Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm been waiting awhile to do this but I'm going to be starting my build thread on my new 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX bought the car two weeks ago came with a K&N short ram intake Cat-Back exhaust and a turbo XS blow off valve which needs to go it is atmospheric so that's no bueno also looks like it has all new hoses and stuff like that but couple weeks into it and I'm already starting to see some problems when I smack on the throttle I feel a little bit of what feels like a misfire but there's no codes or anything like that already had to replace the O2 sensor and the spark plugs when I went to go replace the spark plugs I saw that the wiring harness clip was cracked on my cylinder 3 spark plug so I'll be needing to replace the boots and coil packs to now also my suspension is going you're a little bit of a clunk from that and the brakes are gone looking to replace those with some ICS coilovers and some Brembo brakes although I'm open to recommendations if anyone else has any other ideas I'm looking to purchase the coilovers within the next week or two as of right now I'm trying to get the used car dealer to pay for the brakes because that's a necessary safety feature so I figured I might be able to get them to go ahead and cough up some cash for that I bought the car for about 15 grand he was selling it for 16 I paid 15 out the door so car only has 80,000 miles 3 owners but two of the owners only had it for like ten thousand miles each car was driven under 10k miles a year for its entire life I'll post pictures of the car later

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also AC clutch is on its way out and a small amount of backfire but I'm pretty sure that's normal?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys, I'm been waiting awhile to do this but I'm going to be starting my build thread on my new 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX bought the car two weeks ago came with a K&N short ram intake Cat-Back exhaust and a turbo XS blow off valve which needs to go it is atmospheric so that's no bueno also looks like it has all new hoses and stuff like that but couple weeks into it and I'm already starting to see some problems when I smack on the throttle I feel a little bit of what feels like a misfire but there's no codes or anything like that already had to replace the O2 sensor and the spark plugs when I went to go replace the spark plugs I saw that the wiring harness clip was cracked on my cylinder 3 spark plug so I'll be needing to replace the boots and coil packs to now also my suspension is going you're a little bit of a clunk from that and the brakes are gone looking to replace those with some ICS coilovers and some Brembo brakes although I'm open to recommendations if anyone else has any other ideas I'm looking to purchase the coilovers within the next week or two as of right now I'm trying to get the used car dealer to pay for the brakes because that's a necessary safety feature so I figured I might be able to get them to go ahead and cough up some cash for that I bought the car for about 15 grand he was selling it for 16 I paid 15 out the door so car only has 80,000 miles 3 owners but two of the owners only had it for like ten thousand miles each car was driven under 10k miles a year for its entire life I'll post pictures of the car later

ISC sorry

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
As long as you are happy with what you paid. I would have recommended a little more research. My 2011 was only a couple thousand more expensive.

I'm pretty sure you will need a tune for the intake and any exhaust modifications that may be there. That can be the entire issue with the car running poorly. I don't think Cobb has support for k&n intakes so you would need a dyno tune done.

I wouldn't waste your money on the coilovers. This topic has been beat into the ground, so I won't cover much of it here. The only inexpensive coilovers I've heard positive about are Feal 441. They run around 1400 bucks, and I've still seen some mention of materials quality being less than great.

I would focus on getting the vehicle tuned (unless I missed where you said you did). An intake without a tune can cause issues. Because they tend to mess with maf scaling because the air flow changes it can cause lean conditions and engine failure. Some of the older vehicles were more forgiving from what I've read, but I wouldn't risk it either way. You are in this bad boy for life.

If I were you I would take this route. Skip the brembos entirely unless you are hitting the track. Take the thousands of dollars you saved there and head to a Subaru shop. Have them evaluate the health of the vehicle in general and repair any issues asap. Your timing belt at 10 years is due, as is the water pump, vacuum lines are probably getting iffy, as well as other rubber hoses. Assuming all that is good. I would look for possible inserts for your struts and sport springs. Replace suspension bushings, and maybe grab some sway bars. Then I would find a good quality set of pads and rotors. Personally I avoid drilled, but don't mind slotted, then switch to dot 4 fluid. That should take care of your brake fade for daily driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you are happy with what you paid. I would have recommended a little more research. My 2011 was only a couple thousand more expensive.

I'm pretty sure you will need a tune for the intake and any exhaust modifications that may be there. That can be the entire issue with the car running poorly. I don't think Cobb has support for k&n intakes so you would need a dyno tune done.

I wouldn't waste your money on the coilovers. This topic has been beat into the ground, so I won't cover much of it here. The only inexpensive coilovers I've heard positive about are Feal 441. They run around 1400 bucks, and I've still seen some mention of materials quality being less than great.

I would focus on getting the vehicle tuned (unless I missed where you said you did). An intake without a tune can cause issues. Because they tend to mess with maf scaling because the air flow changes it can cause lean conditions and engine failure. Some of the older vehicles were more forgiving from what I've read, but I wouldn't risk it either way. You are in this bad boy for life.

If I were you I would take this route. Skip the brembos entirely unless you are hitting the track. Take the thousands of dollars you saved there and head to a Subaru shop. Have them evaluate the health of the vehicle in general and repair any issues asap. Your timing belt at 10 years is due, as is the water pump, vacuum lines are probably getting iffy, as well as other rubber hoses. Assuming all that is good. I would look for possible inserts for your struts and sport springs. Replace suspension bushings, and maybe grab some sway bars. Then I would find a good quality set of pads and rotors. Personally I avoid drilled, but don't mind slotted, then switch to dot 4 fluid. That should take care of your brake fade for daily driving.

I did purchase a Cobb accessport I have that in there I did not notice much of a change at all when I put that tune on, however there are some helpful gauges and the fact that I can read my codes when when a check engine light pops up I feel like it's still useful I am in the process of looking for someone who works on subarus specifically but I haven't found anyone yet a lot of the hoses have been replaced I was already thinking about doing the timing belt right now I'm actually changing the serpentine belt as we speak I have already replaced the spark plugs and the o2 sensor I was just thinking about the ISC coilovers because they look pretty nice and they were recommended to me by another Subaru guy and they're only about a grand for their basic coilover the reason I said I wanted to Brembo this because honestly that's kind of more of a cosmetic thing and I know that perform very well. I'm having a feeling that my brake pads are worn out to the point where the calipers may be locked out my rotors are also totally screwed so they all need to be replaced anyways so I was figuring I just do a whole new set if you have another set that you would recommend I would be completely open to seeing that as for the suspension that's kind of a need too

Most of the hoses that are in here feel new still some of them they're looking like they're the original equipment on here anyways like the vacuum lines

I know I overpaid but I'm okay with it since the dealers helping with some of the immediate repairs that need to be done and for the most part the body is in great condition couple of spots that are pretty rough but overall I would say probably is 7 out of 10

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Movies with the spark plugs that were in there when I bought the car I have replaced them because obviously they are worn to **** but if anyone has any insight on what the spark plug looks like and what it might tell me about the engine that would be very nice also while I was doing this I noticed that the wiring harness that plugs into my coil pack was actually kind of cracked so I'm going to Subaru to get those replaced tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Brembos will be terrible for daily driving, you won't have them up to the correct operating temperature.

Read the map notes for the tune you are using. If it does not specify that intake it is not supported and you are still not doing yourself any good, and risk total engine failure.

I can not advise against those coilovers enough, and until you have a tune for that intake the car should not be driven. When you lose a cylinder your gonna be really made your 15k into a car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brembos will be terrible for daily driving, you won't have them up to the correct operating temperature.

Read the map notes for the tune you are using. If it does not specify that intake it is not supported and you are still not doing yourself any good, and risk total engine failure.

I can not advise against those coilovers enough, and until you have a tune for that intake the car should not be driven. When you lose a cylinder your gonna be really made your 15k into a car.

Ill move that to the top of the priority list

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so i took XJman's advice about the tune, i just got an rma for my access port and a quote for my tune im using a place called six star motorsports appearantly all of the subaru guys around me use them heres a picture of the quote

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
That's a Cobb pro tuner do you need the AP? I genuinely don't know.

Keep everything updated on how it goes. Just be prepared for a possible couple hours on the dyno, basic stuff can usually be dialed in quickly, but there are always those situations where you need a little more time.

Good luck on the rest and keep us informed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a Cobb pro tuner do you need the AP? I genuinely don't know.

Keep everything updated on how it goes. Just be prepared for a possible couple hours on the dyno, basic stuff can usually be dialed in quickly, but there are always those situations where you need a little more time.

Good luck on the rest and keep us informed.

Hey thanks and i actually had that same question he said i could have used my a/p but its also open sourced the main thing were talking about right now is whether or not i have a stock up pipe hes said everything else minus whats on that quote is fine for a basic tune so i just shot him a couple pictures of the up pipe waiting to hear back still fingers crossed, dont want to buy an up pipe yet lol wanna get everything else done first haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
I skimmed so i could be missing a few things but i would deff get the tune asap anf pay what u have to i put a ram air intake in my car with out a tune and ran it for a few weeks *bigges mistake iv ever made im stupid for it* i ended up running way to lean and spun a rodd bearing and had to replace the engin so deff get the tune amd i wouldent do coilovers that my persenal opinion i would go with a good pair of struts and lowering spings but thats just me

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Running lean didn't spin a bearing. Oil problems spun a bearing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I skimmed so i could be missing a few things but i would deff get the tune asap anf pay what u have to i put a ram air intake in my car with out a tune and ran it for a few weeks *bigges mistake iv ever made im stupid for it* i ended up running way to lean and spun a rodd bearing and had to replace the engin so deff get the tune amd i wouldent do coilovers that my persenal opinion i would go with a good pair of struts and lowering spings but thats just me

Ive got it in the shop right now as we speak theyre doing a dyno tune as well as some other maintenance items and supporting mods, do you have any threads you know of persobally i can get a good read out of for the suspension?

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Just search for BC coilovers, that's the common one people look at. They are all the same. Many of the cheap coilovers are made in the same factory with the same lack of attention and quality.

Kws are often recommended for a good reason, they ride superbly, on the track, on the street they don't disappoint, however they start at roughly 2k.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just search for BC coilovers, that's the common one people look at. They are all the same. Many of the cheap coilovers are made in the same factory with the same lack of attention and quality.

Kws are often recommended for a good reason, they ride superbly, on the track, on the street they don't disappoint, however they start at roughly 2k.

Ill make sure i look around at different options besides coilovers thanks for the reccomendations

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Your welcome. Koni inserts and rce springs are a common setup. It would probably be worth asking your tuner what they prefer for your use.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just want to make it known now, i dont wanna do this build cheap i want to do it right, thats why i started this thread to have people yell at me when i say something stupid amd to get reccomendations on better choices or to have someone point me in the direction i should be heading if need be. If a part or mod is worth what they are asking price wise and it is what i need ill figure out how to get that part but the fact that those coilovers start at 2 grand doesnt scare me away, yes its more than i was expecting youre right. But if theyre worth the money and the quality is there im more than willing to make it happen!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts