ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so here's what I've figured out so far:

any aftermarket clutch with higher clamping strength is going to give me a heavier pedal and more sudden engagement.

so here's what I don't understand.

the OEM clutch is supposed to be able to handle a Cobb stage 3 setup. It has relatively easy engagement. The only problem I have with it is clutch shudder. When one goes in for a "normal" clutch job, do all the other parts still get replaced? Would they just replace the clutch plate or does every clutch job require that the pressure plate, throw bearing, and the rest get replaced as well?

If all that normally gets replaced is the clutch plate I was thinking of just replacing that and getting a 16 lb flywheel. That should help with power loss through the drivetrain, without all the negative effects, and still keep a light clutch pedal (I drive in heavy traffic on an almost daily basis and its just REALLY not worth it dealing with harsh engagement and fighting with the pedal).

Does this make sense? will a light flywheel make the shudder worse or better or not affect it at all?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thinking I could save the cash and be half way to a vf34...probably a much more noticable upgrade anyway...it just feels WRONG to replace something with more OEM parts....bleah.

·
Registered
664 Posts
what kind of gears do you have?

a really strong clutch will DESTROY your oem models... on a brisk launch. stock clutch is good for 12's

oh, and the subaru knows about the TSB, a new clutch should not shudder. better to spend 400 on a stocker, than 1500 on an exedy thats gonna explode your trans, and cost you 2 grand more.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the suggestions I got were for ATC and Exedy organic, but I was thinking the same thing...the OEM will HOLD 350 HP...it just slips a little more durring engagement. since I'm not a drag racer, 12's are plenty for me. Now I just have to figure out how a 16lb clutch would play with oem parts. Of course I could just save the $400 on the flywheel and get a catted Helix DP...which again, could probably be significantly more noticable than the flywheel.

I guess my clutch job is on the verge of going from a $1000 afair to something like $400 :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts