Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post in NASICO forum about the new Motor Trend Mag.

Supposely it has the EVO running
4.59 sec 0-60mph
13.08 @ 105 mph 1/4 mile

The STi ran
4.87 sec 0-60mph
13.23 @ 104 mph 1/4 mile

I have no idea what they did to that EVO - maybe up the boost? - to get it to run a 105mph trap speed. Thats higher than most the EVO7s with more HP and less weight.

But one thing is for sure - both cars are very fast. I don't think anyone will be unhappy with a 13.2 @ 104mph run in a stock STi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
so why was the STi slower inthe 60? was it because of shifting to 3rd? If so I wonder how quick some tuner is gonna up the rev limiter so they can do 0-60 in two gears. still fast though!
Nigel<><

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's weird how far off Motor Trend's numbers are from Autoweek's for the Evo.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MT's acceleration numbers have pretty much been discredited they do not agree with anyone elses out there, even the people at evolutionm.net dont believe it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
no way evo is faster 0-60 or 1/4 mile than Sti.. everyone does agree that Evo is harsher riding but better handling..

·
Registered
129 Posts
times & speeds...

really makes you wonder if they did not over/under rate the cars from the factory? why else would the EVO be that close to the STI? and all these different times are a big queston also.. why so many differences? the cars should not have that much, just looking at the times between motor trend and auto week makes you go hummmmmm:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe Autoweek's numbers are suspect. The evo runs 18.x lbs of boost from the factory- it is an old-stanby DSM engine 4G63. I wonder if the factory power ratings for the Evo are accurate.

At the track yesterday got a chance to see and run against an Evo- with 1,000 miles on it. Talked to the owner alot. First- it is a very nice car for $30,000. Not killing it he ran a 13.6- it was fairly cold at the track (its fun to watch the Mustangs slip/slide on their Z tires in 45-50 degrees:)

I did get to run against him twice I think. unfair comparison as I run a vf24 w/ other mods (like the drag unfriendly anti-lift kit :). Anyway, I believe the Evo is good for the low 13's. Evo- the British magazine has alot of road tests the Evo models and these things go fast.

BTW- I did pull away slighlty from the Evo yesterday after the 1/8 mark. After a 2.23 second 60'- still managed to trap 101.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thats nice and all but Is2scooby does not have an sti that is a stage 4 wrx time that you are qouting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ouch, Punk'd!

ya, I understand it's 14.5 lbs of boost, you can check out a ton of stuff on the USDM STi from the guys in Hawaii that have 'em already. See my previous link, but beware, THIS IS NOT AN STI TIME!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was very surprised to read that article in MT. I was so excited to read how the new STi would punish the EVO, and then I saw the numbers. Wow. One thing to keep in mind, the comparison made between the STi and the EVO took place at different times, under different conditions, and at different tracks. Even MT admitted this, saying the track the EVO was tested on was a lot stickier. I think once they go head to head under the same conditions that the STi will come out on top. You gotta give it up for the drivers at MT. They pulled some incredible numbers out of the EVO's ass. One thing I thought was hillarious is how just a few pages after the STi review there was an ad for the EVO claiming its 0-60 at 5.1 sec. They should have talked to MT before they made that ad!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Hawaii STi pulled a 12.9

Daytona said:
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17626

I haven't seen 12.91 timeslips for EVO's yet, I understand they run mid to low 13's.

Believe it or not most the EVO's are running high 13s and low 14s at the track. I talked to 2 different people at 2 different tracks and they both said they were struggling to get out of the 14s.

As mentioned by others. You can go to EVO web sites and the owners will agree that the times MT got out of that EVO aren't representitive of the EVO. The majority of the EVO owners believe the car was a ringer most likely running more boost than stock.

Other mags have run as slow as 14.1 @ 97mph in the EVO8

Time will tell. It will soon become common knowledge what a real 1/4 mile time for the EVO is. From what I've seen its in the mid 13s to low 14s depending on driver skill.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I saw an Evo run a 13.6 last Saturday. regrdless of what MT/others say....it is a fast car....as is the WRX. Again, the EVO runs 18.8 or .9 lbs. boost from the factory. The Sti runs 14.5 lbs. Either way, these are 2 very fast cars.

One other thing. MT and other magazines have talked about the "totality" of the driving experience. The parts add up to be greater than the sum, as one writer said about the Sti. I put it in perspective this way. My modded WRX can likley take a Carerra in a 1/4 mile run. Which is a better driving experinece on the whole. I'll take the Carrera, which is no way a slight to my WRX.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Let me quote directly from MT for you people out there:

"Comparisons to the Mitsubishi Evolution are inevitiable, and we're happy to make them, with these caveats: Although we tested both with the same driver and timing gear, we believe the surface on which we ran the Evo to be slightly grippier. This won't affect acceleration (these are AWD cars, so little wheelslip is involved), but would give the Mitsubishi a handling and braking advantage. Also, out STi was a barely broken-in, preproduction model. So, while these neumbers are highly representative--and amazingly close--thy're not 100 percent like-kind. A pure apples-to-apples comparo is in the works."

(p49, MT)

Hope this clears up any confusion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you all seen car and drivers Sti Vs Evo article. There times were more realistic 13.8 for the Evo and 13.2 for the Sti!! Sucks though because the Evo wins the shootout!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
How can cheapness win out?

Evo seems to win solely based on the fact that it's msrp is 3500 less, but almost all suffer varying levels of dealer markup so that reason is insane. If the mags value a few K so dearly, then I'd expect them to place the Neon over everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts