Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a job with foreign service which means I'll be moving to a different country every few years. I bought the WRX for its excellent AWD, rally ruggedness and of course the power. My concerns are these

1) High-test fuel may not be readily available
2) Don't want to lower the car, will see MANY gravel/mud roads

I understand that upping the boost will necessitate 93 octane, so what mods do ya'll suggest that would let my Subie live a long and rally-esque life abroad?:confused:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Seems like these would make sense.

1. TXS stealth turbo back
2. up-pipe
3. MBC

These are all things that will last you a long time, and increase the power without necesitating a new ECU. You could adjust the bost fairly easily depending on fuel quality for your location, allowing you to keep it close to or at stock levels when required.

If you like playing in the dirt, I would hightly suggest:

1. Big, functional mud flaps

They'll save you from tons of unnecissary rock chips.

Any idea as to where they're sending you first?

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Well shipping can get mighty expensive to places like japan, also if your moving somewhere in europe gas prices will own you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our State Dept. pays for all travel and shipping costs, but the ridiculous cost of fuel had crossed my mind...btw, what kind of mileage should I expect with an up-pipe, down-pipe, muffler and about 15ish lbs of boost?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are going anywhere as rough as it sounds I would stay away from any form of boost control. Let the ECU do its thing and just take advantage of the basic exhaust mods. They provide plenty of power over stock and you run no risk of blowing your motor because you forgot to dial the boost down because you got bad gas. A good quality Up pipe and turbo back would be the most reliable for the unknown. Heck, get an ECU reflash, while you are at it and leave all the boost control nonsense aside.

Another important thing is to get some skidplates from Primitive in addition to those mudflaps. having some real underbody protection is a handy thing when whacking around the bush. SS brakelines are also good, better braking and more resistance to being cut from who knows what. Get some protection for your fogs and headlights. Additional lighting is also really important in the rough, so you might want to look into that as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.