ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking into getting an , txs up-pipe, txs BOV, and a blitz sus intake or K&N typhoon intake. do u guys think that these mods r good for starting out???? i am also looking into getting a TXS high flow cat exhaust with GT Spec headers. what u guys think?

·
6,298 Posts
My own personal thoughts:

Ditch the up pipe...no need in the STi. Maybe you meant down-pipe?

Start with the exhaust.

The intakes you list seem to do ok on the STi so no problems there.

BOV is a matter of personal taste. I have mine set to full recirc.

Headers are ok for the car, but they do seem to cause a few problems with gaskets/cracking if not installed right the first time. They also can change the exhaust sound if they are tuned (re: equal length headers). Unless you are going to be running some serious HP, I don't see the need, but they sure to look nice!!

My upgrade path is a bit simpler: brakes first, followed by fluids, followed by exhaust, followed by bushings, then finally engine modifications. Slow a steady basically while I check out what others are doing.

·
Banned
566 Posts
Geekqualizer said:
Yep your up pipe's catless so leave it alone.:cool:

I would not touch the uppipe either. However if you get your car modded and you still have money left or you do a turbo swap I would say go for it. Many people would disagree with me on that but I changed my uppipe out when I upgraded my turbo. I sold mine to a wrx guy and did not have to pay that much out of pocket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My upgrade path is a bit simpler: brakes first,
YBNormal07 , just wondering why you wanna do brakes?

I thought the stock Brembo setup would be more than adequate and pretty much as good as we can fit in the stock 17" wheels.

·
6,298 Posts
Take it to a road track and then you'll know. The calipers and rotors are very good, but the pads aren't up to par. They fade fast and get a little scary.
Ferrado 2500 pads for street and strip are a great addition.
SS lines...more of a personal thing IMO, but I like the linerarity the provide to the peddle feedback.
Some high temp fluid as anyone who has boiled off their stock fluid knows, this is NOT a good thing.

These mods make a world of difference on a road track with lots of twisties. For every day and sometime spirited driving, the stock setup is more than up to the task.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have said upgrade the stock pads, lines, and fluid rather than "brakes".

·
Registered
948 Posts
YBNormal07 said:
I should have said upgrade the stock pads, lines, and fluid rather than "brakes".
Not a problem. Just wanted to clarify. I agree with you completely. The stock pads are alright, I sat shotgun in an otherwise stock STI with Performance Friction pads, very good braking ability. Changing to hi-test brake fluid is a good idea. And from what I read, the stainless steel brake lines really help brake feel. The combination of the three should decrease brake fade very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts