ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the search for this already and i got bits and pieces of info, which i can make sense of, but still not to an absolute certainty. So, i thought of posting just to confirm my understanding...

I just got a 2008 wrx and i was wondering what the most practical bolt-on mods i need to the 2008 wrx to match the whp numbers of the newer 2009 wrx.

Is the mod guide _THE_ WRX Modification Guide *Complete* - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums applicable for all wrx year models?

In that guide, do i just need to perform mods A to D to match the 2009 wrx?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Excerpt from the modification guide link above:
-------------------------------------
I lot of people have asked for my recommended order of upgrades and mods. For now I am just compiling a list for engine performance. For more details on any step please view the specific section for the upgrade.

A. Exhaust ([catless]Downpipe, Midpipe, Muffler, and [catless]Uppipe) +10 HP
B. Turbo Timer +Save Your Turbo HP
C. Gauges (EGT, AFR, and Boost at the minimum) +Save Your Engine HP
D. Engine Management (Timing, Fuel, Boost) +40-60 HP
E. Fuel System Upgrade (Injectors, Pump, Rail, Regulator, and Plugs) +10 HP
F. Intake +5 HP
G. Clutch and Flywheel +Needed To Handle Next 2 Upgrades
H. Intercooler +20-30 HP
I. Turbo +40-150 HP

That is just a quick overview of what order mods should be done (IMO) to safely increase power in your WRX. These mods should not be done hastily or without care, and are listed in simple order just for an overview.
-------------------------------------------------

Are B & C also necessary? It's been skipped in this turbo upgrade path: http://subaruclub.ph/forum/index.php?topic=14595.0

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
That mod path is rather inflated compared to what most people here would consider necessary.

A turbo timer is a complete waste of time and is not recommended.

A boost gauge is entertaining and useful. AFR only if you plan to tune your self. EGT - not necessary.

Fuels rails and regulator - not necessary

Clutch and flywheel - not needed, possibly a bad idea.

Just do your exhaust and get engine management.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
thanks for the replies!

that makes the upgrade path described here: SpeedLab Turbo Subarus Upgrade Path
sound just right then.
God no.

I don't see a single thing on that page I would buy. Get Cobb or opensource for engine management. Get an downpipe with a hi-flo cat (e.g. invidia). Do not get headers etc. If the stage II map you are planning to use supports an intake, then use that exact intake. Or skip the intake. If the stage II map you plan to use supports a boost control solenoid, get that exact boost control solenoid (e.g. grimmspeed). Or skip that too. Get a catback to match the DP flange and that you like the sound of (also really optional).

Do not get that unichip crap

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/134325261-first-modifications-what-do-not-do.html

PM Kronos above, he can set you up.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Good mods are stage 2, a DP, exhaust and a tune

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
God no.

I don't see a single thing on that page I would buy. Get Cobb or opensource for engine management. Get an downpipe with a hi-flo cat (e.g. invidia). Do not get headers etc. If the stage II map you are planning to use supports an intake, then use that exact intake. Or skip the intake. If the stage II map you plan to use supports a boost control solenoid, get that exact boost control solenoid (e.g. grimmspeed). Or skip that too. Get a catback to match the DP flange and that you like the sound of (also really optional).
so, excluding all the optionals (i don't really like loud noises), i really just need an invidia hi-flo cat downpipe, and a cobb engine management. is this correct?
(end goal is really just to match 2009 wrx's on the straights)

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
so, excluding all the optionals (i don't really like loud noises), i really just need an invidia hi-flo cat downpipe, and a cobb engine management. is this correct?
(end goal is really just to match 2009 wrx's on the straights)
Yeah thatll be fine and its a nice power increase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 3" stainless invdia Bellmouth downpipe full custom 3" exhaust with magnaflow muffler and hks uppipe thats all bolt on that will help you for 2008 wrx 2.5
on car 2 month's
For 5 door

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so, i had a tune already after installing an invidia high flow catted downpipe. i also got tein superstreet coilovers, which improved handling quite a lot over the rather soft stock suspensions.

what's next?

a couple of 2nd hand stock 2011 sti tmic, air pump, fuel pump, vf48 turbo are turning up for sale at good prices here where i'm from. are these bolt-ons on an 08wrx?
also, how much better (in terms of weight and stopping power) are big brake kits over stock brakes? would there be any improvement if i only replace the rotors with larger ones (like this: http://www.speedlab.com.ph/index.php...t/view/233/209 ) but keep the calipers stock?

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
larger 350mm rotors with stock calipers - would this improve braking power?
No. It would decrease brake fade. You're not going to notice the difference in how fast your lock up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drive a 2008 WRX. So far i have a Perrrin TBE, Perrin Cold air intake, Boost controller and gauge to dial in the boost. Tein coilovers and over sized brakes as well. I have a set of UEL agency power headers and turbo XS up pipe that are going on this week. My friend owns a shop in PA and will street tune my car once the headers are on. Been reading alot about the headers and some say good some say no good. I guess ill be the judge.

Next will be the turbo, intercooler, and fuel system. Just had a baby so wife put me on hold.

I've driven both 2009 WRX and STI, and to be honest my car feels more aggressive. we have never raced so i can't say faster....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I drive a 2008 WRX. So far i have a Perrrin TBE, Perrin Cold air intake, Boost controller and gauge to dial in the boost. Tein coilovers and over sized brakes as well. I have a set of UEL agency power headers and turbo XS up pipe that are going on this week. My friend owns a shop in PA and will street tune my car once the headers are on. Been reading alot about the headers and some say good some say no good. I guess ill be the judge.

Next will be the turbo, intercooler, and fuel system. Just had a baby so wife put me on hold.

I've driven both 2009 WRX and STI, and to be honest my car feels more aggressive. we have never raced so i can't say faster....
:blah2:

So your at stage 2 now OP? You should hang with a stock 09 wrx if you can drive. New sway bars and end links make a nice difference you notice everyday, same with a quality STS. Honestly your car brakes pretty well as is, are you planning on doing auto X or circuit racing?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I agree with all that mention stageII. Downpipe, good tune will put you with if not a touch over the power of a FACTORY 09-12 car.

That said, if you want the actual performance and abilities of the later cars you're going to have to go to the later VF52 or VF48 ..

best thing to do before getting all caught up in mod this and mod that is answer this for yourself

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR CAR? :D

sounds simple but it really is the key to all the changes you'll make to get what you want. You must first know what you want. If its just to get to factory 09+ power levels than stageII will set you straight. If you want more, a turbo upgrade is necessary. That might also include fuel pump, injectors.. and another tune to match the installed upgrades.

So, before we get too carried away.. what is it you wanna do with your ride?

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
Again, Shawn, the VF48 will NOT bolt onto a 2008 WRX.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts