ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know - I'm asking the opposite question that most people are. But my car has to be a functional commuter also, so I was wondering if there was any simple way to get more MPG without sacrificing any of the fun. For example, it was debated for a while on my last car if a short ram cold air intake would get more MPG and a few more HP.

Thoughts? (Stock 2012 WRX hatchback)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Generally with a tune or even stg2 you'll see an increase in mpg's or around the same mpg's with a lot more power. Is it worth it to spend all the money to mod it for the sole purpose of getting 1-2more mpg's? IMO it's not, but that's all up to you.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
On my 02 I noticed a marked increase in MPG when I went stage two. Probably because there are less restrictions so the car doesn't have to work as hard to go the same speed.

In reality, the number one thing effecting your MPG is going to be your right foot. Higher load = higher fuel consumption, no way around it. In my car I can average 14 MPG for an entire tank, then average 32 MPG for the next tank. It's all in the way you drive.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally with a tune or even stg2 you'll see an increase in mpg's or around the same mpg's with a lot more power. Is it worth it to spend all the money to mod it for the sole purpose of getting 1-2more mpg's? IMO it's not, but that's all up to you.
Agreed. I'm mostly wondering if something stupid simple like a CAI on a N/A car would do it.

How about installing a spacer on the floorboard to keep my pedal off of the ground? :)

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Over-inflate your tires by 5lbs a corner. Keep your windows closed and all electronics off. Keep the RPMS down whenever possible and drive 55 in the right lane on the highway. Put it in neutral and coast down hills. Shut the car off at longer stoplights.

Do this and you should see a dramatic increase in mileage for free.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over-inflate your tires by 5lbs a corner. Keep your windows closed and all electronics off. Keep the RPMS down whenever possible and drive 55 in the right lane on the highway. Put it in neutral and coast down hills. Shut the car off at longer stoplights.

Do this and you should see a dramatic increase in mileage for free.
LOL

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I normally get anywhere from 41-45mpg in my TDI during normal heavy foot driving. I used the advice I gave above for one fuel tank and was able to squeeze 53mpg. What a boring week driving though. :(

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Keep the RPMS down whenever possible and drive 55 in the right lane on the highway.
+1

This works, though my experience has been that rpms may not matter as much as throttle position. Just cruising at low speeds to work, I'll typically tach it on up to 3500 or even 4000rpms, so that I have torque when needed, but I don't put the pedal down. I typically got 27mph in my Stage 2 engine, 25 in the 2.5/18G.

I'll go ahead and admit that I don't drive right on the speed limit on our beltway. Everything goes smoother if I cruise at about 4-5 above the limit.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
+1

This works, though my experience has been that rpms may not matter as much as throttle position. Just cruising at low speeds to work, I'll typically tach it on up to 3500 or even 4000rpms, so that I have torque when needed, but I don't put the pedal down. I typically got 27mph in my Stage 2 engine, 25 in the 2.5/18G.

I'll go ahead and admit that I don't drive right on the speed limit on our beltway. Everything goes smoother if I cruise at about 4-5 above the limit.
I hit 4k on my TDI once. It was almost redlined lol.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I'd love to get 40+mpg from anything...maybe I should have the mechanic put a diesel back in my Rayngar.... :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I'd love to get 40+mpg from anything...maybe I should have the mechanic put a diesel back in my Rayngar.... :rotfl:
If you were in South America that would have already happened a looooong time ago. You should see some of the transplants down there. Great stuff!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts