ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I'm going to be moving from Central NewJersey to Southern California. My major hurdle at the moment is do I drive the 3xxx miles or get a car carrier of some sort. I don't plan on bringing a lot with me for the move in general. TV,computer,clothes etc. Only mental "road block" is since getting the car 1/11/11 and only having 4500 miles on the car do I really want to double the mileage on 1 trip/move.

Any advice at all will help car wise or move wise :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Personally I would use a carrier or something but thats just me. I just can't imagine putting that many miles at once on a trip like that. I'm sure the drive would be fun but idk if I would wanna do it in my new car ha.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
This is a math question. Run the numbers and decide according to the $.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Kronos it will be in about a month or so when all the family things are resolved. I'll have to call you soon. Judging by my current mpg its about the same tanks of gas/carrier and a flight. Driving it is getting more and more tempting so many things to see and you know I'd be trying to find some of those Man vs Food stops along my way hah.
Thanks for the input so far guys

·
Registered
85 Posts
I drove my 2002 from Michigan to Oregon loaded up with all my stuff. Then one month later flew back to drive my wife two dogs and a cat in our 2005 outback. It was an adventure for sure. One thing to keep in mind that the winter season is upon the West so make sure your route will not take you over heavy snow areas. The WRX is all wheel drive and will handle fine in a bit of snow but if they get enough snow in the mountains they shut down the passes.

Also if you drive look into getting a bra for the front of your car you don't want all the rock chips in the paint.

Happy trails!

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Drive it!

When you look into the price of a Uhaul, you'll find it'll be less than 1/2 the price just to drive the subi.

To give you an idea, the last Uhaul I rented for the truck was $19.99 a day plus $1.31 per mile. Then you'll need a car hauler which usually rent for $80 a day. Then on top of all that, the uhaul gets 10mpg.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good call with the bra. Didn't have that written down :) I looked at U-haul prices and the car carrier, and yes it is pricey. Even with my heavy foot gas would be cheaper. As far as heavy snow areas I have some things I need to square away before i make the trip/move so chances are it might not happen until the snow is melting. I am hoping for a month, I've already put this off for some time. BUT gotta leave when the time is right.

Thanks for all the quick responses and input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So did you decide to make the drive? I am making a cross country move in the spring. I am relocating for my job so I will also be going from New Jersey to California. I am going to let the movers do the moving, and me and my wife will make the trip and site see along the way. I will probably make it a week long trip and visit friends on the way as well. I tossed the idea around about having a New Jersey moving company transport the car, and I would rather just have a great road trip.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys and yes I'm going to drive it Leaving March 1st. Also guess I should have mentioned somewhere its stage 1 with intake and bushings of goodness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That should be a fun drive. I'd love to do it some time.

If you have a friend willing, ask them to join you. I've enjoyed my road trips with friends. They then could just fly home.

Some of my friends that had done cross country drives like that mounted a camera in their car taking a time lapse of their drives. Might be something cool to consider.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
When I was younger I would have chose the drive in a heartbeat. Now after over 15 years of a long commute, I'd be on a plane.

Where are you going in CA? Anywhere really should be a step up from South Plainfield.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
That should be a fun drive. I'd love to do it some time.

If you have a friend willing, ask them to join you. I've enjoyed my road trips with friends. They then could just fly home.

Some of my friends that had done cross country drives like that mounted a camera in their car taking a time lapse of their drives. Might be something cool to consider.
My buddy and I once drove the entire PA turnpike with a small cam on the dash, then sped it up and condensed it into something around 10 minutes. It was cool to watch, but probably only for us haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts