ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made an appointment with my Subaru dealer (Irvine, CA) to have some modifications completed on my new WRX. Although I've learned quite a bit over the past month, I'm still very "green".

The following was their suggestion for the best first step:

- MRT turbo back exhaust ($1,199)
- AEM cold air intake ($209)
- GReddy ProfecB Boost Controller ($429.95)
- GReddy 60mm Electronic Warning Gauge ($245)

The technician told me to expect an increase of about 35-40 hp (hopefully at the wheel!).

Currently, I have no mods. Without splitting hairs, is this a good overall approach? I was quoted about $2,500-$2,600 for the total job. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
have you been reading up on this site? there is a WEALTH of information here and a lot to learn.
i dont know what you are planning on doing ultimately with the car or how you feel about your warranty, but your plan of attack isnt the most from what i have seen.
use the search function at the top right of the page to search for things like 'initial mods' or other keywords like that to bring up posts already discussing this topic.
if you want to get an electronic boost controller, the Blitz SBC-iD is supposed to be very nice.
also search for manual boost controller (mbc), uppipe, lightweight pulleys, unichip, samco intercooler hoses, k+n air filter
it seems that it makes more sense to go with the k+n than the CAI on the WRX because they both give comparable gains.
the mods that many people do first is the k+n, samco intercooler hoses, mbc and an uppipe because they both give a lot of hp considering the money spent.
the exhaust is always a good mod, but not what most people start out with since its not best as far as 'bang for the buck' goes.
so yeah, there is some advice, but it all depends on what you want to do specifically with your car. enjoy it...
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have actually done a *ton* of reading on this site. It's really difficult to know which mod path to follow without having real experience.

I'm not exactly looking for the best bang for the buck, but would rather make modifications that make the best sense overall. I do not have any big racing plans, but would love to have a smartly modded WRX with a good bit of extra power. It'd be nice to know that I can beat "the other guy" most of the time when the ocassional street race opportunity pops up on my way to work.

I'm basically placing my trust with the Subaru service center that they'll give good, accurate modification advice. They have a website at www.spimotorworks.com. I'm not sure if all Subaru dealerships have a "high performance" service center, but this one does.

One of my co-workers has a Saleen Mustang and was challenged by a WRX a few days ago. He beat the WRX by 2 car lengths at 85 mph on a short street, before he had to slam on the brakes to enter the building parking lot.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I seriously doubt you will get 35hp to the wheel with those mods. Question whats a warning gauge? I wouldnt get the MRT catback, go for the Blitz Nur Spec Catback. Thats all I have to say. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A warning gauge (by GReddy) is:

"These are GReddy's top of the line gauges. By splitting up the gauge into 3 main parts: (head, datalink & sensor), GReddy can add extra features like a warning point with a warning light, peak recall, and a peak mode".

Thanks -- I'll check out the Blitz Nur Spec Catback. Do dealerships get pissed off if you bring parts for them to install?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nope they shouldnt, they get money for the installation so why would they?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd hope they woudn't mind, especially if they're not on commission, which I don't think they are. They're charging me $429 for the GReddy ProfecB electronic boost control. Vividracing has it for $309. I figure why not save $120?

The service center didn't mention adding an uppipe to the MRT turbo exhaust system. Wouldn't this be worthwhile?

·
4,769 Posts
First mods you should do are uppipe and boost controller then maybe turbo back exhaust of some kind. There are MANY nicer exhausts than MRT but some don't come with a cat for emmissions. More power but some people like to stay legal. No way in hell a turbo back will give you 35 whp or crank hp. Someone's been smoking the fish or something. The Greddy gauges are actually quite nice and the best value out there. Again there are nicer gauges but you'll spend more. Do the uppipe while they're doing your downpipe.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just a suggestion, drop the AEM CAI and add an uppipe instead, especially if your adding a turbo-back exhaust and a boost controller.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I choose not to go with the MRT turbo back, what would you suggest? My preference is for a system that is not loud, although low sounds are nice. However, I get the feeling that the best systems are probably the loudest due to the low restriction. I'm willing to compromise slightly, to keep the noise down in the low range.

What uppipe would you suggest?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the MRT turbo back and love it. Its not to loud yet has a very nice low rumble to it. i also got the MRT CAI and wouldn't be at all surprised if the two combined to give a 35 hp boost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts