Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was at the dealership getting a clutch under warranty. Last night some thugs broke into it and ripped out my stereo, amp, cd's and jacked my rims. They then dropped the car on the ground resting on the rotors. Of course, the dealership can't be held liable!

For a buncha pictures go here:
Http://vr4.strictly18.com/stripped/

·
Registered
109 Posts
holy $hit man thats horrible..... I cant bealive some1 would do that in a dealership parking lot.... :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I worked for Nissan about 7 years ago, that happened once in a while. We could never leave a 300ZX Twin Turbo out side, it would be gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AbAFAIRLAW.

Why is the dealership not responsible???

You gave them your car, your car was under their care,

basically, The dealership got stolen, not you...

I think, since you gave them responsability to take care of your care.

they should fix it up.

Besides, its a Tax discount for them.

Business expence.

·
433 Posts
Oh man...that's terrible. I want to crack a joke to make you feel better, but sh*t! What joke can I crack at a time like this?! :(

::thinking::

How about..... 'I'll sell you your rims and stereo back for half price?'

Oh dear. What a terrible effort. Cheer up. I'm sure someone's insurance will pay for it. Really sorry that happened though. I know I would die if that happened to my car.. :(

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: AbAFAIRLAW.

AbACUZ said:
Why is the dealership not responsible???

You gave them your car, your car was under their care,

basically, The dealership got stolen, not you...

I think, since you gave them responsability to take care of your care.

they should fix it up.

Besides, its a Tax discount for them.

Business expence.
Because there is usually a sign hanging at the service desk that says they can not be held liable for damage, theft, or vandalism of your vehicle while in their possession. I'm amazed that there isn't a fence around their parking lot though. Hope you have comprehensive :(

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
they can be held liable no matter what the sign says.
this happened to a friend of mine and the dealership was entirely liable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Inside Job

That sucks! That happened to my brother at a Mazda dealership. They were instructed to leave the car indoors or the car would not be service there. Of course the shop left the car outside and a discruntled employee stole the stereo, cut up the seats, and poured tranny fluid all over the car. Fortunately someone saw him do it and was tossed in jail the next day.

The car was never the same again.

Inside job. I bet $5 bucks...

·
1,379 Posts
cyrilgrey said:
they can be held liable no matter what the sign says.
this happened to a friend of mine and the dealership was entirely liable.
Exactly. Go get a lawyer, right now. I don't know about VA, but I know most states have a law stating that when someone takes possession of a vehicle, they are responsible for any damages that occur while it's in their possession (I got stuck on the wrong end of this once, with a dealer loaner car). That little sign has exactly zero legal bearing, at least here, it's only there in hopes that you won't try. I'm betting the dealership will roll right over after one letter from a lawyer.

My question is, how the heck did they get their jack out? :confused:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:
My question is, how the heck did they get their jack out? :confused:
big guys... :shrug:

Sorry for your loss, and I would definitely seek legal council. I think that the dealer can and should be held responsible, especially if they don't even have a fence around the property.

Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry for your loss, and I would definitely seek legal council. I think that the dealer can and should be held responsible, especially if they don't even have a fence around the property.
EXACTLY. Not having the fence around their parking lot is where you have them by the balls (negligence). Kind of the same analogy is if some kid goes into your unfenced backyard and drowns in your pool you can be held liable. Even if you had a sign that says you are not responsible for accidents in your backyard.

Go after the dealership!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am going to sound redundant here, but yes go after the dealership. They are not going to offer to pay for it, but if you squeeze, they have to. They just dont want to because even though they have insurance, they have a deductalbe too, and they dont want their rates to go up. You just have to go in there with a level head, dont scream & swear, but DO NOT take no for an answer. Good luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the dealership is basically sitting dumb with a thumb up their ass giving me the run around. I don't think it was their negligence since the car was locked. I may be able to get a lawyer and such but it will be cheaper just to pay the $100 deductable and get everything fixed so I may sell her.

That IS blood by the mirror, atleast the bastards shed some blood. Nothing is truly free!

I'll let you guys know how much the insurance company is going to allocate.

Lesson #1 Never leave your car overnight at a dealerships parking lot. If they can't do the work that day, go to another dealership.

Lesson #2 Dealerships and Insurance companys are inherently evil and are only out to make money, not friends or repeated customers.

·
1,379 Posts
pondo said:
Lesson #2 Dealerships and Insurance companys are inherently evil and are only out to make money, not friends or repeated customers.
In my more idealistic days, I would argue with you on that point. Now that I'm older and wiser, I tend to agree. Maybe not 'evil', but certainly 'greedy' :( There are exceptions, but not many.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rip off

Yes, go after the dealer. The dealer that had my brothers car tried to claim non responsibility, until he mentioned a lawyer to the owner of the Dealership. Then the car was immediately repaired.

drive fast, take chances.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts