ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I can purchase a set of mud flaps for my STi. I expecially want a set for the front because where I live, they are a little too generous with the salt during the winter. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking for a specific brand; it could be OEM or an after market, anything that will fit on the front and back would be fine by me because they're only for the winter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
subwrxsti said:
I'm not looking for a specific brand; it could be OEM or an after market, anything that will fit on the front and back would be fine by me because they're only for the winter. Thanks again.
I'm using the RS ones. The rears bolt on and the fronts need a lil trimming to fit correctly. Looks nice IMO.

http://www.hostdub.com/albums/Trey_album09/sti_rear.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have yet to do mine. I plan on using some sparco flaps I purchased (the blue matches pretty good) and riveting them to the plastic inner wheel well up front. Will have to cut a bracket for the back to sandwich it between the bracket and finder. You could mount them vertically and provide more paint protection or horizontally and help protect more of the underside. If your going DIY route I suggest making a template out of cardstock. I found some at the local supermarket (in blue even) in the aisle with pens paper and the like. Use tape and see how it looks. Sheet alum can be had at the local hardware store that you can make brackets with. Jig saw it to shape.

Here are some helpfull links
mutflap pattern
DIY Mudflap techniques that can be applied
UK aftermarket flaps
JDM flaps
Urethane flap material in US
PVC flap material in US
UK flaps with brackets
Older flap pattern
Another UK mud flap source
Yet another UK source
Another US source with brackets
Sparco

Good Luck
Scott

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
bump...

has anyone made their own mudflaps and been happy with them? the parts are adding up and it almost seems that it might just make sense to get the ones from rally armor instead... just wondering if there is a cheap solution here for the winter...

bryan

·
Registered
546 Posts
I wish I got mudflaps when I first got my car. In the winter, they drop little pebbles on the road along with the salt, and they get flung up into my paint. I have thousands of little tiny stone chips at the bottoms of my doors, just below the "Subaru Technica International" decals, and again around my rear wheels. It ticks me off.

I still don't have them, but at this point I don't think it's worth it. Most of the flaps I've found on the market are too big for my tastes, but the RS ones don't look bad. I'd probably paint the backs of them to match my car color to conceal them a little more.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
i'm looking in to making some that are a lot like the rally armor ones. i have all the hardware i need and am just waiting for the flap material to arrive. hopefully i'll have these all made up by next weekend and i'll let you all know how it goes.
bryan

·
Registered
101 Posts
finally got to go mudding in the RS... kinda dissapointed how well the rallyarmor flaps kept the mud off my car (mud adds character after all ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Wrinkleboi said:
bump...

has anyone made their own mudflaps and been happy with them? the parts are adding up and it almost seems that it might just make sense to get the ones from rally armor instead... just wondering if there is a cheap solution here for the winter...

bryan
My DIY mudflaps were $15 per pair (pepboys cheapest set) plus about $5 worth of hardware to bolt them on. So for $35 I had a set of mudflaps that hold up great during rallycross events. Many people, even WRX owners commented that they looked either professional or stock. There is really no need to spend $90 on the rally armor ones if you are willing to spend the time to DIY.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
yeah i wanted something as thick and durable as the rally armor ones so i did some research online and found the material for it which should be bulletproof (also really difficult to cut to shape... ha). its actually slightly thicker than the rally armor ones and came out to under $30 for enough material to make a set of 4. i dont want to get ahead of myself but if it turns out really well i might offer to sell them for those looking for a little winter protection for just a slight profit... but we'll see.
bryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts