Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
does anyone know what the size of the stock muffler is. I want to buy a magnaflow muffler online but I'am not sure if it's the 5"X8" oval I want or the 5"X11"?? Also does anyone know what the size of the stock exhaust pipe is? Is it a 2.5" diameter or a 2.25"??

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a Magnaflow custom welded to my WRX for awhile. It was the 5x8 (quieter than the 4x9). I didn't know there was a 5x11, but I don't know if that will fit; the TXS magnaflow muf is the 4x9 and the 9" width just fits in the stock muffler location. The biggest thing is to make sure you get the shorter muffler so the curved axel pipe can have enough room to bend - I had the 5x8x14 and it was perfect: the 5 dimension (top to bottom) could have been a lot larger but the 8 (width) and the 14 (lenght) were just right. Anything larger than a 14 wouldn't have fit.

As far as size goes, the stock piping is 2.25", but you don't need to match that when putting on your own custom muffler. Mine was the 3" in dual 2.5"s out. That was unneccessarily big for just an axleback, my suggestion would be to get a 2.5" muf and have 2.5" piping go back to the axleback flange, then have a flange made for it so it will all bolt together. This way if you want to go to a TXS stealthback later you can bolt your custom axleback right up an not have the muffler be a restriction in the exhaust (the stealthback tapers down to 2.5" pipe just before the axleback flange, so they would matchup and flow perfectly). Just my opinion after going through the same thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, I've had the hardest time getting this info from anyone. Seems like people rather pay the rediculous prices then customizing there own performace part, that in my opion will be just as good. So your positive that the stock piping is 2.25"? I've had people telling me that it's 2.5". I'am not second guessing you but my first idea was to get a stock axel back from someone and cut off the stock muffler and add the magnaflow, but if the stock pipe is only 2.25" thats no good. It's a good thing you said that I was ready to pay money for something I didn't want.

Thanks,
Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts