Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2022 WRX is on time and I'll pick it up Monday. I'm tired of watching WRX videos (not really), and I can't wait to drive it off the lot. 5 long painful anxious days left lol. I'll post again after I get it. I went with the base model and add on's, less fancy stuff the better. But yeah got the essentials like the short throw shifter/sti knob, and a few other goodies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Subaru has come through again. Just got notice today that it's arriving even earlier. Expected tomorrow or Friday at the least so I'm picking him up on Saturday. Now I get to play this weekend! Got to give a shout out to the awesome folks at Irvine Subaru, this is my 5th Subaru from them, and they have always treated me like family since day one. You can tell when people really care, and love what they do. I've never had a single complaint about them, from sales to service, always helpful, quick, and looking out for my best interests. I'll post again this weekend!

·
In Æternum
17,155 Posts
Don't ignore your break-in period!

Then let us know your real thoughts ;)

Reactions: carlgarrard2112

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a benedryll lol. 8 solid hours! My first was a 2010 Forester, ex wife still has it. 2nd was 2014 WRX Hatchback, 3rd 2018 Crosstrek, 4th 2021 Ascent (still have that and will keep it), and now the 2022 WRX :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found out they didn't install the illuminated foot well lights or the engine underguard as part of my custom order. I guess Subaru is having parts issues and they will get them in the future then have them installed.

Not essential items so I don't care much, but at least they did install the short throw shifter/sti shift knob/auto dim rear mirror, wrx AW mats, vortex generator, and the blue Subaru Oil Cap and Battery tie down. It's a good start.

All season tires will come this fall (gonna go a bit beefier probably 245/50 or 55's as I have many fire roads in my area), and likely I'll upgrade the exhaust. So far I'm liking the ETS Cat-Back Exhaust with no/muffler (resonated) with the stealth black tips option (you can get blue, stainless, or black tips).

I'm poking around for Cobb updates on tuning. I want to increase the redline limit to 6,250-6,500 if possible. Seems silly that the FA24 in the BRZ can go to 7,000 rpm...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone meet my new baby boy, Solar. Born 8-6-2022 at 11:32am. He was born one week and three days early, but you could never tell. He's a healthy 3,299.8 lbs (just over expected weight). He can already run fast,completely skipped the crawling and walking phase. Subaru Irvine came through again, dropping the price another 500 bucks and had a great deal on the bumper to bumper 6 yr 60K warranty that dropped my interest rate another 2.2%. Basically I got the warranty for free from where I qualified initially.

Man I tell you I think the initial bad press on the WRX will come back to haunt those who were bandwagoning on the negativity. Now that I've had to take it through some curves and get to know it more than the test drives, I have to say this new 2022 WRX is awesome. There are lots of nice little surprises, even with the base model, too long to list in fact. There's plenty of tech even in the base model, and when it comes to handling and responsiveness, overall fit and finish and quality of feel, it just blows my 2014 WRX away. I'm extremely happy with it.

I may even hold off on getting exhaust because the stock exhaust sounds really good and well rounded- we'll see. It's so hard not going over 4,000rpm... but I was able to get it into some corners and boy I can't believe how good it handles. It's ridiculous on normal back roads and street, I know it's not the best track car out there for the hair splitters and spec hero's... but driving it gives you a completely different impression than reading about it. It just fricken goes right where you aim it, no roll, no flex, just nose in and on the point! A total pleasure to drive that can't be measured in a lab or through tests.

If you stay about 65/70 I think it can easily get 30mpg or maybe a bit more on long open roads/freeway driving. Love watching the boost gauge, and there's other easter eggs of technology that I had no idea it had (just didn't dive into that stuff on the test drives before), like the maintenance log screen that keeps track of your oil changes etc, the internal gyro that shows your car angle and AWD system engaging, fun stuff like that. If you tinker with the stock stereo, its' really nice too. Had zero issues paring my android phone and no glitches with the USB/mp3 files. The voice activation is hugely improved over my 2021 Ascent and 2018 Crosstrek, LOVE IT.

Absolutely love my new baby boy, and I recommend anyone sitting on the fence reading about it online to go take an extended test drive with one. Experiencing it in person is a totally different ballgame.

Tomorrow I'm driving out to the CA desert to see if I can catch up with some Monsoon storms and get some miles under its break in.

Attachments

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Not ... "completely" different :) lol
Yes. It is. It is extremely important that is understood.

They have 3 of them at my local dealer, including one of the orange ones. I don't know if they are ordered or stock but I've considered going and test driving one. I've really been holding out for a unicorn 06 but I think a new car is the more practical option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everyone meet my new baby boy, Solar. Born 8-6-2022 at 11:32am. He was born one week and three days early, but you could never tell. He's a healthy 3,299.8 lbs (just over expected weight). He can already run fast,completely skipped the crawling and walking phase. Subaru Irvine came through again, dropping the price another 500 bucks and had a great deal on the bumper to bumper 6 yr 60K warranty that dropped my interest rate another 2.2%. Basically I got the warranty for free from where I qualified initially.

Man I tell you I think the initial bad press on the WRX will come back to haunt those who were bandwagoning on the negativity. Now that I've had to take it through some curves and get to know it more than the test drives, I have to say this new 2022 WRX is awesome. There are lots of nice little surprises, even with the base model, too long to list in fact. There's plenty of tech even in the base model, and when it comes to handling and responsiveness, overall fit and finish and quality of feel, it just blows my 2014 WRX away. I'm extremely happy with it.

I may even hold off on getting exhaust because the stock exhaust sounds really good and well rounded- we'll see. It's so hard not going over 4,000rpm... but I was able to get it into some corners and boy I can't believe how good it handles. It's ridiculous on normal back roads and street, I know it's not the best track car out there for the hair splitters and spec hero's... but driving it gives you a completely different impression than reading about it. It just fricken goes right where you aim it, no roll, no flex, just nose in and on the point! A total pleasure to drive that can't be measured in a lab or through tests.

If you stay about 65/70 I think it can easily get 30mpg or maybe a bit more on long open roads/freeway driving. Love watching the boost gauge, and there's other easter eggs of technology that I had no idea it had (just didn't dive into that stuff on the test drives before), like the maintenance log screen that keeps track of your oil changes etc, the internal gyro that shows your car angle and AWD system engaging, fun stuff like that. If you tinker with the stock stereo, its' really nice too. Had zero issues paring my android phone and no glitches with the USB/mp3 files. The voice activation is hugely improved over my 2021 Ascent and 2018 Crosstrek, LOVE IT.

Absolutely love my new baby boy, and I recommend anyone sitting on the fence reading about it online to go take an extended test drive with one. Experiencing it in person is a totally different ballgame.

Tomorrow I'm driving out to the CA desert to see if I can catch up with some Monsoon storms and get some miles under its break in.
Your new born story.lmao... congrats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. It is. It is extremely important that is understood.

They have 3 of them at my local dealer, including one of the orange ones. I don't know if they are ordered or stock but I've considered going and test driving one. I've really been holding out for a unicorn 06 but I think a new car is the more practical option.
It's just a different version of the FA24, but they share many of the same parts- no turbo of course, but still.

No?

·
In Æternum
17,155 Posts
It's just a different version of the FA24, but they share many of the same parts- no turbo of course, but still.

No?
Completely different heads, cams, pistons, and fueling (GR86 uses Toyota's D4S fueling while WRX only uses Subaru direct injection).

These are the things that influence the rev limit which is what you were comparing.

Reactions: carlgarrard2112
1 - 17 of 17 Posts