Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the boxer motors interference styl motors? i was told by mech. that motor is locked up but im hoping i threw a timming belt and maybe bent a valve which is jamming a piston making it seem like it is locked up but not completely trash. they want $720 just to tear apart but i am not going to pay that if it is something i can do myself. would rather rebuild than replace. anybody had simmilar situation or know if motor is an interference style or not?

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
are the boxer motors interference styl motors? i was told by mech. that motor is locked up but im hoping i threw a timming belt and maybe bent a valve which is jamming a piston making it seem like it is locked up but not completely trash. they want $720 just to tear apart but i am not going to pay that if it is something i can do myself. would rather rebuild than replace. anybody had simmilar situation or know if motor is an interference style or not?
The motor is interference, but normally won't lock up if the belt breaks and the valves hit. Usually it will just barely bend 8 valves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, what about when the car dies without knocking or loud thump and no warning lights, then when tried to restart it sounds like the starter or flywheel is spinning? no engine cranking just spinning noise

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
thanks, what about when the car dies without knocking or loud thump and no warning lights, then when tried to restart it sounds like the starter or flywheel is spinning? no engine cranking just spinning noise
It's hard to diagnose a car over the internet. I'd say it needs to be torn down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts