ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a Cobb stage 2 '04 making around 230 WHP (?) and just for sh!ts and giggles we decided to play around tonight in the rain. :eek3: Well, it wasn't exactly "raining", but the ground was very wet...

I caught up to him and we both hit it from a roll of about 40 up to about 80 when I shut down. It was no real contest, even though I was spinning tire all through 2nd, left him about 4-5 cars behind. Then we went from a dig. :eek3: I was kind of supprised to see that even with his AWD launch (~3500-4000 rpm), and my 1500 rpm feather, it was about even until the top of 1st gear. I spun all through 1st and grabed 2nd about 2 cars ahead of him, got a little sloppy in the rear, and then pulled like a SOB and shut down ~8 cars ahead. :)

What really supprised me is that my car has poop for traction and I managed to keep with him through the launch. If it was a better driver or if he had a little more power, I think he would have pulled a little harder off the line... I have been so afraid of running this car from a dig against an AWD car, and this puts me a little at ease I guess. I am still planning on getting stickier tires for the summer, though, because I will need it to hang with some of the nastier EVOs and STis around here... :cool: I will be heading to the dyno this spring after the header/ exhaust install for a baseline and gains. There is a lot to learn going from AWD to RWD and I can't wait 'till the spring... :p

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
umm.......yeah. still hating you.

;) :p j/k have fun w/ that beast. look forward to hearing kill stories from ya in it :wiggles:

·
Registered
473 Posts
So when does the supercharger got put on?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I so envy you right now. This is how I feel about your C6 til I get one of my own to play with...

·
Registered
706 Posts
SOUTHPAW said:
My friend has a Cobb stage 2 '04 making around 230 WHP (?) and just for sh!ts and giggles we decided to play around tonight in the rain. :eek3: Well, it wasn't exactly "raining", but the ground was very wet...

I caught up to him and we both hit it from a roll of about 40 up to about 80 when I shut down. It was no real contest, even though I was spinning tire all through 2nd, left him about 4-5 cars behind. Then we went from a dig. :eek3: I was kind of supprised to see that even with his AWD launch (~3500-4000 rpm), and my 1500 rpm feather, it was about even until the top of 1st gear. I spun all through 1st and grabed 2nd about 2 cars ahead of him, got a little sloppy in the rear, and then pulled like a SOB and shut down ~8 cars ahead. :)

What really supprised me is that my car has poop for traction and I managed to keep with him through the launch. If it was a better driver or if he had a little more power, I think he would have pulled a little harder off the line... I have been so afraid of running this car from a dig against an AWD car, and this puts me a little at ease I guess. I am still planning on getting stickier tires for the summer, though, because I will need it to hang with some of the nastier EVOs and STis around here... :cool: I will be heading to the dyno this spring after the header/ exhaust install for a baseline and gains. There is a lot to learn going from AWD to RWD and I can't wait 'till the spring... :p

You put 8 cars lengths on a mid 13 second awd car from a dig with a mid 12 second rwd car in the rain? Hmmmm

·
Registered
757 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
You put 8 cars lengths on a mid 13 second awd car from a dig with a mid 12 second rwd car in the rain? Hmmmm
Hmmmm what? The WRX didn't outlaunch him, so that negates the only advantage it would have had. Didn't say how fast they took it up to either. 1 second difference at the 1/4 mile mark is about 10 car lengths... So 7-8 car lengths from a dig sounds plausible, depending on when they both let off...

The traction control in my F-body sucks for maximizing acceleration, but the new generation setup in the C6's are way improved and do allow for some slippage. Was this with stability control/traction control activated or switched off?

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's a sin to speak of winning a race on a wet road in Subaru forums like this ;) .

Everything sounds legit. Good Kill and be safe.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Man I don't get it. I just do not see how a c6 can hang with a stg2 wrx in the rain. It must have been very light rain then. :confused1

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hey Southpaw....

You gonna be ready for me in the summer...Well have to meet up somewhere ;) ...

Just remember no matter what my hp you will have the aerodynamic advantage. :D

Bully Kill....my fav.

·
Registered
757 Posts
First line, he described the pavement as being wet, and not really raining. Wouldn't make a difference really, unless there was standing water.

The new C6's have a HUGE contact patch for their rear tires. I believe they are 295 mm wide for the tires, and 19" wheels. Not sure what the overall diameter of the tire is, though, so the front to rear contact patch of the rear tires is a question mark. I think it's easy to assume, however, it's much larger than that of a WRX's rear tires, but still somewhat less than all 4 of a WRX's typical 205/55/16 tires. So in straightline acceleration, the C6 may still have a surprising amount of grip given the sheer size and grippy nature of their tires. Some pavement types have more traction than others when wet or dry, also, so that's another variable.

Harnessing that power to the rear wheels when turns are introduced is a different story altogether, however.

That's how I'd explain it if I had to. :)

Of note: On Wed night, I watched a new C6 with a set of modified C5 headers and a homemade cold air kit dyno 405 rwhp. Or about 50 hp more than stock... This was over at Speed Inc www.ls1speed.com in Schaumburg IL. Sounded BAD-ASS!!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I am still planning on getting stickier tires for the summer, though, because I will need it to hang with some of the nastier EVOs and STis around here... :cool: I will be heading to the dyno this spring after the header/ exhaust install for a baseline and gains. There is a lot to learn going from AWD to RWD and I can't wait 'till the spring... :p

...[/QUOTE]
Fear the nasty Evo's and STi's :D Yeah can't wait for spring too.. I hate the winter.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well..look at the facts:

230whp vs 350whp...

Rain, hail, sleet, snow....it should all yield the same result..

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
13secwrx said:
Well..look at the facts:

230whp vs 350whp...

Rain, hail, sleet, snow....it should all yield the same result..
well snow and ice would prob leave the vette standing still...lol...and the wrx in a snowbank... :p

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, it was all I could find! :D Afterall, I am still getting used to the car... I can't wait till the spring, I will post more worthy kill stories then! ;) :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Me and you...we'll get it on tape.

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
13secwrx said:
Me and you...we'll get it on tape.

I graciously accept. I know by then we will be putting down similar numbers. Even if you win, I would have had the honor of racing a formidable challenger... ;)

BTW, by now don't you have as much into your car as I do? :p

See you this spring... :cool:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Dan00Hawk said:
I believe they are 295 mm wide for the tires, and 19" wheels.
They're 285/35/19.... That's still a lot of rubber.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dan00Hawk said:
First line, he described the pavement as being wet, and not really raining. Wouldn't make a difference really, unless there was standing water.

The new C6's have a HUGE contact patch for their rear tires. I believe they are 295 mm wide for the tires, and 19" wheels. Not sure what the overall diameter of the tire is, though, so the front to rear contact patch of the rear tires is a question mark. I think it's easy to assume, however, it's much larger than that of a WRX's rear tires, but still somewhat less than all 4 of a WRX's typical 205/55/16 tires. So in straightline acceleration, the C6 may still have a surprising amount of grip given the sheer size and grippy nature of their tires. Some pavement types have more traction than others when wet or dry, also, so that's another variable.

Harnessing that power to the rear wheels when turns are introduced is a different story altogether, however.

That's how I'd explain it if I had to. :)

Of note: On Wed night, I watched a new C6 with a set of modified C5 headers and a homemade cold air kit dyno 405 rwhp. Or about 50 hp more than stock... This was over at Speed Inc www.ls1speed.com in Schaumburg IL. Sounded BAD-ASS!!! :cool:

I had 275s on the rear of my supra and it didn't mean a damn thing when it came to rain, i know its a different car then the C6 but it realy doesn't matter how wide your tires are the simple fact is that its rear wheel drive and has no weight on the back tires so no matter how wide they are its going to spin em unless you granny it off the line. If i went WOT in my supra on a wet surface it would spin the tires in the 1st two gears, i would think the vette with much more power would spin them in the first 4 gears if he went WOT. Also i really don't see 1 second in the 1/4 being 10 cars lengths, but perhaps im wrong, its more like 5 cars if you ask me from my drag racing experience.

I just want to clarify that i think the C6 is an amazing car and i would love to own one but i can't afford one. I know the C6 would destroy a Cobb stage 2 wrx in a race on a dry pavement. I have own many RWD cars and i wouldn't even bother racing cars in the rain or wet surface because my supra which ran a [email protected] after only taking it to the track once would get its ass handed to it from a dig by just about anything in the rain, i would have to give it half throttle if i didn't want to spin them and if i spun them i wouldn't stand a chance. With the cobb stage 2 wrx taking a launch from a dig on a dry surface i would think it could hold its own through the about 50mph with a C6 then it would just blow by it, on a wet road i would think the wrx would def take the C6 to about 65 or so since the C6 would have to come off the line much easier. With this race the WRX and the C6 were dead even off the line on a wet road which surprises me, maybe it did happen, but i can't see the wrx launching hard and the C6 still running dead even off the line through first gear in the rain. I could be wrong but thats just how i see it. Nice car by the way, maybe when the C6s are 7 years old or so i can afford a used one :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I totally agree that in most circumstances, it's not gonna happen too often that a high HP rwd car will match an AWD car in the wet at speeds below 70 mph. Southpaw got the one in hundred type of matchup and took advantage of it. :)

But for the 10 car lengths = 1 second (or 1 car length = 1/10 of a second), let's look at the math:

Use 105 mph for a trapspeed. Divide by 60 to get 1.75 miles per minute. Divide by 60 to get .029166 miles per seconds. Multiply by 5280 feet to get 154 feet per second. Most vehicles are 14-16 feet in length. Thus, 10 car lengths are travelled in one second (or 1 car length for every tenth of a second) when trapspeeds are around 105 mph. Numbers never lie. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts