Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been around the forum for a while now, maybe almost 2 years?, just reading, researching, and studying everything I needed to know about WRXs. Coming from a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 5-speed w/ 225k miles so it's quite the upgrade. I'm going to save my fingers some time here and copy and paste my post from NASIOC with the details. I'm in South Central PA York County right by the Mason Dixon, feel free to reach out for some local events; I'd love to attend.

Ordered 6/9, arrived 8/25, picked up 8/30. WRX Limited LBP w/ Option 22 NAV, STI STS, Vortex Generator, Homelink mirror, extended armrest, and cargo mat. Threw in some Weathertech floor mats, RA flaps, window weather guards, tail light tinted overlays, black side emblems, carbon fiber door sill overlays, and full frontal Suntek paint protection film. Getting tinted with 3M 15% and 5% windshield visor next weekend. Going to do a full clabar and Opti-coat ceramic coat myself very soon and install the boomba short shift adaptor.

As many have said, I am very overwhelmed with everything this car has to offer; honestly this thing is a spaceship compared to my old car. STS is crisp and smooth and I feel crazy that I'm going to make it even shorter with the Boomba adaptor. There's a tiny bit of play in 1st and 2nd when in gear but it's not bothersome. Haven't had her long enough (about 350 miles) to really get a feel for what I don't like yet. Everything seems right so far and I'm not a good critic as I've never had a car this nice. The leather seats are fantastic, bolsters hug me but not too much and the 10-way power adjustability leaves nothing to be desired. (I'm 6'0, 180lbs) Steering is smooth and predictable, does not pull left or right at all.

My biggest heartthrob right now is the headlights. The C-lights look so mean and they're just bright enough. The LED high/low w/ fogs provide perfect coverage and the cutoff is a very nice crisp line IMO. The steering response is very sensitive and moves a lot, it's lighting up side areas before you're even looking there without sacrificing light ahead. All in all with the blacked out backing, the headlights are just so sleek and tie the whole thing together.

Planning to change the oil at 1000 miles with Rotella T6 and put on the fumoto valve. Future plans include AOS, roof racks, koni yellows, MP front lip with rally innovations lightbar and a couple PIAAs, weighted shift knob, dash camera front and rear, winter tires for the winter on stock rims, and a new summer wheels setup TBD for next year. Some pics are before the first wash and mods, some are from this morning. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Congratulations on your beautiful 2018. Coincidentally, yesterday I met up with JB_Utah while on our 4,000 mile road trip and he gave me a thorough review of all the 2018's changes on his beauty (some of which were new to me) -- and enjoyed his many mods already. I really like many of the '18's changes -- and did not even have the time to experience the 2018's better ride.

While I love my 2017, the '18's are really nice. I have a crush on the standard Ltd's wheels. Look almost like a black chrome in person. [Love to buy a set if someone chooses to go aftermarket.]

You are one lucky person bwilson 7990!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congratulations on your beautiful 2018. Coincidentally, yesterday I met up with JB_Utah while on our 4,000 mile road trip and he gave me a thorough review of all the 2018's changes on his beauty (some of which were new to me) -- and enjoyed his many mods already. I really like many of the '18's changes -- and did not even have the time to experience the 2018's better ride.

While I love my 2017, the '18's are really nice. I have a crush on the standard Ltd's wheels. Look almost like a black chrome in person. [Love to buy a set if someone chooses to go aftermarket.]

You are one lucky person bwilson 7990!
Thanks man!!! I remember looking at the 2017s before the 18's were out imagining how much I was going to love them. Then the 2018 came out and some of the stock photos made me skeptical at first. But the more I saw them, the more I liked them, and then once I saw them in person I was blown away. They're such an interesting color that hides dirt so well yet they pop so hard when they're sparkling clean. And they're so wide! First time I took them off the car I couldn't believe how big they were (coming from a 205/55/R16 on my cavalier it's a big jump). Overall I am loving everything about this car. Almost out of the break-in so oil change and full throttle is in my near future.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's some pics of the undercarriage after getting her on a lift for the first time, some dark shots in my buddy's warehouse space, and some first attempt with the Adams Polishes foam cannon!

Was about to upgrade shift adapter plate

Stock versus Boomba Racing. Used the Perrin Brass bushing too. The inner diameter of the Perrin bushing was ever so slightly too small, so I opened it up a little with a fine file - bit by bit- until it was perfect. I ordered these two parts going after the two highest rated parts and didn't even think about them not being compatible. The results were fantastic. Super solid, extremely short, crisp shifts. Beyond happy. One note: There is a lower protective 'bracket' and a rear cover 'shield', the shield did not clear the Boomba so it was not reinstalled. The bolt at the very top of the shield was almost impossible to reach anyway and the natural location keeps the shift plate adapter very protected as is so I was fine with not reinstalling.

Foam cannon was amazing! Need to figure out the best air/nozzle width combination to make the best foam, but it worked soooo well for getting the majority of the dirt off before hand washing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the tints done finally. 20% Global films done by a local professional buddy of mine. Absolutely love the darkness inside. Did a full LED conversion (except turn signals because I don't want to molest the wiring) which I still need to take pictures of. Got my bike out and put them side-by-side for the first time today :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
really cool man, i have the same parts, perrin shift bushing and boomba adapter plate. miffed that they dont fit.. did it not really go through? how much filing did you need?
Correct! Didn't even think about it before ordering. I took a fine circular file and put it in a drill motor with an adjustable bite. Put the bushing in a vice and moved the file spinning on the drill in and out with a circular motion to keep the opening even. Just keep watching the amount of shavings that come out and test fit often. Be sure to put the bearing in the device in a way that you clamp it's thickness and not it's diameter to avoid egging it/deforming it's outer diameter roundness. Your drill should be lateral not vertical when setup correctly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts