Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 WRX with 180000 Miles (I know it's a lot) I bought not too long ago. (Almost 2 months now)

Today I drove to work while driving there, my temperature gauge started heating up and getting hotter and hotter, barely hitting the red marker. To help it cool down, I ran the heater and turned it all the way up which helped a little. I thought maybe it was the oil since it was low, So I bought a quart of oil and put it in, thinking this would be a temporary fix.

But as I drove back home from work, it started overheating and when I finally got home. It barely hit the red marker. As i opened my hood, I could hear a boiling noise
Does anyone know what the problem may be? I also noticed that when I bought the car, I refilled the coolant reservoir and it still looks like the exact same amount of coolant in it when I refilled it. Does that have anything to do with it?

· Registered
158 Posts
Well I'm betting as of now, you'll have warped heads. Mine didn't even reach the red mark and the heads were warped when it went. Your thermostat could be stuck or your water pump failed. I personally would have it towed to a shop and have those checked as well as the heads. I'm thinking your engine is at the end of its lifespan but someone with more knowledge can chime in as I'm no expert. But good news is that if you gotta do open heart surgery on your WRX, time to drop in a closed deck 2.5 with forged internals. :)
Shameless plug for my tuner who also sells built engines. I'm actually thinking on getting the "not quite a badger"
Subaru Performance Engine Packages

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update so maybe we can narrow down the problem..
I took out some coolant and came back to see the coolant reservoir was practically empty. So now i know it is being used. I added more and went for a drive, it started overheating again but this time the heater was only blowing cold air and it would start overheating in idle.. Did that narrow the problem down?

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
Stop driving it. Seriously. You run serious risk of very expensive damage if you haven't already caused it.

You could be burning it in the combustion chamber due to a bad head gasket or warped head, you could have air in the lines and there are bubbles preventing circulation and as the air pockets are moved around the coolant in the tank is taking its place, the thermostat could be shot, I believe a bad turbo will also burn coolant, you could have a blockage. There is a lot it could be.

I would start by having a shop pressure test the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna stop driving it. I just ordered a new water pump and thermostat and I'll install it fairly soon. If bad comes to worst and that doesn't fix the problem, I'll get it towed to a shop. I'll update this thread if I find out anything new.

· Registered
163 Posts
Since you're already replacing the water pump and thermostat you could also throw a new sending unit in as well they are cheap so it wouldn't hurt the wallet at all and it could rule out another potential reason for it overheating if it continues to have the problem

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
Some basic diagnosis would be exhaust, burning coolant will give you a white smoke. check for wet spots in the engine bay and below the car. Put cardboard or something under if if you need to to find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. It took a while but the last owner did not do general maintenance. So I had to replace a few things while I was replacing the pump. Two weeks later. I replaced the water pump, Thermostat, and burped the radiator. She is running great. Warms up and stays just above the "C" on the meter. Thanks to everyone who helped me out and gave me tips. :beerchug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.