ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new 2012 WRX. What does everyone recommend to get this car to run 12 flats? I want to run 91 octane and it is my daily driver. I have seen that a cold air intake and tune help this car a lot. I was thinking towards a Cobb intake and tune. What does everyone think? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Have you driven it at the drag strip yet? What does it run? Do you have experience driving at the drag strip?

At altitude, I was able to get a 13.4 1/4 mile (which is about 12.6) with just a VF39, turbo back exhaust, intake, intercooler, and tune.

If you just bought the car, you should hold off on modifying it for a bit. Stick around here, read some sticky's, and learn how to properly modify the car for exactly what you'd like.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not gone to the track yet. I want to put a few thousand miles on first. I used to drag race a 11 second mustang and 9 sec camero. I have read that these cars run mid 13's stock. I can't wait to find out. I just want to see what everyone has done to get to 12 flats in these cars.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I should be 12 flat at altitude (so low 11's in the bay) if you'd like to read my build thread in my signature.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Blouch 20g turbo, a quality fmic, EWG, turbo-back exhaust, pro-tune from a well known Subaru tuner. And have enough money set aside for a motor/tranny build down the road.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
I have not gone to the track yet. I want to put a few thousand miles on first. I used to drag race a 11 second mustang and 9 sec camero. I have read that these cars run mid 13's stock. I can't wait to find out. I just want to see what everyone has done to get to 12 flats in these cars.
Welcome. I'm in Sacto, and on my 06 (less power stock/smaller turbo) with just a turbo back and a Cobb AP stage 2, I ran a 13.8 at Sac speedway. With a protune I picked up 40hp and 66 ft-lbs of torque, and my but dyno puts it in the 13.2 range. I never re-ran because I didn't want to buy a tranny. While I was there there was an 05 STI with stock VF39, turbo back, bigger TMIC and a dyno tune ticking off 12.1's consistently the whole night.

If you want to run your fastest, go on a 70deg or lower day. I ran a 13.8 at 60deg F, and a month later (pre-protune) at 95deg F ran a 14.1 3 times in a row.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone. Anybody have a intake, Cobb down pipe, stock exhaust and Cobb stage 2 tune? I have read that makes a big difference

·
Registered
902 Posts
thanks everyone. Anybody have a intake, Cobb down pipe, stock exhaust and Cobb stage 2 tune? I have read that makes a big difference
The intake doesn't do much on these cars with the stock turbo, mostly just sound. I had just a Cobb downpipe with the stock cbe for a few months and it was a nice set up. Ended up selling that and buying a full 3 inch Invidia Q300 turbo back exhaust. With just that tbe and Cobb stage 2 93 octane map I ran a 12.80 @ 107 in the 1/4 on a 50 degree day.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Maybe with a protune (dyno tune). I hit 13.8 with that setup, your turbo is better, but not 1 sec in the 1/4. And your model is 200-300 lbs heavier.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The intake doesn't do much on these cars with the stock turbo, mostly just sound. I had just a Cobb downpipe with the stock cbe for a few months and it was a nice set up. Ended up selling that and buying a full 3 inch Invidia Q300 turbo back exhaust. With just that tbe and Cobb stage 2 93 octane map I ran a 12.80 @ 107 in the 1/4 on a 50 degree day.
I didn't think that a full tbe vs just dp made that much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Intake is a non necessity for 02-05 wrx/wrx-sti
Intake is alright if you want it for 06-07 wrx/wrx-sti
Intake is recommended for 08+

·
Registered
902 Posts
so if I put a Cobb down pipe, air filter, and Cobb stage 2 tune could I hit 12's on 91 octane?
It depends on many factors but I doubt it. Everything had to be perfect for me to break into the 12's on 93 octane while only 50 degree's with no wind.

I didn't think that a full tbe vs just dp made that much of a difference?
It's not a huge difference with just an ots tune but it does help on top end I feel.

Intake is a non necessity for 02-05 wrx/wrx-sti
Intake is alright if you want it for 06-07 wrx/wrx-sti
Intake is recommended for 08+
I actually ran into the 12's with the stock intake then put the AEM on a few weeks after and to be honest I couldn't feel a difference other than the sound. I didn't run the car with the AEM at the track.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I actually ran into the 12's with the stock intake then put the AEM on a few weeks after and to be honest I couldn't feel a difference other than the sound. I didn't run the car with the AEM at the track.
That's because 10-20hp is impossible to feel with your butt dyno. Have to remember too, add on parts are not all about peak numbers! Two cars with different intakes could both make for example 300hp; but one could make an easy 10-20hp throughout the entire mid range and that's more important since that's where you are most of the time in a drag race.

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's because 10-20hp is impossible to feel with your butt dyno. Have to remember too, add on parts are not all about peak numbers! Two cars with different intakes could both make for example 300hp; but one could make an easy 10-20hp throughout the entire mid range and that's more important since that's where you are most of the time in a drag race.
I am aware of this. Just saying it didn't do much for me but sound cool.

The tuner I am going to recommended the stock intake at the power levels I will be at so I will most likely stay with it.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I am aware of this. Just saying it didn't do much for me but sound cool.

The tuner I am going to recommended the stock intake at the power levels I will be at so I will most likely stay with it.
your tuner is telling you to sell your AEM intake and go back to stock and you're doing it? i dont mean to rag on your tuner but he's wrong. although you have no profile filled out so i cant see what car you have, but if you already have it, i can promise you... some positive outcome will come from an intake no matter what level your at. i dont care if you it only gains you 5hp peak or through the mid range...5hp is 5hp. why go through the trouble in selling it and losing money on it? sounds like he just doesnt want to retune you MAF scale or something.

·
Registered
902 Posts
your tuner is telling you to sell your AEM intake and go back to stock and you're doing it? i dont mean to rag on your tuner but he's wrong. although you have no profile filled out so i cant see what car you have, but if you already have it, i can promise you... some positive outcome will come from an intake no matter what level your at. i dont care if you it only gains you 5hp peak or through the mid range...5hp is 5hp. why go through the trouble in selling it and losing money on it? sounds like he just doesnt want to retune you MAF scale or something.
Actually Hill from Agile Auto is one of the best Subaru tuners in the business. I asked what he suggest for my power goals and an intake was not on the list so I asked about it. Never told me to sell mine if I have one.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Don't know about you, but I'm nowhere near midrange in my drag races. I'm between 6 and 7k rpm with the exception of the launch when I'm at around 5k.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.