ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else notice that Motor Trend always seems to favor Mitsubishi's while Car and Driver tends to favor Subarus? I was at the book store today and I was flipping through each of the magazines and the times they listed for the EVO and STi etc were quite different. I don't remember the exact numbers but it seemed obvious that the stats were somewhat biased.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily call it bias towards the car... rather, their driving preferences shade their reviews, opinions, etc. In every review I've read the reviewer has mentioned that the Subaru is more powerful yet less refined, and that the Evo handles like a go-kart...

-snowcat

·
Registered
500 Posts
They are bias and suck! Top Gear is bias and sucks too! hahaha, just kiddin, i dont really care, i love my rex :D

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
those guys aren't so bad. may be just a matter of how they tested, what they tested for, and their own preference.
You want to talk biased, read one of them SuperStreets (No longer in my reading list).. seems that whatever product got the most advertising, is the one that gets all the praise :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Road & Track is the best automotive mag out there. And those numbers are based on their personal drivers, that's why you get different numbers. It would be just like if you and me drove two different cars... we'd get different times.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They are both biased and both s**t rags imo. That's why I only buy Evo magazine they don't b.s. and rate all kinds of cars that we can only dream about in North America.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That's the appeal of a lot of car magazines. And have you ever READ Car & Driver? They test like every car that hits the market, including pickups and SUVs. A magazine like R&T only does performance cars, that's their niche. Don't make nasty comments if you can't support them.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I wouldn't care what any magazine says about a car..........as long as you love your baby like i love my "stanger" , my name of my rex, its all that matters!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
WRXout said:
I wouldn't care what any magazine says about a car..........as long as you love your baby like i love my "stanger" , my name of my rex, its all that matters!
Interesting name. Any story behind it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
we are all bias. we are human beings. if the evo is superior, then everybody would buy the evo and same goes for the wrx. car magazines are there to entertain us. just like movie critics. thats why we have choices.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Blue2004WRX said:
Interesting name. Any story behind it?
WILL stang is someting i startedin highschool, we would say "stang" as a word to describe anything , like hey i stanged my girlfriend........you see someone in the hall you go STANG!.........it started with me then got spread to 1,000 kids........even garret from worldone says it as you can see by my sig :p.....

therfore i am the stang master, my car is the stanger and everyone else is stang

hoss: whens something hoss something is really pimp

which brought the word stang hoss stanger...........im weird but its funny to me :D

i never new stang meant for mustang........

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mustang was my first thought. I know what you mean though by the inside jokes meaning something.

With my group of friends, whenever someone pisses you off, they're a tourist.`

·
Registered
199 Posts
In reality, EVERY car magazine in biased in some way toward some car manufacturer. I think it's a bit much to say that MT is biased toward the Evo; they praised its handling and rated it a notch above the STi's, just like virtually every other magazine has (performance-wise, since they all agree that the STi is more comfortable for daily driving). Sure, they've given it more publicity and attention than the STi and they churned out a 13.08-second ET, a bit better than what they accomplished with the more powerful STi (even though they explained that they tested it on a really good track that tends to produce good times), remember how much they loved the WRX when it first came out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Blue2004WRX said:
Do you have ANY basis to say that on?
Well just like express_wagon said, we're all human and biased as a result. From my own experience and observations over the past ten years of subscriptions to various car magazines (Motor Trend, Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile, Autoweek), I've noticed how a few magazines are always inclined to favor an unlikely winner while offer odd rationalizations for their choices. Granted everyone--writers included--can have their opinion, we can all agree that some magazines have had car comparisons and picked a car that you couldn't view as a winner.

Off the top of my head, I recall Car & Driver making questionable choices. Some time in the mid- to late-90s (it sounds like it was so long ago), they had a test to determine the "best handling car," and they chose the 240 hp BMW M3 over a bunch of cars that included some exotics. I've never driven that car and I'm sure that it handles really well, but I couldn't picture it "winning" especially when other cars in the comparison put out better handling numbers. And in a later issue where they compared three convertibles (a Corvette, a Boxter, and another car I can't remember), they put the Corvette in 3rd and the Boxter in 1st. I guess that's their opinion and they gave their reasons (the 'Vette is "too difficult to park" while the Boxter "has two trunks"), I didn't really believe that practicality should've played such a big role, since convertibles themselves aren't practical. When a magazine credits certain cars for odd strengths while other competing cars are clearly more capable where it counts in the subject being compared, one has to raise an eyebrow and consider a bias in the mix, much like if a teacher's child is one of her students and that student always gets the highest grades while his/her peers know that that student never studies.

Sorry for the long post. Blame it on the energy drinks.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
skidpad results aren't the only things to take into consideration with handling.

and the reason car magazines sometimes differ in their suggestions is that they are trying to taper to their reader niche.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts