ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not a tuner guy but i could really use some help from you guys..
Heres the deal... My son has a 2.0 avcs and it went out..idk exactly whats wrong with it but it sounds like a push rod ...anyway he drove it afterward till it quite...the motor in the car is avcs equipped, the motor that we ordered and is now in the shop is NON avcs... Can i just install and run or can i use the avcs parts on the other motor?

·
Æternum
20,420 Posts
No.

Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,827 Posts
Assuming you saying 2.0, you mean a 02-05 wrx? In which case you are correct, it is equipped with single avcs ONLY IN MARKETS THAT ARE NOT THE USA.

Meaning you cant just install and run the new motor you bought without.

·
Æternum
20,420 Posts
Assuming you saying 2.0, you mean a 02-05 wrx? In which case you are correct, it is equipped with single avcs ONLY IN MARKETS THAT ARE NOT THE USA.

Meaning you cant just install and run the new motor you bought without.
you were just so wrong that I had to edit your post.

OP's IP address is showing Utah, so I just had to ask. It's one of the following situations:

1. OP is in extra-national market and using a VPN/proxy
2. The motor that failed in OP's son's car is NOT the original engine and is an engine from another market
3. The motor that failed in OP's son's car is the OEM engine and that OP is not aware that the failed engine does not have AVCS

The 2002-2005 EJ205 in the USDM WRX is not equipped with Variable Valve Timing of any sort. I can't imagine that it's (1.) because why would you choose to VPN into Utah from overseas? In all likelihood the engine in the shop is the correct engine.

·
BooSTIng
2,827 Posts
you were just so wrong that I had to edit your post.

OP's IP address is showing Utah, so I just had to ask. It's one of the following situations:

1. OP is in extra-national market and using a VPN/proxy
2. The motor that failed in OP's son's car is NOT the original engine and is an engine from another market
3. The motor that failed in OP's son's car is the OEM engine and that OP is not aware that the failed engine does not have AVCS

The 2002-2005 EJ205 in the USDM WRX is not equipped with Variable Valve Timing of any sort. I can't imagine that it's (1.) because why would you choose to VPN into Utah from overseas? In all likelihood the engine in the shop is the correct engine.
Good catch @zax. I do stand corrected. I had to double check myself. The 04-07 STi have single avcs, the wrx did not have avcs until 06 when the 2.5 was introduced into the wrx line. The STi went to dual avcs in 2008 to present.

Disregard everything I said lol. Listen to Zax.

·
Æternum
20,420 Posts
Good catch @zax. I do stand corrected. I had to double check myself. The 04-07 STi have single avcs, the wrx did not have avcs until 06 when the 2.5 was introduced into the wrx line. The USDM STi went to dual avcs in 2008 to present.
:thumbup:

·
BooSTIng
2,827 Posts
So now I think the better question is, what engine was in this car that has avcs and is a 2.0L??? A jdm engine swap from prior owner possibly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts