ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WAS JUST WONDERING WHEN I FIRST GOT MY CAR IT WAS SAYING I WAS GETTING AROUND 24 MPG THEN ABOUT A WEEK LATTER I PUT NEW RIMS ON AND NOW I CANT SEEM TO GET OVER 21 MPG I 18X8 WHEELS AND THERE LIGHTER THEN THE STOCKS ...???????

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
well, could be a few things.....the way you are driving, how wide and sticky the rubber is, how many psi in teh tires...the list goes on.

What else has changed other than wheels going from 17x8 to 18x8? This would include changes to driving styles, and routes you normally travel (have you, for instance, started taking a road with more hills to work?).

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
If you only drove on the stock setup for a week - you don't have a valid measurement to compare against.

That said... 21 seems low for the WRX. That is what I get for my STI.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
If you only drove on the stock setup for a week - you don't have a valid measurement to compare against.

That said... 21 seems low for the WRX. That is what I get for my STI.
See, it all depends on how you drive, where you drive, and how much weight is in the car.

I normally am between 18 and 20 mpg, but I drive about 95% city miles, accelerate hard, live where there are lots of hills, and I weigh a lot, so my numbers are low.

If I am able to run all highway miles, at constant speed and relatively flat ground I cat get about 28-30 mpg without issue

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All I have engine wise is q300 cbe

And I put that on right when I got the car I drove it for 4 days before getting the rims mostly highway 70-80 mph yes there are hills ..but I was staying around 26mpg ..I got the rims and took a rode trip to Kansas 200+ miles each way and I only got about 22 mpg and I wasn't driving hard now that's it's broke in I do give it alittle more gas but again I drive mostly on the highway no traffic ..was just wondering if I should be worried or just give it time

Current miles. 1300
225/40/18 falken tires

I did have some problems with my tires they had to replace 3 or them but the mpg hasn't changed

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drive about 15 mile each way to work all open highway ...and my only concern was why has it changed so much and should I be worried this is my first Subaru

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I'm cornfuzzeled.....why would you go from 235/45/17 to 225/40/18? What is the reason for going to the skinnier tire?

As for your current mileage, ~21mpg is roughly about average depending on driving style and what not. Take a quick scan through the 2011mpg thread, the '11-'12 are the same., and most people were getting in the lower 20's

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks ...i was just double checking

The tires I went with the 225/40/18 .....not really sure why I went 225 ...the guy at discount told be that's what was recommended ...I should have asked more ? Dumb noob mistake

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Yeah, for some odd reason DiscountTireDirect does not have the correct OEM size for '11-'12 WRX, not real sure why. I think they are going off of previous years., though 225/40-18 and 235/45-17 are almost the same circumference (about .9% difference) so that is likely why they gave that size....to keep your speedo near correct.

235/45-17 has 796 revs per mile

225/40-18 has 804 revs per mile.

The change in revs per mile could account for a small portion of your mileage change.

Additionally, 225 is about as skinny as I would go on an 8" wide wheel...any smaller would start looking 'hellafrush'.

Your car came with 235, so when those Falkens run out, get atleast 235 replacements....maybe even 245s

235/40-18 has 794 revs per mile (.3% off stock) which is closer to stock than what DTD sold you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been having problems with the tires ...for some reason they just won't balence out right at 75-85 I get a slight vibration not bad but enough to notice ....they replaced 3 tires but the guy said if I'm still not happy I can return all the tires within 30 days and pick out something else so I might just take them up on there offer

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I have run Falken in the past with no issues.....that being said...

Since you have been having troubles with them, and they should be wider, and they will give you a full credit to change them out.....I would change them, if it were me.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I have run Falken in the past with no issues.....that being said...

Since you have been having troubles with them, and they should be wider, and they will give you a full credit to change them out.....I would change them, if it were me.
Demon has the answer. The trade-out-and-up option is the way to go.

I've dealt with Discount Tire and Tire Rack in the past. The Tire Rack only if I'm looking for something exotic that Discount doesn't offer. The 30-day guaranty from discount (and the free rotations/balance) really tip the scale for me, which is why Discount is the option I most often choose.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i think im going to do i have to send back the first 3 problem tires first then wait to get credit then call them back and complain some more ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got 4k miles on my 2012, average 20.5mpg. Day-to-day I'm 100% city driving, with a few long trips worked in there. The mileage you're getting sounds just about right to me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you turn on the trip while on the HWY after 10 or so miles you should be around 25-27 MPG if you cruise at about 65-70 MPH. Once you start slowing down and hitting lights, city driving you will see low 20's high teens. Usually the caps lock being off gives you a 1-2 MPGs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i ordered the 235-40 18 bfg sport comp 2's sending back my falkens ..almost went 245 but just stock with the 235 next time i will go alittle crazyer....i have talked to acouple owners locally and they all told me that after about 3000 miles my mpg should go up alittle but we will see

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I have about 4700 miles on my 12'. I drive about 50/50 city and highway and I get about 24 mpg. Lately I ve been driving a little harder and it looks like about 22-23 mpg now. Stock wheels. Would the weather factor in too?? I live in fl it's been on average 70 in morning and upper 80 in afternoon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts