ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder and its inspiration.
By BOB GRITZINGER

Porsche will reach back to the 1960 12 Hours of Sebring-winning Type 718 RS 60 Spyder race car for design and performance cues for a special-edition Boxster S set for its North American debut at the New York auto show in March.

Dubbed the Boxster RS 60 Spyder, the 2008 model evokes the stance and style of the historic mid-engine two-seat race car driven to victory at Sebring by Hans Herrmann and Olivier Gendebien.

The special model comes exclusively in GT silver metallic paint, with its front end taken from Porsche's SportDesign Package. The car's stance is widened with the addition of spacer plates that move the 19-inch wheels out in the wheel arches.

A freer-flowing exhaust system helps bump output from the 3.4-liter boxer six-cylinder by 8 hp to 303 hp. Porsche Active Suspension Management is standard.

A choice of a red leather interior with red convertible top or dark gray interior with black top is offered. Other interior cues point up the Sebring heritage: RS 60-inscribed stainless-steel sill guards, a race-inspired gearshift lever and GT Silver Metallic instruments.

Porsche will build 1960 copies of the Boxster RS 60 Spyder worldwide, with less than 800 of those coming to North America. The car goes on sale in Canada early next spring for $81,900; no U.S. on-sale date or pricing have been released.

This article was last updated on: 11/27/07, 12:50 et
WHAT IS AN ARTICLE REVIEW?
Reviews Summary (Powered by PowerReviews.com)

Be the first! Write a Review

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
So bigger wheels, wheel spacers, a new front end, and a red interior brings it to 81K. :screwy: I like it but for 81K you could get a cayman s, but I suppose its more about the exclusivity than anything else.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
We do not need any special editions of the ugliest car you offer...but thanks for trying.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is such an elitist type car. Obviously not targeted to performance oriented individuals.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
It's just another way to get money by making a special collector edition of the car. It's like Porsche's version of those ridiculous pace car corvettes.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
I remember seeing the 911 Speedster on the street, thinking to myself "that idiot banker drives around having paid more for a car with only half a windscreen" but if he's still got it today, yes his hair -- or what's left of it -- is a mess, and yes his teeth have bugs in them and road grit, but his car is worth a lot of money. Little did I know. Maybe this will be the same in a few years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts