ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 STi and was wonderong if anyone had used Motorkote in the engine and if its worth it? Have never used before but was recommended to me.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
I haven't used motorkote specifically but I've used other products that have made similar claims. I don't think there will be adverse effects, but I wouldn't say for sure they are a great benefit. My 2001 xj went for a couple hundred thousand miles and I used it regularly. Different engine, different results maybe.

In general i try and avoid things like that, but I've used them in the past. My brother's ram lived on Lucas oil stabilizer and that bastard went the distance against all odds as well. 175k miles, occasional oil change, perpetually low oil, and hard driving. I won't say it was the Lucas stabilizer as I'm a tool maker not a chemical engineer, but I've got a little faith in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't used motorkote specifically but I've used other products that have made similar claims. I don't think there will be adverse effects, but I wouldn't say for sure they are a great benefit. My 2001 xj went for a couple hundred thousand miles and I used it regularly. Different engine, different results maybe.

In general i try and avoid things like that, but I've used them in the past. My brother's ram lived on Lucas oil stabilizer and that bastard went the distance against all odds as well. 175k miles, occasional oil change, perpetually low oil, and hard driving. I won't say it was the Lucas stabilizer as I'm a tool maker not a chemical engineer, but I've got a little faith in it.
Thanks that helps. The reason I ask is I am in the process of making the ej more reliable. Since at 23000 miles stock motor it bent a rod. I didn't drive it that hard either as it was new. Now has a new motor just passed the break in period and id rather not replace it again. Have Eagle rods and pistons coming but was looking for other things to help as well.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
I'd hit up Bob is the oil guy and see what they say and recommend. If it's engine lubrication and additive questions they have likely covered it as simply or as in-depth as you could want.

A bent rod on an ej is quite uncommon. It's usually the piston ringlands or bearings.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,063 Posts
I went to their website.

They want the user to email them for an MSDS!

I find that insulting, and it raises significant questions about ethics. Plus, what disclosure are they avoiding?

I’d not buy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to their website.

They want the user to email them for an MSDS!

I find that insulting, and it raises significant questions about ethics. Plus, what disclosure are they avoiding?

I’d not buy.
Definitely sounds shady will have to research further. Any other suggestions for motor longevity besides the pistons and rods which are on the way? First time doing it all myself don't mess with motors very often more of a fabricator. Though I have taken apart quite a few ej's so any installations shouldnt be an issue.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
I can give you my opinions. You are free to do with them as you will.

By large nobody makes a better ej than Subaru. If you are after stock reliability a factory ej is the way to go. This holds true even up to moderate power levels. There is a point where pistons, rods, closed deck, builds are superior, however at that point reliability isn't about mileage as much as it's about not exploding under power.

With forged eternals you have different expansion rates than the factory specifies, this means clearances are larger for the piston to wall and ring gaps may be different. The advantage is they don't seize under high pressures and temps, at the cost of blowby while cold and cylinder wall wear from piston slap. This has the adverse of oil blowby at low temps and loss of oil volume.

The only tried and true method of longevity is care and careful driving. I wish I could say there was a bullet proof build for general purpose, however I've yet to see one. Generally the more built the block the shorter the overall life.

If you are going for some power I would contact a performance shop near you that works on them. They will be the ones that will have to handle the tuning and can tell you what responds best to the power levels you are targeting. For example my 2011 I was recommended to start considering a shortblock at 350whp on their dyno. My stock wrx was about 200, and with the work I had done was about 260.

This can be an expensive endeavor as the ej isn't known to be forgiving and long lived when thrashed or modified. What are your power goals and maybe we could better help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Somewhat conservative would like to be around 450 wheel in the future. From what I gather that wont be achievable safely with the stock block. I do plan on racing at Gingerman (local road course) so I already have a lot to do such as steel braided lines n such. Money is no issue whatever it takes to make it as strong as possible preferably over whats necessary. For now it will remain stock until I have all the pieces to make it essentially a street legal race car. Which luckily I am in Michigan so most mods are perfectly legal.

·
29,063 Posts
I'm with XJ on this one.

The best builder of Subaru engines, globally, with a massive gap in quality to second place, is Subaru.

They have the most resources, the most experience, and the best infrastructure.

Nobody else could hold a candle.

If you have lots of money, then it's a different game -- but reliability and modifications generally don't go together.

Call anyone that's not Subaru and ask them for a 60k mile warranty extendable to 100k with a service plan. If you listen closely you'll hear a "click" before they hang up. Most informative click in history.

If you want a race car then OK -- just build it to the book and have a spare ready to drop in, minimally, like most people do who race. But the stock Subaru off the lot will likely outlive it.

I've suggested to others that instead of making their cars faster they leave home a little earlier. That's what I've done.

As for additives, most marques explicitly advise against them. I've yet to see data that are reproducible and support a liquid treating mechanical faults. I'd love it if one worked though!

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Somewhat conservative would like to be around 450 wheel in the future. From what I gather that wont be achievable safely with the stock block. I do plan on racing at Gingerman (local road course) so I already have a lot to do such as steel braided lines n such. Money is no issue whatever it takes to make it as strong as possible preferably over whats necessary. For now it will remain stock until I have all the pieces to make it essentially a street legal race car. Which luckily I am in Michigan so most mods are perfectly legal.
If you are racing in a class check with the rules and regulations. 450whp moves you into a range where longevity goes from 100k miles to 10k, or less in some cases. That's a crap load of power for the ej.

I would absolutely work with an engine builder and get a plan in order for an upgrade path that will keep you in a streetable setup until you are ready to make it a driveway trophy.

·
29,063 Posts
You're probably better off buying a ready built car from someone who had a decent last season in whatever series interests you. It'll come with a log book and spares. It'll probably be cheaper in raw cost and take up less of your time, plus your existing car will remain in one piece.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shit hate to do it but may have to ditch the ej then. Talked to Subaru race shop it is possible but would cost a fortune to the point not worth it. I have a slightly modified 1jz just sitting on a stand for a future drift build going to look into that swap. Know someone with a 2015 STi with that swap a lot of work and fabrication but would definitely do the trick. Be sad to lose that beautiful rumble though. Thanks for the help and suggestions much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Just going out on a limb here but maybe the sti wasn't the right choice for your use.

High power 4 cylinders and reliability don't go together regardless of brand. I've seen everything from evos and eclipses, to Subarus and focus rs/St blown up. When a company designs an engine everything from the cylinder spacing to the physical block design is really geared towards it's targeted power range. When you get outside of that it goes south quickly.

With the money you are investing I would suggest a Camaro SS or similar. Monstrous track cars and a beast to drive around town. Arguably more reliable than the STI any way you cut it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts