Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
81000 on the original brakes on my '02 and its time to change them out in the next 3000 miles max. My car came with the most records I've ever seen with a car and it only showed fluid flushes. I contacted the original owner and he confirmed all 4 corners are original. I think the best I ever did with any car was maybe 60000 miles. Anyone else ever get that many miles on original brakes?

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
I never have. If I see 30 I feel lucky

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I can't recall. I might have gotten close to that on my 2000 Regal. On that car I did get 151,000 miles on the OEM Firestone tires. Brake life - like most anything else - depends on one's driving habits. I have right at 50K on the WRX and still have the OEM brake pads and tires now.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,574 Posts
I got around 110,000 miles on the fronts and 125,000 on the rears on my bugeye with the original brakes. I'd be disappointed your brakes didn't last longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got around 110,000 miles on the fronts and 125,000 on the rears on my bugeye with the original brakes. I'd be disappointed your brakes didn't last longer.
You're going to be disappointed! They're to the point where I feel comfortable I'll get 3000 more miles out of them. I'm going to keep checking every 1000 miles, but my car was built in Feb of 2001 so after 17 years I don't think I need to try a stretch them out to 18 years and beyond. However it might be fun to just roll with them until I hear the first sign of metal on metal. Kind of like pushing the gas gauge as long as you can before filling up. I used to commute 40000 miles a year to work through the mountains in the Sierra's with an Outback Sport and I believe I changed brakes at 60 and 120k, and the rears at 120k. Even though it was mountains the only hard braking was when deer, bears, and the occational farm animals would cross my path. Now I live where deer, raccoons, and the rare coyote cross my path. Oh, I should mention bad drivers. We live at 1 hour from any speed limit over 55 and I'm shocked at the number of accidents and deaths here from inattentive drivers and single car crashes. On second thought I think I'll do the brakes now and not push my luck.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,574 Posts
I'd look at quality blank discs (no holes no slots) and then pick decent pads. The stickier pads will wear the discs more and make more dust but I like the feel better. Look at Hawk, EBC, Ferodo in order of expense and bite. I'd dump the fluid and try a quality DOT4 (Castrol is really affordable; there is also ATE and it's great, and there is also Motul). With anything that bites more than OEM you're not going to get the same long life but you may save a racoon's life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd look at quality blank discs (no holes no slots) and then pick decent pads. The stickier pads will wear the discs more and make more dust but I like the feel better. Look at Hawk, EBC, Ferodo in order of expense and bite. I'd dump the fluid and try a quality DOT4 (Castrol is really affordable; there is also ATE and it's great, and there is also Motul). With anything that bites more than OEM you're not going to get the same long life but you may save a racoon's life.
That's pretty much my plan. If I don't do that then I'm tempted to buy used 4 pot 2 pots from a local who just switched to Brembos on his '07. He wants $500 for all 4 and they actually look really good and have 75k on them. I don't need them, but the price is reasonable, I'm not on a budget, so why not. I'll decide soon, but first I have leaky valve cover gaskets to replace next week.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recently did my brakes and rotors. I went with ebc blanks and hawk hps pads. Took me about 2 hours. But then again I wasn't in a rush so I took my time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made my final decision. Centric premium blank rotors all around, but going H6 in the back with Hawk HPS pads all around, and better fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Made my final decision. Centric premium blank rotors all around, but going H6 in the back with Hawk HPS pads all around, and better fluid.
Words outta my mouf...

though I just switched from Stoptech streets to Centric posi-quiet 106 material all 4, with H6 mod and love them for joe-bloe commuting and seems to be low dust (if and when I ever wash my car, I'll let ya know...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts