ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ive had my 04 for a year now has 27k on it . since i can remember it has been pinging under hard exceleration. I took it into a dealer for this problem they said its not pinging, and they didnt know what the noise was . My car is stock minus the silencer removed. I live in cali so the gas isnt the greatest but i would think the car shouldnt ping. I have confirmed that it is pinging with a friend of mine. It will ping in 1-2-3 gear most common in 2nd . I know there was a problem with the early 04 sti im wondering if my car has the same issue. Can anybody help me out .

Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
sounds like it's pinging to me. take it back to a dealership again man. and do a search for pinging. you'll find more answers there.:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cant find crap , basicaly all i find is people describing it. Yea im gonna go back , Hey what dealer do you rocomend I take it to. I live in Murrieta about 40 mins from san diego. I took it to Norm reeves up here. The guy that was working on my car seemed like he didnt know much , he claimed he has a wrx that he ralies . I was talking about mods with him and I mentioned an uppipe he said he wouldnt recomend getting one without a cat case turbos work off of heat and the cat would make more heat. I was like uhhh ok.

·
Registered
676 Posts
is your car stock? if it is take it to the dealership. which one i don't know, maybe irvine subaru. that's where i got my subaru from. i haven't had any problems with my car, except for the recalls.:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is yours an 04 or 03 ? I have heard something about the ecu on the 04 doesnt switch from closed loop to open loop fast enough . like 4 sec at WOT . Im just wondering if this is a serious problem? Ok well thanks for the info and yea my car is stock . I didnt want to mod it until I got this issue resolved.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i have a 2003 silver wrx fully modded with 32,000 miles on it. it will not go beyond 50,000. i will be getting my motorcycle soon.hehe:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
04subarooooWRX said:
. The guy that was working on my car seemed like he didnt know much , he claimed he has a wrx that he ralies . I was talking about mods with him and I mentioned an uppipe he said he wouldnt recomend getting one without a cat case turbos work off of heat and the cat would make more heat. I was like uhhh ok.

lol, i'd find someone else to work on my car. that guy is waaaaaaay off.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I know exactly what the sound sounds like because my WRX has done it since I bought it. Several others on the board have it as well.

Do you here it all the time??

And

Is it only under hard acceleration or just normal driving??

Mine does it sometimes & only at WOT.

jd

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its under hard aceleration mostly . never does it in 5th or 4th gear 2nd is most common mine does it everyday , not all day but it will happen atleat 1 time daily . I can pretty much make it do it if i want.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ok. If you want to be sure if it is definately pinging or not, next time you fill up, dump 2 gallons of xylene or toluene in your tank. Toluene is cheaper. This will give you a tankfull of 94 octane gas. (this is assuming that you started with 91 octane, if you start with 93, you will end up with 96.) You car definately should not ping. Do a search on xylene/toluene and octane booster. I wouldn't drive around with it pinging, cuz you will eventually lose a piston/rings or something. An engine may be able to stand light detonation for a while, but it will eventually die.

If you don't get anypinging with the xylene/toluene, then keep putting it in every tank until you get the pinging problem solved.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If your having trouble getting the dealer to hear the noise, you have a few options. Try another dealer (chances are they will not notice it either). Write SOA and see how they advise you to look into this problem. Either way, make sure you keep records of every time you bring the car in to have them look at it. If it turns out that down the road, 5k 10k or whatever thousand miles it is, your blow your engine, the fact that you have those documents stating your brought it in for possible pinging which probably caused it to blow should help you in your battle to get it covered under warranty. I'd keep trying if you know for a fact its pinging because that can go on for several thousand miles (even in the tens of thousands of miles) before something drastic happens. Thats how I would handle it.

*Edit

Be aware, if you mod it, you'll cut your chance of warranty down a lot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
04subarooooWRX said:
Ok so ive had my 04 for a year now has 27k on it . since i can remember it has been pinging under hard exceleration. I took it into a dealer for this problem they said its not pinging, and they didnt know what the noise was . My car is stock minus the silencer removed. I live in cali so the gas isnt the greatest but i would think the car shouldnt ping. I have confirmed that it is pinging with a friend of mine. It will ping in 1-2-3 gear most common in 2nd . I know there was a problem with the early 04 sti im wondering if my car has the same issue. Can anybody help me out .

Thanks
I had the same problem with my '02. It was always a problem under hard acceleration even before intake and exhaust mods. I recently bought an XEDE and had it tuned by Shiv at Vishnu. The first comment he made when tuning it was that mine was the first he'd seen where he had to add fuel to rather than reduce the amount of fuel. It runs as smooth as silk now and I have yet to hear it ping. I was also living in California then, down the street from you in Temecula, cursing the 91 RON gas as well.

The dealer in Temecula is not one I would recommend as I had my clutch replaced there and they left all of the mounting bolts loose. A few months later they started falling out. These guys are pretty clueless. Take your Subie to Frank Subaru in Irvine as they are awesome and really know their stuff.

I would also suggest engine management of some sort regardless of what mods you do.

My $.02 :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Like I stated above in this thread I've had this problem since it was new. (it's a 2004)

I am hopefully getting it Ecutech flashed & dyno tuned soon but until then I just cleared the ECU on a empty tank of gas & filled it up with that new Shell 91 & I have han the snot out of it foe the last 4 days with no problems

. So it could of been bad gas of the ECU clearing but either way it seems to be gone for now.

Try that & let me know if any improvement.

jd

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have an 04 wrx with 4600 miles and under WOT i hear a ping noise only at 5000rpm...is that noise the engine pinging or a heat shield etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check the up pipe heat shield mine was all loose !!! My dealer change the whole uppipe under warranty. The sound was very close to pinging :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hot off the press for 2004

OK I have had this stupid ping problem since day one. It's only under hard acceleration, mostly in 2nd & 3rd. gear & between the 4,500-6,000 R.P.M. range.

I just went to the dealer to get my temp control fixed & was telling thetech about my crappy mileage, & abnormal oil consumption(which he thinks my TBE play a part in).

So he sais "do you ever hear a ping at high rpm's???"

I said, why yes I do. Well guess what, Subaru has an updated software for the 2004 WRX.

So they are sending it in for a flash & I should get it back Monday. But since I'll be in Mexico for the next 9 days I'll have to give you an update when I get back.

So if you have a pingin 2004 get it to the dealer for the updated software flash. He did say that he has had almost nobody with this problem so don't worry if you don't here anything. If you're car was pinging you would know it.

jd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts