ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hello people. I dont have a WRX but my friend does and he thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. He also thinks its the fastest car in the world. So maybe you guys can set this stright. Now i know that we will never know without actual dyno sheets etc. But you guys have a lot of insight so here it goes.

My buddies 2002 WRX

Mods:
Factory (SPR) Short ram intake
Perrin inlet tube
Catless Downpipe (dont know brand)
Catless Uppipe (dont know brand)
Turbo Manaifold (dont know brand)
Full HKS exhaust
and a professonal tune from Rallytech. He claims its stage two but in reality its just a TUNE. They look at what mods you have and tune the car to suit thoes mods. Major tune they did was tune the turbo to 17psi max.

Things that are still compleatly stock:
Transmission
Clutch
Turbo
Engine
Intercooler
Suspension

Now he thinks hes faster then a stock STI
he thinks hes has 280hp to all 4 wheels because they guy at rallytech told him that stage 2 WRXs dyno at 280
he also thinks he can probably beat a modded 1995 M3 thats in our car club. This M3 has a bunch of transmission work that is pushing over 300hp in 2nd gear.

He has NO dyno sheets he has NEVER raced an STI he has raced the M3 when he only had the exhaust and intake. he was KILLED by it.

He also raced a modded Honda Civic with all the mods except the tune and lost!

What do you guys think

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Spam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not spam, spelling is better.

No idea man. With a custom tune it just depends on the tuner. And it is buddy's not buddies. Sorry, grammar bothers me.:sadwave:

Others might be able to give you a guess...

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If he can drive he could run with sti's, sounds like he can't. I beat an E46 M3 with an intake and shift kit by 2-3 cars at least when I only had a DP and EM.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
prob. 215whp maybe 225whp at most, 280whp is way out of range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not spam, spelling is better.

No idea man. With a custom tune it just depends on the tuner. And it is buddy's not buddies. Sorry, grammar bothers me.:sadwave:

Others might be able to give you a guess...

The tune mostly got rid of the CEL that the catless down/up pipe created and raised the boost to 17psi max from 15psi.

thats pretty much it

the tune only costed $140

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok now from talking to my friend he claims he MENT to say he has 280 lbs/torque at the wheels.

I still dont think he has that much torque since stock is 217 to the crank and torque comes from transmisson mods which he has none

·
3,726 Posts
Ok now from talking to my friend he claims he MENT to say he has 280 lbs/torque at the wheels.

I still dont think he has that much torque since stock is 217 to the crank and torque comes from transmisson mods which he has none
no, it does not. torque and hp both come from engine mods.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Many Stage 2 maps (really just a downpipe and some sort of engine management) claim to have crank hp in the 280'ish range on the 2002-2005 WRX. That may be his area of confusion. Of course, an AWD car loses a lot of that getting it to the ground; so 220'ish to the wheels is probably pretty accurate.

If he got a "professional tune", he might have a bit more, depending on the tuner and the dyno used to measure.

OTOH, who cares? A Stage 2 WRX is a fun, spirited vehicle to drive. It's certainly not ultra-fast, but it's a big improvement over stock. Let him think that his car is fast...what difference does it make? :tongue:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
those torque numbers may be possible out of a stage 2 on the 2.5L(06+) with a good tune, but not on the 2.0L. With his mods, i'd say 230hp at the wheels and around 230 ft.lb of torque.

·
Peachypumpkincheeks
8,621 Posts
Ok hello people. I dont have a WRX but my friend does and he thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. He also thinks its the fastest car in the world.
The WRX is the best thing since sliced bread!!! Why can't you just let your buddy take pride in his ride and enjoy it?! :sadwave: Reality will set in when he goes to a track.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Fisrt. Tranny upgrades do not make power, it will only hold it better.

It is possible that some stage 2 WRX's can stay with a STOCK STi. If an STi has EM where their bigger turbo is being taken full advantage of, it is a sure loss if the drivers are the same quality. (Except if the STi is stage one and the WRX has meth) STi's with a TBE and protune should make +300WHP

But the fact that he lost to a modded but UNtuned civic kinda makes me think its not one of the lucky few stage 2 WRX's or he needs to work on his driving. Unless the civ had a beast of a turbo but that would require much tuning.

All in all I love my 02 Stage2 WRX its quick and nimble but I'm not about to race a muscle car from a roll.....yett

·
Registered
187 Posts
Many Stage 2 maps (really just a downpipe and some sort of engine management) claim to have crank hp in the 280'ish range on the 2002-2005 WRX. That may be his area of confusion. Of course, an AWD car loses a lot of that getting it to the ground; so 220'ish to the wheels is probably pretty accurate.

If he got a "professional tune", he might have a bit more, depending on the tuner and the dyno used to measure.

OTOH, who cares? A Stage 2 WRX is a fun, spirited vehicle to drive. It's certainly not ultra-fast, but it's a big improvement over stock. Let him think that his car is fast...what difference does it make? :tongue:
+1

I have an 06 wrx stage 2... and I may be close to 280 tq at the wheels... more like 270 or so... but as far as 280 whp... highly unlikely on a stock turbo... I'm betting more like 220...

He will get a nice awakening when he goes to the track...

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
The "280" number he got was probably CRANK hp, not wheel hp.

At stage 2 (downpipe + tune), I ran a 14.1... that was my best time... and I'm a 2.5L, not a 2.0 like your friend.

.... a little slower than a 100% stock STI.

If a civic beat him.... that civic is bad-ass. But much like anything, the more $$ you put in a car, the faster you go. Hell, with enough cash, I could get a Dodge caravan to run 10s. Not that I would.... but I could--LOL

The M3 may be putting down more power, but it's also carrying a lot more weight. It'd be an interesting race. There are so many factors though.

The day I broke into the 12s, I was racing a stock late model Camaro SS.... which if I recall, are rated at 300 hp. I not only beat him, I handed him his own ass on a platter. He ran a 14.2, which is respectable I guess.... but I had him by about 5 car lengths in the first 5 seconds--LOL

Do a search on youtube for "me running a 12.98 at 105"

WRXs are bad little cars... thats why we own them. With a moderate turbo/intercooler upgrade and a new tune, your friend will be in the high 12s, and that M3 won't stand a chance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok hello people. I dont have a WRX but my friend does and he thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. He also thinks its the fastest car in the world. So maybe you guys can set this stright. Now i know that we will never know without actual dyno sheets etc. But you guys have a lot of insight so here it goes.

My buddies 2002 WRX

Mods:
Factory (SPR) Short ram intake
Perrin inlet tube
Catless Downpipe (dont know brand)
Catless Uppipe (dont know brand)
Turbo Manaifold (dont know brand)
Full HKS exhaust
and a professonal tune from Rallytech. He claims its stage two but in reality its just a TUNE. They look at what mods you have and tune the car to suit thoes mods. Major tune they did was tune the turbo to 17psi max.

Things that are still compleatly stock:
Transmission
Clutch
Turbo
Engine
Intercooler
Suspension

Now he thinks hes faster then a stock STI
he thinks hes has 280hp to all 4 wheels because they guy at rallytech told him that stage 2 WRXs dyno at 280
he also thinks he can probably beat a modded 1995 M3 thats in our car club. This M3 has a bunch of transmission work that is pushing over 300hp in 2nd gear.

He has NO dyno sheets he has NEVER raced an STI he has raced the M3 when he only had the exhaust and intake. he was KILLED by it.

He also raced a modded Honda Civic with all the mods except the tune and lost!

What do you guys think
Ok I'll bite....your buddy is full of it.

I have an 07 TR with a full turbo-back and a pro-tune and I am putting 211 awhp and 261 awtq to the ground. I highly doubt that your buddy is over 220 awhp.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts