Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Type1 said:
What do you guys think about the scoobysport muffler? Is there any other company out their that has that much power gain with a sound like that?
I am selling a BPM Mkiii Twister muffler...almost brand new.

If you want pics and sound clips provide me your email via PM

Michael

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could save a ton of money, and just spend $130 on a Supertrapp. IF you were at the Q on Saturday, you would have seen/heard my car at the SCCA event. Most of the SCCA pros use them.

Its cheap
works GREAT
sounds great
is ADJUSTABLE for both noise and hp/tq curves
and is only 5lbs

·
Registered
11 Posts
z3coupe,
i currently am using a GREDDY modified muffler off a miata with a 2 1/4" piping...i wanted to get the SS muffler (cuz i have everything else up, down, mid, rear pipes from SS) but after seeing what you wrote i might look into that...i autox too in the SFRSCCA. currently in the ESP-N section. let me know where i can get one thanks, JOMEL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
z3coupe said:
Could save a ton of money, and just spend $130 on a Supertrapp. IF you were at the Q on Saturday, you would have seen/heard my car at the SCCA event. Most of the SCCA pros use them.

Its cheap
works GREAT
sounds great
is ADJUSTABLE for both noise and hp/tq curves
and is only 5lbs
for a $130 that is an awesome deal...now does it come pre assembled or it needs modification and what size will the piping be? what really gets me is the adjustiblity of noise and hp!!! aslo, what is the product #. JOMEL

·
Registered
11 Posts
z3coupe,
i found more info on the net and is it called the SUPERTRAPP UNIVERSAL INLET RACE ALUM. SILENCER. i need the "2.5 one. it list for more than $130. plus, is it a "THROATY" noise it makes or the loud and annoying high pitched sound. keep me updated on where and how can i get this for my WRX. thanks, JOMEL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is a pic of my buddy Karl's BMW //M Coupe that was "TRAPPed"

And here is the info I posted a long while ago in the BMW Forums:

I got the Supertrapp from
McKenzies Performance
2366 E Orangethorpe
Anaheim, Ca.
Their number is (714)441-1212.
I bought a 4" Trapp with an extra 6 pack of discs (making a total of 18 discs).

Supertrapp part # SPT-443-2517
6 pak # SPT-404-6506

This Trapp is their newest one with a lot of improvements. It has a 2 1/2" ID. The retail is $190, but they sell it for $130.11, and the 6 pak is $10.25 more.

I had the exhaust installed at

Mesa Muffler
2177 Harbor Blvd
Costa Mesa, CA
(949)548-5600

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah the new trapp is stainless the old one rust and the bolts seizea cause my friend had one on his GSR, it sounds deep and not like a big can, I hate the honda big can sound with a passion.

I might give it a shot, since it is not expensive to setup. I can always add disc to cut down the noise :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
WRXrumble said:
I can always add disc to cut down the noise :D
I thought it was the other way around.

z3coupe,
can you show me a picture of your supertrapp on your WRX. IS IT STAINLESS STEEL and will i need it customized to fit my WRX. JOMEL

·
Registered
49 Posts
No guys, you are getting this a bit confused.

0 (ZERO) discs and no end cap is wide open. This is how I run it at AutoX events. And even cat-LESS, I was able to pass the sound meter limits at the San Deigo event (93db). This is also how I drove it daily when I did have cats on my car and it was much quieter.

But out on the street while I am without cats, I use about 18 discs (and endcap) to keep the flow nice, yet keep the noise down to prevent neighbors from complaining, or asking for a cop to pull me over. But what is weird is, that though there is now restriction, it actually feels like it has some nice pep to it better than wide open (this is while cat-less). So perhaps some backpressure is good.

Anyway, when you do use discs on a Supertrapp, it works like this:

The more discs you put on, the less restrictive the flow, and the louder it gets. The exhaust and sound passes through the open space between the discs, so when you put more on, there is more open space for it to flow though.

The fewer discs you put on, the more restrictive and the more quieter it becomes. Giving more backpressure.

What this does, it give you the chance to adjust your HP/TQ curves a bit. 0 discs and you get topend, where in some cases, you have discs on giving some backpressure, and you get lowned power.

By the way, Supertrapp now has a nice selection of endcaps that look pretty sharp!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah I saw then on summit racing catalog, but the price is much higher then the place mentioned earlier. But the catalog let you see what the end cap looks like.

The open endcap, does it allow more flow thus more noisy ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the extra endcap that has the hole in it. Never really tried using it on the WRX, but did on my old Z3 Coupe. Was better off on that car to just either run plenty discs, or wide open.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.