Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do like my Momo steering wheel, but why is it so big? It is even bigger than on my former Protege. I checked the Momo website, and it seems like we got the biggest diameter steering wheel they offer - the closest in size is a "club4" model (which is, I assume, for SUVs). Ours is between 360 and 400 mm (depending how you measure it) in diameter, but regular Momo's steering wheel is around 300 mm.
What was a reason to choose 360 mm? Space for the airbag?

I hope I am not asking a question that was already answered.
I checked both clubwrx and i-club, but could not find anything related.

Vlad

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I think officially the stock Momo is listed as a 380mm wheel(ie basically ours is an airbaged version of the Club/Olympic(I think they had a model called that). Most sport/racing steering wheels for touring cars are generally 330-350mm, rarely would you want to run 300mm. This of course is by personal preference and is also partially dictated by how quick your steering rack is(can you imagine having 3turns lock to lock on a 280mm cart wheel? hehe).
Back to the stock Momo, larger wheels are generally more comfortable to drive with(in line with shoulders), which I suppose is quite unfortunate in our case since we don't drive it like a Cadillac on straight highway. If you are willing to go airbagless, many wheels from Momo, Sparco, OMP, etc are not expensive and I'm personally partial to suede grips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks schischwein!

schischwein said:
I think officially the stock Momo is listed as a 380mm wheel(ie basically ours is an airbaged version of the Club/Olympic(I think they had a model called that).
Olympic is listed as 365mm wheel.

... Back to the stock Momo, larger wheels are generally more comfortable to drive with(in line with shoulders), which I suppose is quite unfortunate in our case since we don't drive it like a Cadillac on straight highway. ...
Agreed!!! But the rest of the world (well, at least Europe and Australia) get the same size :confused: Anyway, it is not a big deal, but personally I would prefer a smaller steering wheel:

Vlad

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to have a 95 Volvo 850....now you think the WRX wheel is big? Let me tell you...driving that thing around was like manuvering a Mac truck. No wonder those cars are so safe, its all steering wheel and airbag. My grandmother has a 98 S70 and the wheel is alot smaller after those years. I sure do miss that car though....I could do the best e-brake tunrs in it. :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
My dad's old 1970 chevy truck has a steering wheel the size of a geo metro tire...

I think the momo steering wheel that came in the car is just right for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see... Seems like the majority of WRX drivers wouldn't mind a bigger/more comfortable size of the steering wheel. Well, most of the time I feel as comfortable as everyone else, but, occasionally, driving twisty roads I feel like I need a bit quicker reaction from my steering. BUT:

shorter responses = more attention required = tiring ride :(

Thanks everyone,

Vlad

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
My CRX has a wheel the same as Vlad posted. Big gumballs, no power steering, 300mm wheel. Me manly man! ;) Good thing the car only ways 1900lbs!

After that the Rex wheel feels huge and way too light. I'm only 5'5" so the airbag would probably f**k me up pretty good so I'm seriously considering ditching the airbag and going for a little Momo.

Chris

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm a big guy and I love it. I drive my Civic Si now and it feels like the puny toy that it is.

·
895 Posts
i LOVE the momo wheel, but heres my gripe: you can't friggin adjust the steering wheel position (laterally) - i know its mostly a luxury car option, but i'd like to be able to have the wheel positioned closer to the dash...thats just cause i'm lil short dude and hafta put the seat up realllllll close to reach the pedals, and when i turn the wheel my elbows hit the side supports on the seat and it feels really cramped.

otherwise, perfect size

·
980 Posts

·
980 Posts
Solberg is the best guy Team Subaru has right now, i hope he wins alot of the up and coming rallies. i think it'd be cool to have the paddle shift assited transmission in my car. 1st - 3rd gear in a instant, literal "flick of the wrist"

-c

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Vlad, yeah I'm not much of fan of that sort of steering wheel that you posted(ie off centered). For those you are similar to me(prefer smaller wheel and hub centered) but like leather over suede, the Momo Competition is perforated leather and round rimed. Round or oval works for me, suede is pref, and size 330-350. Sidenote: I wish we could go back to the days where airbags are options(and have a multipoint rollcage as the other option...hehe).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
schischwein said:
Vlad, yeah I'm not much of fan of that sort of steering wheel that you posted(ie off centered). For those you are similar to me(prefer smaller wheel and hub centered) but like leather over suede, the Momo Competition is perforated leather and round rimed. Round or oval works for me, suede is pref, and size 330-350.
This one?

I like it too. Yes, 330-350 will do just fine...
Vlad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts