ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 wrx
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so this is my first post so that's cool. I have a 2004 wrx and the previous owner removed the skid plate under the car which I didn't think was a problem but I noticed a rattle coming from my bumper a few days ago and found out the right side is mostly held on by loose zipties and it looks like it's missing some screws on the bottom too. I'm wondering what I should do right now, like just ziptie galour, find some new screws or figure out how people do that quick detach bumpers. Cause I got plans for this car and I figure that ought to make an install like a front mount intercooler a lot easier. Thanks to anyone that reads this

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
I'm concerned about your plans based on your other posts...

Seems that you are content with just throwing mods at the wall and hoping that they'll stick. The WRX isn't a good platform for poor modification planning. If you want the thrill of just slapping parts on a car, Honda's are a far better platform.

·
Registered
2004 wrx
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense as to why it came off that way but that's why I'm here. I want to learn how to do this properly and am looking to you guys for advice and guidance. I have a good foundation of theoretical knowledge that I want to build on with the practical knowledge I'll find here so I can do all of this right the first time around. In terms of the sti shortblock that was installed based on mechanic recommendation, he showed me that both the wrx and sti short blocks cost the same coming from the factory and explained that wrx's have a penchant for rod bearing failure whereas the sti block does not. At the time I was stranded in Medford Oregon and wanted that nightmare of an ordeal to be over with so I suppose it is fair that I didn't do a whole lot of research on my own before giving the green light.

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
There are little differences in both the bearings used, the design of the oil galleys, and the design of the crankshaft between the 2.5L and the 2.0L. The 2.0L oil pan is flat vs. the "stepped" design of the 2.5L oil pan. In theory, that allows greater sloshing and possibility of oil starvation in the 2L vs. 2.5L.

In reality, that rumor started because the 2.0L was older than the 2.5L and there were just a greater number on the market with higher miles.

At this point, any discussion about an intercooler is the least of your concerns. Certainly adapting a FMIC is only recommended in cases where the vehicle is not daily driven as there are quite significant drawbacks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts