fouled up my spark plugs which is cauing my current "rich running" problem? I have no idea how to fix this and it sucks ass.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yay, figured it out. We threw a #4 cylinder misfire code again and took the coilpack off the plug and it was pretty much melted together, the wires and shizzle. So we're gonna take the plug out and change it and get a new coilpack. Any idea how much this guy costs?

Special thanks to Weedy for helpin me with my ride over the past week or two, actually since I've had it with installs. Thanks bro! :thumbup:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anytime Scotty...

Let's get this thing taken care of so that we can start to have some real fun with it! :wiggles:

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Cavadini said:
yay, figured it out. We threw a #4 cylinder misfire code again and took the coilpack off the plug and it was pretty much melted together, the wires and shizzle. So we're gonna take the plug out and change it and get a new coilpack. Any idea how much this guy costs?

Special thanks to Weedy for helpin me with my ride over the past week or two, actually since I've had it with installs. Thanks bro! :thumbup:
don't ask me why, Im just curious. You got pics of it?
do you know what caused the wires or what not to melt? or did it just go bad?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I unfortunately failed to get pics of it, I have no diagnosis yet because I just took the car down or rather had the car towed down to get those parts that needed to be replaced....replaced. I'm sure the dealer isg onna give some mumbo jumbo about how my exhaust caused them to melt....just kidding...thankfully my dealer is fairly cool. It sure did suck seeing the car getting towed AGAIN this morning. It was funny. The tow truck driver said "Is this the same WRX I towed a few days ago up at north 27th street"....I had to answer....yes...and I gave it a good ol :sadwave: and watched her roll down the street

·
Registered
186 Posts
I actually have a picture of it. Ended up being a faulty coil pack. When I removed it it was apparent that the contact for the plug never actually sat around the top of the plug. So it ended up arcing and then eventually overworking the coil pack and then melting the plastic.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
after round two of UTEC install with a fresh coilpack, me and weedy found out it was faulty UTEC frying coilpack #4 instead. Sucks!! :mad: So now I gotta wait for another UTEC and Coilpack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts